Where am I heading with "Last Chance Really"

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
So in spite of my often whinges about lack of funds I can do some things and others just need careful budgeting.

The ultimate plan is to have a comfortable,safe but fast road car that can do the odd trackday.
To that end the priority is where realistic and reasonable to enhance handling and stopping , then mods to support a stage 1 map , finally to make the LCR look respectable.

So stuff done thus far
Cam belt and all metal water pump with ancillary belt replaced Sept last year
All 4 shocks and springs were replaced in 2012 , they will be replaced if deemed needed
Front , rear and lower front strut braces fitted
Rear ARB ordered
Brakes are all C or J hook with EBC Greenstuff pads
All wheel bearings replaced
Looking at full bushing upgrade - probably not until after first trackday
Fuel pump upgraded
Battery relocation to the boot - maybe
Oversized tip, cone filter and cold air feed, most other hoses no w silicon
N249 delete
Catch Can fitted
FMIC - waiting to be fitted
Re - Map - someway down the line

Oh and replace/repair parts as needed - like secondary water pump.

I'll probably still whinge and moan like a ******* but hey that's my prerogative and the joys of being old.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
So in spite of my often whinges about lack of funds I can do some things and others just need careful budgeting.

The ultimate plan is to have a comfortable,safe but fast road car that can do the odd trackday.
To that end the priority is where realistic and reasonable to enhance handling and stopping , then mods to support a stage 1 map , finally to make the LCR look respectable.

So stuff done thus far
Cam belt and all metal water pump with ancillary belt replaced Sept last year
All 4 shocks and springs were replaced in 2012 , they will be replaced if deemed needed
Front , rear and lower front strut braces fitted
Rear ARB ordered
Brakes are all C or J hook with EBC Greenstuff pads
All wheel bearings replaced
Looking at full bushing upgrade - probably not until after first trackday
Fuel pump upgraded
Battery relocation to the boot - maybe
Oversized tip, cone filter and cold air feed, most other hoses no w silicon
N249 delete
Catch Can fitted
FMIC - waiting to be fitted
Re - Map - someway down the line

Oh and replace/repair parts as needed - like secondary water pump.

I'll probably still whinge and moan like a ******* but hey that's my prerogative and the joys of being old.
There is no rush is there?
I'd defo add an oil cooler to your list before track day. Not to costly and worthwhile.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cupra81

Deleted member 103408

If you are doing track days you should also consider a baffled sump, I have to say I was looking at Oil coolers for my car but after fitting the baffled sump (which had a larger capacity) and better oil my temps came down so not considering oil coolers any more.

Reactions: Andrewwright

Deleted member 103408

Full oil drain, take off old sump off and replace with new one and fill her up with quality oil.

I got the garage to do it whilst they were doing other work for me but I know that @Sparkie has a baffled sump so hopefully he can speak from experience.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Defo need a sump.
Forge do one and tsr do anninsert.
The insert fits ok but changed how the bolts fit so can be a pain.
You can buy the forge at 200 odd.
There is a guy. Oliver Beaumont on fb
He does kits to weld in yourself for 70 quid or sells them already fitted to old sumps for about 130. - 150.
Can swap with him too for a discount.
I bought a ready done from him.
Even perfect.
Saves a blown engine. Hard braking and long hard cornering will seee all the oil push up the sides or front of block and starve pick up.
It’s a must purchase.
Then just bolts to torque and gasket.
Think it’s a fluid gasket in ours. Can’t remember.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Also as Andrew states. Oil cooler is defo worth looking at.
i get pretty high temps on track and I limit each outing to about 16 hard miles and a cool down lap.
Wierdly your oversize TIP won’t do anything until mapping day. Then it will make a huge difference.
Cold air feed will also improve things.
Handling you are pretty close to doing it all.
I would say that If you want the best out of it on track, you will want to address the shocks and springs if originals.
I started on originals and h n r springs. I was being thrown all over the car in the corners and car just skitting and spinning the wheels from turn in tthrough to exit.
After fitting BC Racing coilovers and whiteline front control arm bushing with added castor ( only 40 quid. Best mod ever!) it totally transformed the cars turn in and exit.
I can now power out of the corners much more quickly and controlled.
Lastly tyres are going to make a big difference on track.
AD08R will be great in Track and road. Have had these on for whole year. Winter too.
Great tyre.
Plenty of others out there but these perform in the wet too unless you drive like a total retard.
That’s about it.
Ah,
If you want to do hill climbs too you’ll need a fire extinguisher in the cab too.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
All good info - Thanks :). Looks like I have some careful planing and budgeting to do.
As I said...no rush is there. Buy it bit by bit and do a track day next year. All the kit you will have on it by then, the car should be safe to really beat on. Parkway racing has a lot of cool time, don't rush the day and regret it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Im 55 .....might need to rush just a little bit , my youngest (18) reckons I'm a fossil !!, next stage oil .

Yup sage advice - buy a bit here and there then fit when its all together.

Ive done 40-50 trackdays between the ages of 40-50 but nothing to speak of in the last 5 years - would be like starting again :)

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Im 55 .....might need to rush just a little bit , my youngest (18) reckons I'm a fossil !!, next stage oil .

Yup sage advice - buy a bit here and there then fit when its all together.

Ive done 40-50 trackdays between the ages of 40-50 but nothing to speak of in the last 5 years - would be like starting again :)

Mate I’m only 5 years your junior.
You don’t need it all right now to track it.
A sump and FMIC to stop heat soak and you’re good to go.
The rest can be done over time.
I’d just do those and get out there.

Reactions: kanyewest

Deleted member 103408

And i am 5 years your senior and i agree with Sparkie, you can always make the car better (don't think that ever stops) but you can enjoy what you have now and see how it gets better over time when you have other stuff fitted.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Agree - I reckon I'll still be "tinkering" until I drop .....wife says I have the body of an 80 year old (I'll deny it but shes not wrong i'm pretty beat up), the mentality of an 18 year old and the experience's of a 50 year old. :)

I had a pretty bad racing accident that put me in hospital for the best part of a year - had to learn to walk again amongst other things - The older I get the more I'm in a rush to do the things I havn't yet done just in case :)

Deleted member 103408

In that case you need a roll cage and Limited Slip Diff added to your list :)

Enjoy, I am very new to it and its a great time, even got my daughter out now (but I have to pay :) )

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Sounds like a horrific crash.
Was that on a bike?

we sound in similar states.
My knees are shot and I have 2 displaced discs. Been like it for years now but you just can’t stop.
If you stop it’s all over.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Yeah , back in the early 80's , straw bales wern't the most effective "crash barriers" especially when there are concrete walls behind them. Was pretty well flat out when the throttles jammed wide open trying to brake for a hairpin , they reckon i was doing somewhere around 140 mph when I went through the straw , broke every bone in the right side of my body then got burnt.
I have some 16 screws and various pins holding me together , the worse part is that I have almost no long term memory , partial mid term and reasonable short term.

Whats worse is that it was a none championship event but a race I'd wanted to do for ages ..........I practically begged Kawasaki to let me do it - and fcuked it right up .

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Christ.
That’s mega.
Uber high speed to go to a dead stop.
Still held together with so many pins too. Ouch.
My back feels better already after reading that.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Bloody hell mate! Glad you're here to tell the tale. Good on you for wanting to get back on the track too.

Also, you've all made me feel like a much younger 45 year old - Still young/daft in the head :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.