Racingline OEM+ Map

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
So I've had Racingline OEM+ on my car for a bit now, so thought I'd write up a bit of a review which will hopefully help some people unsure whether or not to take the jump and invest.

I previously had a 2016 Cupra 290 that was entirely Racingline too; OEM+ Stage 2, TCU Map, Oil Management, FMIC, all 3 upgraded engine mounts, R600 and all intake hardware. So I'm quite familiar with what to expect from Racingline, but nothing ever really prepares you for the step up from stock to stage 1. It's always a pleasant and shocking surprise when you go from what is already a fast car, to something much faster, but yet feeling more efficient and reliable in achieving the performance, and all from essentially a software update.

When I picked up my R, I was always going to go back to Racingline for more work, only this time it's slightly different as I now have a manual and I intend to go full stage 3. I let VAG Manchester and Racingline know my intention of going to stage 3 and we have a rough plan to get there. I will be taking my time with the build and I will be doing various dyno runs at each stage to show the gains/losses with each mod, although the final bhp/torque figures aren't what my build is about.

Racingline have a lot of racing pedigree with them, and it clearly is evident in the performance from their hardware and software. Just from my current OEM+ stage 1 map, the car feels sharper, more awake. The accelerator has become a lot more sensitive, just the slightest of touches and the car growls and pounces on its prey in front. I've not done a dyno run yet - as everyone knows with the stock Cupra clutches in the manual cars (and as Racingline nicely put it), they are made pretty much out of chocolate. So I'm slightly cautious of this during full throttle. However, the motion through the rev range is so smooth. I personally feel the power delivery in my manual R is better than in my previous 290 DSG. I just wish I could change gear as quick as the DSG :) However, it still throws you deep into the seat and the gear changes are a lot more satisfying with the burbles/gargles/pops from the exhaust (also contributed to by the VAGSport Res Delete). I believe that the pops on gear change and overrun aren't intentionally put into the maps, it's just a very happy coincidence.

On a side note...oddly my fuel economy has improved too! No idea how, but with the res delete and the OEM+ map, I'm getting late 30 to mid 40mpg...highest I've achieved so far on the M6 during rush hour was 45.6mpg. I only just about achieved this on my 290 after the FMIC was installed. I wouldn't say I'm a 'slow' driver. But I'm certainly not a 'full throttle everywhere' driver either. I get on average around 420miles per full tank (I do get a bit giddy towards the end of the tank).

The next step is to get a Sachs Sintered clutch fitted - setting it up ready for OEM+ stage 3, and allowing me to dyno the car throughout the build. The plan is to dyno the car with just the OEM+ map, then dyno it after each hardware upgrade - next one will be the R600 intake with all the hardware to go with (muffler delete, turbo intake hose, turbo elbow).

I can't recommend Racingline enough :) I'll hopefully have some dyno figures to show in the coming months.

Reactions: LouG and Maypack

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Don’t want to sound like a @paddy6789 and @Damo H stuck record.

So I will just say all of the above. Only difference I don’t have a chocolate clutch and my car goes like stink.

I almost forgive being bullied into it haha

*There isn’t a crazy enough smiley face to insert here*

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
Impressive fuel economy....
I have no clue how you make 420miles on a tank. Thats like 650km.
On stock I was making 500km only.
Now on stage 3 it is 400km.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I think Damo was ready to kill me with the screenshots of my mpg on my last car. I'll grab some on this one so people can see I'm not making it up :)
I guess the crawling stop/start traffic on the wonderful M6 helps keeping it high

brivww

Brian W
Jan 30, 2018
Don’t want to sound like a @paddy6789 and @Damo H stuck record.

So I will just say all of the above. Only difference I don’t have a chocolate clutch and my car goes like stink.

I almost forgive being bullied into it haha

*There isn’t a crazy enough smiley face to insert here*

What's your fuel economy now compared to standard?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
What's your fuel economy now compared to standard?
It hasn't really changed for me. I did the 'improved traction' mod via OBD11 and that brought it down a fair chunk as basically turned 4WD on all the time. However don't really need it since getting the strut brace so turned it off yesterday. So going to see how the mpg fairs.

But in normal driving it shouldn't really be any worse than before. It would just be when you boot it.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
The Racingline pedigree comes from the Motorsport history of Volkswagen Racing (now Racingline) and Shark Performance (now Racingline OEM+)

I've been around VW Racing for 10+ years and they spend a lot of ££££ on research and development.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
The Racingline pedigree comes from the Motorsport history of Volkswagen Racing (now Racingline) and Shark Performance (now Racingline OEM+)

I've been around VW Racing for 10+ years and they spend a lot of ££££ on research and development.
You're the reason I went R600 and eventually Racingline anyway! So I blame you for the money spent haha

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Haha maybe I'm a secret sales person for them... haha nah I've just seen the work they put into stuff throughout the years.

Reactions: paddy6789

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Hi Paddy
Curious as to how much power you made in your 290 on OEM+ stage 2? Is their TCU map as good as I have heard?
Your current build sounds amazing!
I really liked their TCU map, it transformed the car for me, even more than the ECU maps. @Damo H has it on his Carbon now and can vouch for it too (hopefully).

Stage 2, plus the FMIC, custom turbo back system, and R600 kit was probably a comfortable 400-410 (as Racingline explained), weather and fuel type permitting.

Traction was a problem but engine mounts and decent tyres sorted that.

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
Hey Paddy

I’ve just completed the upgrade to stage 1 Racingline OEM+ ECU and TCU on my 280.

1 word only. PHENOMENAL!!

I can only echo what paddy has said, although I have the DSG. I haven’t driven it enough to comment on the TCU yet, maybe on my trip back from the north tomorrow.

First impressions are that I can’t stop grinning.

Reactions: paddy6789

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
How much is the OEM+ stage 1 upgrade from Racingline? I have a manual 2016 Cupra and was going to go with APR but I can't see any discount deals at the moment with them.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
How much is the OEM+ stage 1 upgrade from Racingline? I have a manual 2016 Cupra and was going to go with APR but I can't see any discount deals at the moment with them.
Normal price is £720, they were doing a discounted combined price of £1200 with the TCU, but not sure if there is a deal on ECU only for manuals.

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
Since we're talking about the Racing line products, anyone carried out back to back dyno runs with and without their R600 induction kit up to and including the inlet 90? The guys I was planning to use for the APR stage 1 tune said you would see around a 10hp increase with the map and the Racing line induction system. Can anyone verify that?

DGF264

Jul 15, 2010
County Durham
@paddy6789 hope you’re well!
Sorry for the thread revival haha…

Could you DM me your number if you don’t mind? I’ve got loads of questions about the oem+ as I’m potentially looking at changing ECU maps to Racinglines.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
@paddy6789 hope you’re well!
Sorry for the thread revival haha…

Could you DM me your number if you don’t mind? I’ve got loads of questions about the oem+ as I’m potentially looking at changing ECU maps to Racinglines.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Short answer, do it and speak to Mark at Progressive Parts/VAG Manchester lol

Reactions: DGF264