Is the leon a reliable car ? looking to buy one but the salesperson keeps telling me otherwise

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Back when I knew little about cars... salesman sold me my Diesel FR to do a 2 mile trip to work every day. Think the keyword is "salesman".

Reactions: Mohamed emarah

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Your salesperson is talking out of their arse. Ask them the mqb platform is, then get them to lift the bonnet of both a golf and a leon and point out all the bits which have the vw audi skoda seat logos stamped on them ;)

Deleted member 103408

What Engine / gearbox are you looking at on the Leon and What Engine / gearbox are you being asked to buy on the golf

By gearbox I mean is it Manual or DSG (6 OR 7 Speed)

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
What Engine / gearbox are you looking at on the Leon and What Engine / gearbox are you being asked to buy on the golf

By gearbox I mean is it Manual or DSG (6 OR 7 Speed)
the golf has a 1.2 tsi engine with 110 hp and 175 nm torque with a 7 speed dsg gearbox while the leon has a 1.4 tsi engine with 150 hp and 250 torque with a 6 speed dsg gearbox

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
As others have said salesman is obviously after the commission ! I'd go with the Leon 1.4 anytime even though I have the same engine as the golf in my Leon.its a no brainer isn't it 1.4 vs 1.2 .

Deleted member 103408

Also the 7 speed dsg on the Golf has had a lot of issues (now according to VW Resolved) but the 6 speed box is much stronger and can take much more power if you ever decide to modify it.

The MQB Cars are the same underneath and we have not had massive feedback that Engines are rubbish, so I would agree with the rest test drive them both and see what you like but i personally would prefer the 1.4 over the 1.2

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough
Are these cars the only ones available to you? Just wondering why are you restricting yourself to just these 2 cars.

The Leon FR 1.4 TSi ACT is a great car, but the Golf equivalent has a better chassis yet of course more expensive for it.

Unless insurance is an issue, I’d go for the the larger 150ps engine. I’d also check out the brochures to see what trim level and options are available with each engine.

So much depends on what your’re looking for. On the flip side then, a box on 4 wheels that works for the least cash will always be the Leon with the least power, and with zero sacrifice in reliability over the equivalent golf. I believe in practice though it’s worth weighing up how much more performance you can get without sacrificing economy too much. Nominally there’s an optimum point before performance notches, but the penalty in running costs increases significantly.

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
I hope I don't regret posting this, but my 2016 Cupra has only been back to the dealers twice, both times for the annual service.

Hope it starts this afternoon!

Over many years of car purchasing I've found that many salespersons don't know much about the product they're selling.

Half of them don't l, I often have to tell them what it comes with

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
the golf has a 1.2 tsi engine with 110 hp and 175 nm torque with a 7 speed dsg gearbox while the leon has a 1.4 tsi engine with 150 hp and 250 torque with a 6 speed dsg gearbox

My previous car was a Leon 1.4 tsi FR dsg, MY16 and it had a 7 speed dsg box.

Great car, I chose it over a Golf GT with same engine and gearbox due to the extras on the Leon that the Gokf never had, Sat Nav, met paint, LED lights would have made the already expensive Golf way more than the Leon.

Green Mamba

Feb 22, 2008
Warwickshire
As stated, he doesn't know what he's talking about, shared VAG component platform. The whole reason I went for a Mark 1 Leon over a MK4 Golf in the first place was the shared engine and that it was a lot more interesting.

My current MK3, 2.0 TDI 182 FR, mine is a 63 plate, over 56K miles and the only thing I've had to fix outside of normal servicing schedule is the fuel filler cap release which was sticking.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
In my Leon and Ibiza, if you open the engine bay, most of the leads and stuff were with VW and Audi logo, haven't seen any Skoda logos yet.. the only thing that had Seat logo were the Bi-Xenon headlights on the Ibiza, which are specific to Seat I guess. If my memory serves me right, the Leon LED headlights had Valeo brand on it. On my Ibiza, I looked at the rear disc calipers one day and noticed a 0000 part number...looked closer...oh no, it's the Audi symbol. Once had a Audi A1 parked next to me, and so I had a look, the rear brakes are identical!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I still laugh when sales guys try to convince you they sell a unique car.

The Seat Leon, the Audi A3, The VW Golf and the Skoda Octavia are all MQB platform cars from VAG

Its even funnier when they say VAG stands for Volkswagen Audi Group to try and support their claims.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise