ST 4drive 300 exhaust

TvpSeat

Feb 1, 2019
I've got the above on order. It's a factory order should be here late may. I'm assuming it will have the twin gpf. Everything I'm reading suggests it'll sound a bit crap. I'm a bit gutted as it's a performance car and I want it to sound like one. There seem to be millions of threads around about the other cupras and the res delete seems to be the way to go but this clearly isn't an option on the st 4drive. I'm thinking of either having the rear back boxes taken off and just replaced with straight pipes or maybe have them gutted. Anyone with the above car done anything and got a sporty engine note? I don't want it too loud just for it not to sound like a Prius. Cheers.....

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
I will be following this since I also have a gpf cupra 300.
I was also thinking of perhaps removing back boxes to give more sound, but I don't really dare doing it in case it starts droning to much..

Reactions: TvpSeat

-antero-

Sep 22, 2017
Estonia
Following.
I have one coming at the end of this month and dealer confirmed that all st 4drive models are coming with twin gpf...

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Won’t having the GPF removed be a certain MOT fail in the UK ??

I’m interested in this thread also. Seems a shame that the latest versions of these cars with the GPF are slower and sound worse than the older ones without

TvpSeat

Feb 1, 2019
Won’t having the GPF removed be a certain MOT fail in the UK ??

I’m interested in this thread also. Seems a shame that the latest versions of these cars with the GPF are slower and sound worse than the older ones without

I'm not thinking about removing the gpfs which look to be towards the front of the car. I'm thinking about removing the two rear boxes and having straight through pipes fitted. If that is too loud or drony I could always have a small resonator added after the gpfs?

TvpSeat

Feb 1, 2019
I've read that someone has had this done but cant find it now to ask them about it....

Apr 22, 2019
I've got the above on order. It's a factory order should be here late may. I'm assuming it will have the twin gpf. Everything I'm reading suggests it'll sound a bit crap. I'm a bit gutted as it's a performance car and I want it to sound like one. There seem to be millions of threads around about the other cupras and the res delete seems to be the way to go but this clearly isn't an option on the st 4drive. I'm thinking of either having the rear back boxes taken off and just replaced with straight pipes or maybe have them gutted. Anyone with the above car done anything and got a sporty engine note? I don't want it too loud just for it not to sound like a Prius. Cheers.....

I'm due to pick my 2018 300ST next week, would getting a centre silencer delete drone too much?

Also GPF? What is it and would the 2018 model have ?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I'm due to pick my 2018 300ST next week, would getting a centre silencer delete drone too much?

Also GPF? What is it and would the 2018 model have ?

The GPF is the gas particulate filter that filters out harmful soot particulates in the exhaust emissions in a petrol engines car. It’s the equivalent of a DPF on a diesel.

I believe the reason for fitting one to the Cupra (and other cars for that matter) is so that it could gain type approval certification under the new, more stringent, WLTP emissions testing. 2019 Model Year cars will have a DPF fitted to be WLTP compliant and production of 2019 vehicles starts in 2018, so its possible a 2018 built car may have a DPF fitted. 2019 MY Cupras also lost MPI dual injection - replaced by direct injection.

As a matter of interest, some mk7.5 VW Golf GTI owners with pre-2019 (non-WLTP) model year cars over on golfgtiforum.co.uk noticed the exhaust tips on their cars didn’t get dirty with soot deposits like previous mk7 GTI’s they’d owned. These ‘clean’ GTI’s had the GPF canister in the exhaust system and fuel delivery was via direct injection rather than MPI dual injection, so It seems that VW started fitting GPF’s prior to 2019 model year cars. Maybe Seat did too?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Is there any way legal way to regain some of the performance lost with the (newer) GPF fitted cars ?? (And I don’t mean tuning !!)

They have 0-62 time of 5.2 vs 4.9 pre GPF ?

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
A big tuner in Sweden have recorded quicker 100-200kph times with stock gpf cars. 13.5sec vs 14.0 with cars before gpf.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Oh ok that is very interesting and would make the total 0-200kph almost the same then !!

Still there must be some performance loss with GPF cars as they have more torque 295.04 lbs/ft vs 280.29 lbs/ft on the pre GPF

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Does the R ST have a GPF ?

I thought it didn’t, and Seat can get away with it because it’s only a limited number of cars.

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
So this is what I said in the 'The 2019 Leon Copra thread':
-
So I have a GPF-equipped, 2019 Cupra 300 ST 4Drive. It's hit 3500kms now, and the exhaust is still so so quiet - like base-model Leon in comfort mode. Sport does nothing either. In Cupra the sound actuator isn't the best. But I guess it's the only 'sound' I get so far. IF the engine is warm:
  • in Cupra Mode and Manual Mode, on almost full acceleration I can hear the DSG-fart on the 1st and 2nd gear upshift at around 5000-6000rpm provided that my back seats are folded down
  • in Cupra Mode, engine is HOT, on the overrun I can get some crackles
-
So now I've hit 6000kms and nothing has changed. But what I have realised is that the engine sound is quite loud in Sport or Cupra, and I guess you can't really hear that unless your window is down and you're in a 'tunnelled' area. So my thinking is that the sound does not pass through the exhaust so I am also curious to see what a Res-delete does. Personally, I still think that the Cupra Sound Actuator is bad - but I've gotten to appreciate it in Sport mode (still too quiet though *heartbreaks).

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah the sound actuator is waaaaay to loud. When I took a dealer car for a testdrive I just had it in comfort bc of the actuator

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members