The 2019 Leon Copra 290 thread

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
My brand new Copra with res delete from the car dealer

How can I see the miles? I havent found the function yet, it only shows the trip.
When you turn it off it will show you the milage.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

futurelogic

Sep 15, 2011
My brand new Copra with res delete from the car dealer

How can I see the miles? I havent found the function yet, it only shows the trip.
I assume you have cruise control- if you turn it off the mileage will show to the right of the trip

Cupra_2019

Jan 25, 2019
I had an interesting trip to a "closed" road yesterday in my 2019 Cupra 290 along with a friend and his 2015 BMW M235i stage one kicking out 395hp. His is manual so we did runs in third gear with mine in sport.

50-100 odd, 60-100odd and 70-100odd.

In each I was neck and neck with him until about 90 when he started to edge a foot or two, nothing major. Certainly not enough to safely overtake anyway. My car even dropped to 2nd gear before taking off in the 50mph drag and I still kept up.

We couldn't workout how and why as the same M235i beat a stage one Mk7 Golf R in the exact same races (on the same "closed" road). I'll dig out the video's.

My only guess is the heat favouring the larger turbo?! Over the smaller twin turbos of the BMW. Not sure though as I have no mechanical experience just a guess. My friend did say he could hear the turbo sucking in loads of air from my car.

The next test will be against a 2018 Audi S4 which, I have a feeling I will be seeing in the rear view mirror due to it being such a huge lump of a car. And the final test will be against my brother's 2018 S3, which has already been proven by carwow to be a lot faster than the MK7.5 R.

I'll try get some video evidence but do begrudge the additional weight!

You can have some serious fun in these cars on the Mexican motorways ;)

Reactions: TheLuckys

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I had an interesting trip to a "closed" road yesterday in my 2019 Cupra 290 along with a friend and his 2015 BMW M235i stage one kicking out 395hp. His is manual so we did runs in third gear with mine in sport.

In each I was neck and neck with him until about 90 when he started to edge a foot or two, nothing major. Certainly not enough to safely overtake anyway. My car even dropped to 2nd gear before taking off in the 50mph drag and I still kept up.

We couldn't workout how and why as the same M235i beat a stage one Mk7 Golf R in the exact same races (on the same "closed" road). I'll dig out the video's.

My only guess is the heat favouring the larger turbo?! Over the smaller twin turbos of the BMW. Not sure though as I have no mechanical experience just a guess. My friend did say he could hear the turbo sucking in loads of air from my car.

The next test will be against a 2018 Audi S4 which, I have a feeling I will be seeing in the rear view mirror due to it being such a huge lump of a car. And the final test will be against my brother's 2018 S3, which has already been proven by carwow to be a lot faster than the MK7.5 R.

The Golf R is a lot heavier. Unless you're starting from a standstill you'll beat a Golf R any day in the Cupra. It's very cool you were able to keep up with the 235i though, those things are brutal!

Reactions: Cupra_2019

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016

I’m not surprised, I was sitting behind a Golf R on the motorway last week both sitting behind an artic on the outside lane, when the artic pulled over we both floored it and I nearly ran into the back of him, he pulled into the middle and I past. Fair enough I had the advantage of being tucked in behind him. I’ll take any victory.

Reactions: Cupra_2019

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014

First of all the M235 has one turbo, not two.
Secondly, is it an X-drive or rwd? The m235 is quite heavy from the begning, most likely 100-250kg heavier than Cupra.
Thirdly it is a manual.

A properly tuned M235 auto should be doing 100-200 in about 8-9s. A Leon Cupra should be doing it in about 13s.
So either your friend is shifting like a old lady or it doesnt have close to 395hp.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
You're forgetting about possibility 3: the Cupra has more than 290 hp ;-).

Yes ofc, but if he mentions that the M235 is tuned i guess he would mention it if the Cupra was aswell ;) Otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose if the Cupra was actually running stg 3 and 500bhp+ :p

RCampbell1

Jan 8, 2017
UK
Yes ofc, but if he mentions that the M235 is tuned i guess he would mention it if the Cupra was aswell ;) Otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose if the Cupra was actually running stg 3 and 500bhp+ :p
What if it had more than 290 as standard? That's why I'm interested to know if anyone has had one on a dyno

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
What if it had more than 290 as standard? That's why I'm interested to know if anyone has had one on a dyno
Exactly my point. Pretty much every Cupra dyno run I've seen has been above factory spec by a good margin.

I was also kind of joking though, the 235 should've smoked the Cupra. Maybe the difference is down to manual vs dsg?
I know it can make quite a difference:

Reactions: RCampbell1
Mar 6, 2019
I know it was mentioned previously but are many more people having the issue of the cupra or sport 'forgetting' that it's in that particular mode. I put the car in either of these modes and the exhaust will pop and crackle like made between 3 and 4k revs. But a few minutes later theres nothing. It will not pop or crackle again until I've put it back in in comfort and then back in sport or cupra. This is having the gearbox in constant manual mode, without switching back into auto S or D.
This is driving me mad, I drive a van in the week so when i get in the cupra I want it popping and cracking at all times.
It's annoying me so much I'm tempted to take it back to Seat and see what the issue is, surely it must be a software problem?

r3d

Nov 21, 2018
Im having the same problem... brand new 290. Its not just the sound, gearbox also behaves differently, i think it adapts to the driving style as I want to have it in cupra and cruise around at 10-20% throttle.
Also it doesnt want to put dsg in eco mode sometimes until i change to some other mode and then individual (with eco settings) again.
One thing that annoys me the most is that it takes over five seconds for the menu to open and mode to change. Interface is sooo slooow!
Please seat, let me hold it for a second to enter cupra mode directly!!!

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Im having the same problem... brand new 290. Its not just the sound, gearbox also behaves differently, i think it adapts to the driving style as I want to have it in cupra and cruise around at 10-20% throttle.
Also it doesnt want to put dsg in eco mode sometimes until i change to some other mode and then individual (with eco settings) again.
One thing that annoys me the most is that it takes over five seconds for the menu to open and mode to change. Interface is sooo slooow!
Please seat, let me hold it for a second to enter cupra mode directly!!!
I still think it's an issue with the car, as mine never switches modes automagically.

r3d

Nov 21, 2018
It doesnt switch modes, it just feels different.
@Stefan thanks man, I would read the manual but the did not deliver it yet hahaha

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
So I have the following fromfrom I can gather in testing the car.

Auto coming home/leaving lights
Forward collision
Traffic sign recognize (show the sign using sat nav)
Tiredness recognize

don't worry, the high beam assist is completely useless. It always blinds motorists and takes WAY too long to turn back on again after one has passed. Speaking of which - does anyone know how to turn it OFF?! I can't find the setting to turn it off.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.