Power Delivery - Cupra 290

Crocket

Nov 18, 2018
Hello,

Does anyone else find the power delivery on the 290 bloody awful? I've only had the car 4 months from new and it's starting to annoy me.

In Cupra mode if the gearbox is in standard mode it's laggy and doesn't pickup well in low gears, even in high gears it's as if there is massive turbo lag.

When in "sport" mode on the gearbox with cupra mode. The gearbox is snatching gears far too quick - so if you mash the throttle you get thrown into the seat however when you let off the throttle you get thrown back into the windscreen because it's as if the car is engine braking far too harshly.

I've tried all the settings and I can't see to get a decent level of response... and even a Mini Cooper SD seems quicker and nicer to drive!

Any thoughts?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hello,

Does anyone else find the power delivery on the 290 bloody awful? I've only had the car 4 months from new and it's starting to annoy me.

In Cupra mode if the gearbox is in standard mode it's laggy and doesn't pickup well in low gears, even in high gears it's as if there is massive turbo lag.

When in "sport" mode on the gearbox with cupra mode. The gearbox is snatching gears far too quick - so if you mash the throttle you get thrown into the seat however when you let off the throttle you get thrown back into the windscreen because it's as if the car is engine braking far too harshly.

I've tried all the settings and I can't see to get a decent level of response... and even a Mini Cooper SD seems quicker and nicer to drive!

Any thoughts?

I'm assuming this is the new WLTP 290 with the updated 7 speed gearbox?

If you are in Cupra mode and you put the gearbox back into Drive, you are putting the engine and gearbox back into Comfort mode. I've written this before:

Comfort Mode:
Gearbox in D - Comfort Mode Engine and Gearbox (default)
Gearbox in S - Sport Mode Engine and Gearbox.

Sport Mode:
Gearbox in S - Sport Mode Engine and Gearbox (default)
Gearbox in D - Comfort Mode Engine and Gearbox

Cupra Mode:
Gearbox in S - Cupra Mode Engine and Gearbox (default)
Gearbox in D - Comfort Mode Engine and Gearbox

Individual:
Same as above but if you choose Eco for the engine:
Gearbox in D - Eco Mode Engine and Gearbox (default)
Gearbox in S - Sport Mode Engine and Gearbox.

Can't say I have had the engine braking issue when lifting off that you talk about, maybe that's the more restrictive exhaust combined with a 'VW Parts Bin' 7 speed gearbox that hasn't really been setup properly with the WLTP in mind (for speed of getting a product out there). You may want to consider a DSG tune?

However I'd suggest a search of the forum, someone posted an article from another VW forum about how to learn how the DSG works, so you can use it properly and not end up in situations you are talking about.

Crocket

Nov 18, 2018
Yea it's a late November 2018 build with 7 speed gearbox so I assume exhaust is the restrictive one as it doesn't make any noise.

I'll have another play with the settings I didn't realise that back to drive would reset cupra mode because it still shows the yellow cupra logo on button

I can't map it as its leased.

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
Can’t say I’m having issues with mine. I mainly use manual mode rather than sport setting on the dsg when I want some fun. The only thing I’ve noticed up to my old 6 speed dsg is that in sport mode my old 6 speed held the gears longer when not on full throttle. If I was in 2nd in the old 6 speed but not full throttle it would shift at say 4.5 to 5k. The new 7 speed changes at about 3.5k. Also pressing the esc button in the new 290 makes more difference than in the old 280.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yea it's a late November 2018 build with 7 speed gearbox so I assume exhaust is the restrictive one as it doesn't make any noise.

I'll have another play with the settings I didn't realise that back to drive would reset cupra mode because it still shows the yellow cupra logo on button

I can't map it as its leased.
Technically you are in Cupra mode, Diff (if not 4drive) suspension etc will all be set to Cupra/Sport. Just the eingine.

Same as if you turn the ignition off, it will default back to comfort even if in cupra mode.

Brooster89

Oct 13, 2018
Hello,

Any thoughts?
I don't find the lag a big issue but I agree when the gearbox is in Sport mode it does sometimes feel like the car moves down gears too quickly and engine braking too harshly.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Mine is a 6 spd DSG, I'm now using Individual mode with DCC in comfort and engine in sport, everything else is Cupra. On road trips DCC is in sport and engine is Cupra. In that set up the engine stays in Cupra even in D.
Have they changed that for the new models?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Mine is a 6 spd DSG, I'm now using Individual mode with DCC in comfort and engine in sport, everything else is Cupra. On road trips DCC is in sport and engine is Cupra. In that set up the engine stays in Cupra even in D.
Have they changed that for the new models?
Nothings changed, but on the DSG cars, the engine/gearbox are setting are effectively one and the same. So if you put it in Cupra, soon as you put it back into D, it changes back to comfort, although all the suspension etc would stay in Cupra/Sport mode.

So Individual allows you to have comfort suspension, cupra diff, sport steering weight, then if you choose cupra mode as the engine setting, S and D will alternate between cupra and comfort.

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
I use same settings as Lou. I do agree that in d the gearbox is too slow but it doesn't bother me to much as you just flick it into sport when you need too. Does that throttle response setting in obdeleven improve things?

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Nothings changed, but on the DSG cars, the engine/gearbox are setting are effectively one and the same. So if you put it in Cupra, soon as you put it back into D, it changes back to comfort, although all the suspension etc would stay in Cupra/Sport mode.
So has it always been like that and what mode is the engine in when the DSG is in manual mode?

Really annoying that it doesn't just follow the setting on the screen.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
So has it always been like that and what mode is the engine in when the DSG is in manual mode?

Really annoying that it doesn't just follow the setting on the screen.
Engine and gearbox have to work together so they are working as per the screen.

In manual mode it follows whatever mode you put it in, you just control when the shift happens.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand

So Individual allows you to have comfort suspension, cupra diff, sport steering weight, then if you choose cupra mode as the engine setting, S and D will alternate between cupra and comfort.
OK, why do I still have the louder engine synth noise in D, and it definitely feels like Cupra throttle response too.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
OK, why do I still have the louder engine synth noise in D, and it definitely feels like Cupra throttle response too.
Put the car into comfort mode, knock the gearbox into sport and you’ll hear the fake sound increase, knock it back into comfort and you’ll notice that the fake noise stays as it is.

As for throttle response, can’t say it’s the same for me, but look at the idle on your car when in cupra mode and gearbox in sport. Knock it into drive and you’ll see the Revs drop and the boost gauge drops to 0.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lmbarrett83

silles

May 4, 2017
something does change between D and S in the engine mode as well, because if u go from D -> M you get less farts and no downshift burble
but if you go from S->M you get all the goodies :)

+ idle is different as well ~800 vs ~1200
+ but the fake sound is the same.
- throttle response is the same as far as I can tell. try it D->M or S -> M

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Bullet

Mar 1, 2019
Bedfordshire
Why does the idle stay at 1200rpm in S though? Mine does it too and it doesn't seem right? Car is only 4 days old so will check with thee dealer.

silles

May 4, 2017
Why does the idle stay at 1200rpm in S though? Mine does it too and it doesn't seem right? Car is only 4 days old so will check with thee dealer.

it's normal, it just pulls better from 1200 than 800. more boost/less turbo lag, Sport-ier, also better sound, u cannot hear the engine at 800 but u can at 1200 :)

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
My Passat Alltrack TDI 190hp idle @1200 when DSG is in sport :joystick: Only reason I can think off with the raised idle is to have the engine closer to the powerband.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.