Remap booked!!

King_leon

Apr 7, 2019
So I’ve decided to bite the bullet after just a month of owning my FR sport and get it remapped (ECU mapping). The company (spanner monkey in Bolton) are offering +50bhp and +70 nm torque which sounds promising.
It’s a big move as this will be my first mod but I’m excited and hoping it’ll all go well!
Any advice before I go tomorrow will be greatly appreciated!

Deleted member 103408

If you have not already done so, tell your insurance company.

King_leon

Apr 7, 2019
If you have not already done so, tell your insurance company.

Thanks.. I’ve told them and it’ll cost an extra £64 on my annual premium which isn’t bad. I am happy about that as it was a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
With the FR Sport being a new model/engine (i think!), I'd be concerned with voiding the near 3 years warranty. Any future engine issues, and they show you the door.

King_leon

Apr 7, 2019
With the FR Sport being a new model/engine (i think!), I'd be concerned with voiding the near 3 years warranty. Any future engine issues, and they show you the door.

That was my original worry which I brought up with the garage, but they said in case of any warranty work they will simply return the ECU software back to stock and it won’t be an issue. Am I being naive by believing them?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Are you remapping a 1.5 or a 2.0 TSI? Also I would have thought it would best be remapped at least after the engine has broken in (eg...few thousand miles). Although I haven't remaped any myself, the consensus of the others is that although the tuner can but the original software before any warranty work, it does show 'something' was done to the software..if the dealer is willing to look into it.

King_leon

Apr 7, 2019
Are you remapping a 1.5 or a 2.0 TSI? Also I would have thought it would best be remapped at least after the engine has broken in (eg...few thousand miles). Although I haven't remaped any myself, the consensus of the others is that although the tuner can but the original software before any warranty work, it does show 'something' was done to the software..if the dealer is willing to look into it.

Mine is the 1.5.
So far I’ve done about 1200 miles but I’ve heard different suggestions, some said over 1k and others a few thousand. I’m currently waiting to hear from the dealer as only they will say for definite if it’s detectable. My dealer are pretty clued up and open about mods so hopefully they won’t be bias. Fingers crossed as I think he will perform well with 180bhp and 270nm .

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
That was my original worry which I brought up with the garage, but they said in case of any warranty work they will simply return the ECU software back to stock and it won’t be an issue. Am I being naive by believing them?

An ECU file will have a unique number so when a SEAT dealer plugs in their diagnostic equipment it will compare the file stored on your car to the one on the SEAT server if the values don't match it has be tampered with. I think also the ECU records if it has been flashed from original anyway but obviously the things that are checked aren't public information.

It will record a TD1 code which is then marked on your car, there is no way the flashing place could guarantee you would be OK. Ask them if they purchase subscription to ODIS, if not it won't be a file coming from the VAG database.

Last edited:

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
The ECU has a flash count on it, so if the flash count has changed from the value that SEAT have on their systems, they'll know immediately that the ECU has been tampered with. The garage flashing it back to stock for you will just increase the flash count.
If you ever needed to make a warranty claim, just make sure you have damning proof that it cannot be caused by the ECU. For example, a door falling off at 50mph can't really be linked to the ECU...but I'm sure SEAT would try to contest it somehow

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch

If the ecu is mapped the garage will be able to tell even if the map is removed, only way to do it would be a fit a jb4 or dtuk tuning box which are undetectable but not as good as a full ecu remap

Deleted member 103408

Until you have a crash and have to have the car towed back to the garage when they see the box.......

I excepted the risk, along with the damage that could happen to the car and had no issues during warranty period.
I would also point out that based on this forum Manual Gearbox people have issues with Clutch's so either upgrade or don't do it.
The rest of the issues in general have been non engine related (and yes there have been some but not lots and lots) so you have to do a risk assessment of what you can afford if no cover...

And as always if you are putting more power on the car then stuff will break its a fact of life just when.

Reactions: paddy6789

King_leon

Apr 7, 2019
I couldn’t thank you guys enough for your advice! I’ve weighed in the risk vs the gains and it’s not worth it in the end. I’ll leave it till it’s after it’s warranty period before the mapping. In the mean time I’ll just focus on the aesthetics and make it look good .

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I wish nothing else than to put an APR stage 1 remap on my car, but with a 5 year extended warranty (that I suspect will only go to 4 years based on how much I drive the car) I have elected to stay away from engine mods until then.
In my previous car (Octavia VRS) i had the same dilema and after 1 year of ownership was debating to just map it. Engine went bang, replaced with a new one under warranty, no questions or fuss, with a courtesy car while I waited for my engine to be built, shipped and replaced.
If I had a remap on that car, I am pretty sure the story would have been much different...

Dr_Pepper

Mar 27, 2019
An ECU file will have a unique number so when a SEAT dealer plugs in their diagnostic equipment it will compare the file stored on your car to the one on the SEAT server if the values don't match it has be tampered with. I think also the ECU records if it has been flashed from original anyway but obviously the things that are checked aren't public information.
I don't doubt that's true and I hear this a lot, but has there ever actually been an instance where a dealer has picked up an owner on this?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.