Power Delivery - Cupra 290

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Raised idle is more to have some boost on tap ready I suspect, as the car is on boost. At 1200rpm moving it’s not normally on boost. So must be to help it get away. Although if you really want to get away fast you’d launch it from 4K.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Put the car into comfort mode, knock the gearbox into sport and you’ll hear the fake sound increase, knock it back into comfort and you’ll notice that the fake noise stays as it is.

As for throttle response, can’t say it’s the same for me, but look at the idle on your car when in cupra mode and gearbox in sport. Knock it into drive and you’ll see the Revs drop and the boost gauge drops to 0.00

I've not noticed a sound increase, I'll try and pay particular attention. I know about the idle speed difference, but I'm referring to throttle response at driving speeds. I've just done an open road trip with in individual mode with engine in Cupra/box in D and it definitely had more instant response when nailed.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
It's to do with the 'odd' number (7) The dual clutch gearbox works in pairs of even gear selection. When you 'boot' it in 3rd the DSG will confuse itself as it's seeking 2nd & 3rd.

The DSG software will compensate this but the DSG 6 speed will always shift faster than the 7 due to basic ratio power.

Can you expand on this? After all it's just a gearbox with one extra ratio. Actuators, clutches, DSG control unit, etc are just doing the same job they do in a 6 spd.
What's ratio power?

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
It's to do with the 'odd' number (7) The dual clutch gearbox works in pairs of even gear selection. When you 'boot' it in 3rd the DSG will confuse itself as it's seeking 2nd & 3rd.

The DSG software will compensate this but the DSG 6 speed will always shift faster than the 7 due to basic ratio power.

As above, my old 280 manual put out 320bhp (totally standard) but MY19 Cupra got 260 on the ramp.

The exhaust strangles it

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
260bhp from a new 290? Is that at the wheels because if its not i would be knocking on seats door with the proof.
And 320 from a standard 280 is very impressive. 305bhp is the biggest ive seen standard but i know all dynos are different.

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
Who cares about random dyno numbers? Fact is MY19 290hp is faster than MY16 280 manual. Tested it on the road and the Vbox proves it as well.

The Vbox showed 9.1" for the 60-160kph for the MY19 with just 2000 miles on the clock and not much effort. Almost half a second faster than my friends 280.

Reactions: MifSal and LouG

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Put the car into comfort mode, knock the gearbox into sport and you’ll hear the fake sound increase, knock it back into comfort and you’ll notice that the fake noise stays as it is.

As for throttle response, can’t say it’s the same for me, but look at the idle on your car when in cupra mode and gearbox in sport. Knock it into drive and you’ll see the Revs drop and the boost gauge drops to 0.00
OK, I tested this this morning, there is no difference in sound level or quality between D and S. In Cupra mode and gearbox in D, it still felt much more responsive than using D in S or Comfort. But I can't quantify that, butt dynos are notoriously inaccurate.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
OK, I tested this this morning, there is no difference in sound level or quality between D and S. In Cupra mode and gearbox in D, it still felt much more responsive than using D in S or Comfort. But I can't quantify that, butt dynos are notoriously inaccurate.
Are you starting in Cupra mode?

When in comfort mode, not Cupra, the sound actuator is at the comfort level. Knock the gearbox into sport and the sound actuator gets louder. Knock it back into Drive and the sound actuator level stays at the sport level. This has down it in my old 280 DSG and the new Carbon (300 4Drive DSG).

Throttle response, like the steering, suspension and diff is still in cupra mode. But the engine and gearbox work together so will move to whatever the gearbox is in. In reality the power level of the car doesn’t change between the modes anyway, but the fuelling to improve boost (and noise) certainly appears to.

In cupra mode with the gearbox in drive then knocked into manual, listen for the DSG farts, they won’t be as pronounced as when your in sport or cupra mode with the gearbox in sport but knocked into manual.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand

When in comfort mode, not Cupra, the sound actuator is at the comfort level. Knock the gearbox into sport and the sound actuator gets louder. Knock it back into Drive and the sound actuator level stays at the sport level. This has down it in my old 280 DSG and the new Carbon (300 4Drive DSG).

Throttle response, like the steering, suspension and diff is still in cupra mode. But the engine and gearbox work together so will move to whatever the gearbox is in. In reality the power level of the car doesn’t change between the modes anyway, but the fuelling to improve boost (and noise) certainly appears to.

In cupra mode with the gearbox in drive then knocked into manual, listen for the DSG farts, they won’t be as pronounced as when your in sport or cupra mode with the gearbox in sport but knocked into manual.
OK, I'll try again.

Skyscraper120

Feb 13, 2019

So many options for this car it's ridiculous. Cupra in D, Cupra in S, Cupra in Manual... Then there's the comfort and sport.

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
So many options for this car it's ridiculous. Cupra in D, Cupra in S, Cupra in Manual... Then there's the comfort and sport.
its not really.
3 drive modes and 3 gearbox modes. Each drive mode can have whatever gearbox mode you want.
The good thing with the gearbox is with just a flick you have drive, sport or manual straight away.
I understand it seems confusing as people think I’ve chosen cupra it’s now in its sportiest mode which to a degree it is as the lsd etc is set up but you have to do the same then for the gearbox. I’ve had a cupra for the last 5 year so I’m used to it now with dsg.

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
Would be really interest to know if there are details anywhere on what actually changes in each mode.

I know the fueling must change when it Cupra etc but would love to see details on what changes and what effect it has on the suspension, LSD, throttle response, gear change etc. Does anyone have anything like that? or have access to any of the technical info for this?

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
Would be really interest to know if there are details anywhere on what actually changes in each mode.

I know the fueling must change when it Cupra etc but would love to see details on what changes and what effect it has on the suspension, LSD, throttle response, gear change etc. Does anyone have anything like that? or have access to any of the technical info for this?
If you click on the info button when in the mode setting it sort of tells you.
Sport mode only changes dcc and engine to sport. Everything else like steering and lsd standard. Cupra changes engine,lsd, steering dcc etc.
I’ve no idea what cupra air con does tough ??

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Sport mode only changes dcc and engine to sport. Everything else like steering and lsd standard. Cupra changes engine,lsd, steering dcc etc.
My understanding of Cupra air con, is that it reduces the load on the engine from the air con system by not running the compressor during heavy acceleration etc.

Reactions: Brooster89

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015

Yeah i've been through the settings and played around with whats there and got a decent understanding of whats being changed etc just would like to know exactly what and by how much its changed by playing around with each setting.

I know its not the normal type of thing that a manufacturer releases but would satisfy my curiosity!

Weatherdog

Nov 2, 2018
its not really.
3 drive modes and 3 gearbox modes. Each drive mode can have whatever gearbox mode you want.
The good thing with the gearbox is with just a flick you have drive, sport or manual straight away.
I understand it seems confusing as people think I’ve chosen cupra it’s now in its sportiest mode which to a degree it is as the lsd etc is set up but you have to do the same then for the gearbox. I’ve had a cupra for the last 5 year so I’m used to it now with dsg.
Don't forget eco mode!

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
What about using the tiptronic option in Cupra or sport, nothing wrong with the way the car can pull away, it’s a beast.
For my daily drive to work I always drive in comfort except for a couple of roundabouts with traffic lights I pop the gear stick into s mode to get away sharp as it’s a 2 into single lane shortly after take off.
Plenty options to drive this car, good daily drive if you are just pottering about and then I would imagine it would be a beast on the track
A good few years ago I owned an BMW E46 M3 that had the smg gear box, I loved that car but this Cupra puts the smile back on my face and for a hell of a lot less money.

Reactions: Seastormer and LouG
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members