Tracking problem! Pulling left

Cupra-Paddy

Sep 16, 2016
Wakefield
Hi all
I have a 1.8t on a 54 reg and had some work done on the car:
2 bottom arms
2 track rods with ends
Took the car for tracking after work was done and the passenger side is out by 3 degrees or something lol
Literally tracked up went round the block and took it straight back
The car seems to be pulling to the left I.e when going straight the wheel seems turned to the left a bit
Had the car checked over a few times and all seems fine
Anyone have any ideas on this.
The car is lowered on springs, don't know if this affects anything? All tyres right pressure also
Thanks ( pulling my hair out with it )

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Silly question but did u put it in the centre of the road as the camber of the road when in lane can pull you to the left?

Cupra-Paddy

Sep 16, 2016
Wakefield
Can't remember but wondering why straight after tracking that it gets knocked out? As in tracked up then 5 mins later it's out again

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
When tightening the track rod ends it can actually knock the tracking back out if not carefull...

Cupra-Paddy

Sep 16, 2016
Wakefield
Basically I paid for tracking at a tyre place and it kept going out, found out new arm bush was knackered so replaced the arm and got new track rods with ends then took it back for 're tracking ( free )
Basically the same place has tracked it up at least 6 times ( after work on the car ) now all the parts have been replaced it's still knocking it out or something is, it's doing my head in now lol
I paid once for tracking and they don't charge me again so that's fine by me

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
So what could affect tracking ?
Ball joints
Tie rods
Steering Rack
Wishbone mountings/bushes
Top Mounts

All need to be thoroughly checked over for any play and or movement, it may not be a static load issue but a dynamic , so while on the wheel alignment machine its under static load and nothing is moving but as soon as you get out on the road things start moving around and that's where your'e alignment is going out.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
With the front wheels unsupported (jack under the subframe or similar) grab the wheel top and bottom and see if you can move it up/down - side to side while someone watches for any movement at the top mount or anywhere else for that matter. The steering rack bushes are a little harder to check as you will need to pull the under tray off.

Cupra-Paddy

Sep 16, 2016
Wakefield
I was thinking of going to another garage but don't fancy paying again as the garage are not charging me, so far the car has had
X2 bottom arms
X2 track rods with arms
Cv joint
The parts were worn and needed replacing, is there anything else that it could be part wise? I see the garage track it up and can see when I go back that it is out

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
So I found out I need new top mounts, going to get then both done then back for tracking again hopefully this sorts it out
May aswell do the bearings while there off. Good luck mate, good to see the garage is trying to sort it for free. Shame they can't help you with a diagnosis

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Sometimes if they use heat to loosen nuts etc and track the wheels, the cooling down is enough to pull it out of limits - this happened to mine a couple of time in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.