Mandatory speed limiters to be fitted to all new cars in Europe after 2022

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
The above may be true but one advantage may be that the idiots who drive at far above 30mph in towns & cities will - hopefully - be stopped from doing so.

silles

May 4, 2017
would be nice to force some minimum speed as well, nothing more frustrating when u stuck behind miss daisy doing 30 mph on a 60 mph B road.
very dangerous coz u have to overtake
:drive1:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The above may be true but one advantage may be that the idiots who drive at far above 30mph in towns & cities will - hopefully - be stopped from doing so.

I think I could live with this as a compromise. When you have a village sandwiched between 2xnational speed limits or a 20mph school bit. I'd be ok if they added something to the speed limit sign it could recognise that enforced a limit.

would be nice to force some minimum speed as well, nothing more frustrating when u stuck behind miss daisy doing 30 mph on a 60 mph B road.
very dangerous coz u have to overtake
:drive1:

There's a couple of national speed limit roads near me. I sometimes get up really really early on a Sunday morning so I can actually do the speed limit. I've concluded that even if I get up at 4am, on a bright sunny warm day, on a 60mph straight road with a mile+ of visibility. I'd have to get past someone doing 26mph.

And I should also point out, I take into consideration that not every driver / car can maintain 60mph round a bend, up a hill, etc. But the number of drivers I see who even on a straight and can seriously see 1-1.5 miles of clear road, are still not capable of getting anywhere near the speed limit.

Snakey

Jan 31, 2019
It will be the insurance black boxes that will hit home I think. Even if we can go little over the limit they will hammer us with premiums you'll need a mortgage for or simply refuse to insure you. Could this be the death knell for the performance car. Let's hope not there's still hope as parliament has to vote on it.

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
So the government collected around £80m in speeding fines alone in 2018. I can't see this actually being put in place knowing they'd lose this income.

They will tax the new tech after they make it mandatory.
You will always end up paying.

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
They will tax the new tech after they make it mandatory.
You will always end up paying.

Well I would presume the tech would be built into any new models once it has come into force. Surely they can't force anyone with an older model to purchase the tech? But then again we are talking about governments here.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Does the limiter actually stop the car exceeding the speed limit? I've seen something that suggests it will be advisory and stamping on the loud pedal will still work whilst travelling at the limit.

silles

May 4, 2017
Does the limiter actually stop the car exceeding the speed limit? I've seen something that suggests it will be advisory and stamping on the loud pedal will still work whilst travelling at the limit.

that would be very dangerous, imaging overtaking someone and a truck a head shows up, u have no option just to floor it and hope u will fit, but than the car just says no ....

it has to be override able but that probably going to be temporary, u won't be able to cruise at 79 mph on the motorway for example.

afcajax73

Jun 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
that would be very dangerous, imaging overtaking someone and a truck a head shows up, u have no option just to floor it and hope u will fit, but than the car just says no ....

it has to be override able but that probably going to be temporary, u won't be able to cruise at 79 mph on the motorway for example.

we have vehicles limited to 60mph at our work place and, it's exactly that!

you're on a 70mph road behind a car doing 55, you start to overtake, they obviously (knobs) don't want to be overtaken and speed up to 60mph at which point the acceleration dies and you're effectively stuck. It's unbelievably dangerous

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members