Mk3 buying advice

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new car and have come to a conclusion that I want to get a Leon Mk3 Petrol. I've viewed a 1.2 TSI 2014 SE with 45k from a dealer an hour away. Few key things I noticed were;
- humming noise for 2-3 seconds when turning ignition on(is this normal)
- side skirts looked like there were repainted as it was all bubbly
- rattling above drivers head during drive(originally thought a window was open but nope)

I just wanted to know if any of these were common faults.

There's also a 1.4 TSI 2014 SE Tech pack with 75k from a private seller. I'm currently ahhing and uhming whether the bigger engine and Tech pack is worth the extra 30k on the clock?

I planned on remapping the 1.2TSI and getting the windows tinted, with the 1.4 TSI Tech Pack these are pretty much done.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Hi
Im not a leon expert however we got two on the drive.

Humming noise normal all do that.

1.4 I believe much better choice but another people will give you advice.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@JCM27; did it actually have side skirts fitted? The normal sills are coated with an anti stone chip coating prior to the body shell being painted in the factory when the car’s built. This protective coating has a mottled/dimpled appearance and if this is what you’re referring to a ‘bubbly’, then it’s normal.

Reactions: LouG

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
@Norbert I thought as much. The dealer said it was normal but I didn't have anything to compare to so just took his word for it.

@SRGTD yeah, it was just the sills(didn't know the term hence sideskirts). That's great to hear it's normal then. I originally thought it was badly rusted and they tried to cover it up and botched it.

IbizaNI

Mar 23, 2015
Newtownards, Northern Ireland
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new car and have come to a conclusion that I want to get a Leon Mk3 Petrol. I've viewed a 1.2 TSI 2014 SE with 45k from a dealer an hour away. Few key things I noticed were;
- rattling above drivers head during drive(originally thought a window was open but nope)

There's also a 1.4 TSI 2014 SE Tech pack with 75k from a private seller. I'm currently ahhing and uhming whether the bigger engine and Tech pack is worth the extra 30k on the clock?

I planned on remapping the 1.2TSI and getting the windows tinted, with the 1.4 TSI Tech Pack these are pretty much done.

Is the 1.4 in Carrick and the and the 1.2 in Newry?

If so I'd say go for your one in Carrick, the 1.4, sure mileage is more but it has the tech pack and they both have a full service history.

Check that the timing belt and water pump has been done, but from what I hear on the forums etc it should be reliable enough if well looked after.

The 1.2 on the wheel picture on ucni, it has a tyre valve cap missing, however I see the previous owner put Brembo brake pads on.

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
Hi all,

In terms of the 1.2 vs 1.4 - I just sold my Audi A3 with the same 1.4 TFSI in it with 108k on the clock, it never missed a beat and drove like a brand new car. My partner has the 1.2 A1 and it’s nothing in comparison...

The 1.4 is ballsy for its size and is super economical. You’ll get plenty of smiles per mile and the tech pack too. Personally the 1.2 is just too flat to enjoy driving...

But again, just my opinion!

Also, fellow NI forum member here!

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
Is the 1.4 in Carrick and the and the 1.2 in Newry?

If so I'd say go for your one in Carrick, the 1.4, sure mileage is more but it has the tech pack and they both have a full service history.

Check that the timing belt and water pump has been done, but from what I hear on the forums etc it should be reliable enough if well looked after.

The 1.2 on the wheel picture on ucni, it has a tyre valve cap missing, however I see the previous owner put Brembo brake pads on.

Yeah that's the one! I was ready to put a deposit down on the Newry one but sale fell through.

In terms of the 1.2 vs 1.4 - I just sold my Audi A3 with the same 1.4 TFSI in it with 108k on the clock, it never missed a beat and drove like a brand new car. My partner has the 1.2 A1 and it’s nothing in comparison...

The 1.4 is ballsy for its size and is super economical. You’ll get plenty of smiles per mile and the tech pack too. Personally the 1.2 is just too flat to enjoy driving...

But again, just my opinion!

Also, fellow NI forum member here!

It's so hard to find Petrol MK3s around this area! Have been tempted to fly to mainland

Diesel all the way for me. You'll love the torque and if you wanted more, a remap gets more than on a petrol.

Needs to be petrol for my mileage I'm afraid.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Remapping such a small engine won’t bring massive gains and will wear it out more quickly. Go with the 1.4 and enjoy the extra toys.

IbizaNI

Mar 23, 2015

IbizaNI

Mar 23, 2015
How does this work mate? I had a dealer try to source this exact car but was looking for £7k!!!

Think you can just register on the website and you can stick in a live bid or else register and pop down to when the auction is happening. Might be worth just registering then fire them an email saying how would I go about bidding for and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to explain as they welcome members of the public to buy rather than just strictly dealers. Never bought from an auction before but had a dealer buy something from BCA over in England for me though so it was all dealt with.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I wouldn't advise buying at auction unless it's a fleet/lease disposal at three years old, which are usually pretty safe bets for the private buyer.

Anything older, especially from a dealer is likely to be something they won't risk selling on the forecourt and giving a warranty on - usually a px lemon they've already made a fortune on.

Most auctioneers have guides for first timers, also search online (honest John I think) for how to get the best out of it.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I wouldn't buy a car without the tech-pack. For most the Leon's life it has either been standard or a box that got ticked so cars with it are quite rare. With tech cars so easy to find the ones lacking it are properly unattractive in the used marketplace.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.