The Ultimate CUPRA MK3 Tuning Thread

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
Now when the car has some years on it's back and the tuning market is growing for it as more and more owners are tuning their cars. the number of YouTube videos of CUPRAs going over 360hp are growing by the week.
I think we should discuss all tuning related information in one single thread unless someone wants to open a specific tuning thread for a specific build log or product etc. It will make it much easier to find information and sort everything.
Many questions are asked over and over again and it's hard to find the good information.
Also much information from early years seems to be misleading.

What do you think? Should we start or should i delete this thread?
The pros and more experienced owners of tuned cars can start feeding this thread if you like the idea.

Reactions: Jordan Neill

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I like it as I’ve only had my cupra for a month and I’m not going to be tuning the balls out of it, but I am looking to make some mods in the very near future.

One question I have about tuning, are tuners able to enable a map through the driving modes on the infotainment system? As I have the 280 model it obviously lacks a decent exhaust note (which I am addressing) and I would like some pops and burbles on the overrun. The fear I have is having these all the time even when in “comfort” and just turning into a bit of a nuisance.

But it’s a thumbs up from me non the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

Good Idea however there are many aspects to tuning a car, Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust, Suspension (and all the associated bits that go with it) , Brakes, Wheels, Body Kits, VCDS Modes. I did a things to consider thread a while ago but I keep learning more all the time.

Also we have the variation of FWD vs AWD and are you (as the title suggest) keeping it Cupra only.

But it is a good idea however people need to be clear on the subject matter to make it easier for people to find what they are looking for as i am sure this will get very long very quickly. I would also stress you dont want this ending up with mine is better than yours just get people to explain why the chose the items they did (Money, Longevity, Comfort etc)

solbes

May 28, 2014
Hi all. I have a question:
How safe is an ECU remap on a 290 2019? I'm very tempted on doing this, but I don't want my engine/transmission to wear out faster than it should be (does this happen at all with a remap?)
Are there any common issues with a remapping? Are there any risks?

Thank you all in advance

Deleted member 103408

@solbes Before going any further you do realise on a new car you would void your warranty by doing this.

AlexOS

Hi all. I have a question:
How safe is an ECU remap on a 290 2019? I'm very tempted on doing this, but I don't want my engine/transmission to wear out faster than it should be (does this happen at all with a remap?)
Are there any common issues with a remapping? Are there any risks?

Thank you all in advance
I have a MY19 Cupra ST and I have found speaking to APR and Revo that we cannot remap 2019 models at the moment. The remap software for the pre-MY19 will not work with our cars due to the addition of the GPF.

Neither company is going to be releasing anything soon.

In the case of Revo, they told me they are not going to even start looking into it until the current projects are completed, so not to expect anything until late summer / early autumn at the absolute earliest.

APR said that they haven't started working on the VWFS cars yet but that they are not hopeful of much improvement at stage I for any GPF cars, as the couple they are working on are showing minimal increases at stage I, and even then they are concerned about the emissions legality etc caused by the changes with the GPF.

Personally I'm still really P@~+ed off at my dealer as I ordered and wanted the Pre-Wk42 cupra, and mine was literally one of the first off the production line on the Monday that they changed over to the Wk42 (Copper) spec, but if they had not delayed placing the order, i would have got a pre-WLTP car and wouldn't have had either the copper OR the GPF..

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
This **** needs to end.
They need to create a new category for performance cars as this is killing everything.
In Sweden you pay now 2200 EUR a year for owning a V8 that sits in a Mustang S550. How many miles does this Mustang roll a year compared to a fleet of 2.0 Passats? All these regulations and environmental goals should be broken into categories. But why not milk people for 2200 EUR a year for owning a V8 if you can? The more expensive option is always the way the bureaucrats go.

Now they are literally killing off tuning potential with these new hardware components?
Only good thing about this is that older CUPRAs will keep higher value now in the 2nd hand market.

I had to google your acronyms, here is the result:

GPF - gasoline particulate filters
VWFS - Volkswagen Financial Services ?? Doesn't make sense in your sentence.

AlexOS

This **** needs to end.
They need to create a new category for performance cars as this is killing everything.
In Sweden you pay now 2200 EUR a year for owning a V8 that sits in a Mustang S550. How many miles does this Mustang roll a year compared to a fleet of 2.0 Passats? All these regulations and environmental goals should be broken into categories. But why not milk people for 2200 EUR a year for owning a V8 if you can? The more expensive option is always the way the bureaucrats go.

Now they are literally killing off tuning potential with these new hardware components?
Only good thing about this is that older CUPRAs will keep higher value now in the 2nd hand market.

I had to google your acronyms, here is the result:

GPF - gasoline particulate filters
VWFS - Volkswagen Financial Services ?? Doesn't make sense in your sentence.

Sorry.. I meant VWAG (Volkswagen Audi Group)
They generally sort the remap on a Gold R, and then minor adjustments as necessary for the Cupra and Audi's..

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
This **** needs to end.

If the CO2 numbers in the reviews are correct for ST R the roadtaxes in Sweden is almost twice as high compared to a Cupra ST :/

solbes

May 28, 2014
Ok. Here's the big question. My Cupra is MY 2019, but doesn't have the copper emblems. I think it was the first batch of MY 2019 they made. My DSG is a 6 speed as well, I've been reading that it now comes with a 7 speed. So is there a remap for it? Or what I just mentioned has nothing to do with the Wk42 (I have no idea what this is).
Thanks all for your replies

Deleted member 103408

The issue that @AlexOS is refering to is that his car has come with a GPF Fitted to the exhaust to meet the new WLTP Testing rules.

If you have a GPF Fitted then neither Revo nor APR are currently offering a Map but i have seen some comments that the tuning box's are up and running but have no firm details.

Best thing to do is go to your mapping company and ask specifically about your car because for example I know that Revo have a specific map for each ECU I.D (Which is a combination of model/engine variant along with ECU Maker (Bosch, Siemens etc))

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
If the CO2 numbers in the reviews are correct for ST R the roadtaxes in Sweden is almost twice as high compared to a Cupra ST :/
CO2 emissions are unchanged for the Cupra R ST as per the normal Cupra ST 4 Drive. As the ABT is an extra modifiction after its let the factory can't see that changing either. I notice none of the reviews coming out are 1) accurate, and 2) based on a car with the the ABT module.

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
CO2 emissions are unchanged for the Cupra R ST as per the normal Cupra ST 4 Drive. As the ABT is an extra modifiction after its let the factory can't see that changing either. I notice none of the reviews coming out are 1) accurate, and 2) based on a car with the the ABT module.

Yeah I noticed after I posted that Seat have the old spec on its webpage

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
Can't you simply replace it with with non gpf catback? And then program out the gpf and tune like any other?

Deleted member 103408

I dont know but it seems you could logically but that starts making a stage 1 map much more expensive and certainly in the UK That will leave the car in a state where I am pretty sure it would fail MOT in 3 years time (as its supposed to have one and will not have it).

I would also point out these new WLTP engines are different to the pre WLTP engines.

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
I dont know but it seems you could logically but that starts making a stage 1 map much more expensive and certainly in the UK That will leave the car in a state where I am pretty sure it would fail MOT in 3 years time (as its supposed to have one and will not have it).

I would also point out these new WLTP engines are different to the pre WLTP engines.
I spoke to a local vag tuner about tuning the new WLTP engine I have in mine. He was the one who informed me it longer had multi port fuel injection as the particle filter makes it redundant as the extra injectors were help it pass euro emissions other than that it’s the same engine. But the particle filter is the major stumbling point due to the restriction it causes and sensors to the ecu. I’m gutted as I really wanted to have this one mapped after my old 280 was written off but didn’t realise the new restrictions on the engine for the wltp vehicles. I would of bought a bit older 300.

Deleted member 103408

Sounds like DPF all over again and they found a way round that it just takes time.

Just to add to this I know that some of the NEW ECU's are still locked out to the tuners but you can bet teams of people are working on fixing the problem because otherwise they dont get paid.

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
I imagine it will be cracked. This relates to the vw r, Audi s3 and Skoda vrs so still massive tuning potential

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.