Carista- easy to use? Sounds very tempting.

Allan

Apr 29, 2019
Hi folks. Just purchased an 18 plate ST 125 FR. Car is great and although I resolved not to spend hours tinkering on the car like on previous motors , I came across the above subject on here.
In theory it sounds great- needle sweep, single click mirror fold and enabling park pilot display are right up my alley. For under £20 it seems like a no brainer but whilst I've been happy tinkering in the engine bay and underneath on my older cars I'm a bit worried about mucking this up with it being software related. Is it pretty easy to do?
Is the app fairly simple to use? I've previously used obd readers/torque app to reset fault codes but this seems like a bit of a step up.
Not sure if I need the beta version as some have said but that was in older posts from last year..
Apologies for going on a bit, ta in advance for any info.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I’ve got OBD11 and some have Carista. Both are good for what you want with Carista being the cheaper (yes you will need Beta) but it also cannot do as much as OBD11.

One thing you could do is see if anyone near to you has either and could do the changes for you. It’s a great way to meet members and would save you a few quid. The community is good and there are lots of people who like to be of help.

Worth a shot unless of course you want to purchase yourself. Whichever way you go it isn’t that daunting a task and it’s fairly straightforward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allan

Apr 29, 2019
I’ve got OBD11 and some have Carista. Both are good for what you want with Carista being the cheaper (yes you will need Beta) but it also cannot do as much as OBD11.

One thing you could do is see if anyone near to you has either and could do the changes for you. It’s a great way to meet members and would save you a few quid. The community is good and there are lots of people who like to be of help.

Worth a shot unless of course you want to purchase yourself. Whichever way you go it isn’t that daunting a task and it’s fairly straightforward.

Cheers Maypack.
I take it tweaks like that wouldn't invalidate the warranty?

StumpyLeon

Feb 16, 2019
Hi folks. Just purchased an 18 plate ST 125 FR. Car is great and although I resolved not to spend hours tinkering on the car like on previous motors , I came across the above subject on here.
In theory it sounds great- needle sweep, single click mirror fold and enabling park pilot display are right up my alley. For under £20 it seems like a no brainer but whilst I've been happy tinkering in the engine bay and underneath on my older cars I'm a bit worried about mucking this up with it being software related. Is it pretty easy to do?
Is the app fairly simple to use? I've previously used obd readers/torque app to reset fault codes but this seems like a bit of a step up.
Not sure if I need the beta version as some have said but that was in older posts from last year..

i got carista a few weeks back, make sure you go ont he BETA version as they are looking for leon 5F owners, i have unlocked quite a few things on my 2014 leon tsi.
highly recommend it bud

Reactions: Allan

CovFC87

Mar 29, 2019

With OBD11 is it coding rather than just switches on the Carista?

Sent from my Razer using Tapatalk

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Cheers Maypack.
I take it tweaks like that wouldn't invalidate the warranty?

My local dealer has had MrsMaypacks Leon Xcellence back in for a service and I’ve made a few tweaks to her car with no mention from the Dealer.

I’ve added a from splitter to my CUPRA and the Dealer Principal came out and took a picture saying he liked it.

All changes are reversible as well. So if bothered you could return to normal if the car had to go into the garage for whatever reason.

Reactions: Allan

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
Hi. I've got both although I haven't really used the OBD11 yet.... still waiting for a switch so I can have auto lights and you can't code the switch in with Carista or set up auto wipers.
I've done needle sweep, single click mirror fold, carbon effect on infotainment etc and it's quite straight forward, but you do need the Beta version.
OBD11 looks fairly straight forward as well plus there are is plenty of advice on here and OBD11 forum if you get stuck

Deleted member 103408

With regards to all tools that allow you to enable stuff on your car, Seat Customer Services have the following statement

Thank you for your recent contact with SEAT Customer Services.

We would recommend that any alterations made to a vehicle or any parts used on your vehicle should be SEAT approved. If this recommendation is not followed and a non SEAT approved part/accessory is used on your vehicle and a fault occurs as a result of the use of this component then your warranty will be void.

If also you turned on any features of a component that did not come as standard on your vehicle and that component broke the cost will not be covered by SEAT and in doing so the warranty on any related parts can also be affected.

Having said that very few dealers can be bothered with worrying about this sort of stuff so the reality is you would be unlucky to have a warranty failure. But legally they are within there rights to reject the claim.
I would also stress that the warranty covers a lot of the car so if you tweak your dashboard and that fails then yes they could reject but if the engine has a problem it would be very difficult for them to reject that as its unrelated.

Allan

Apr 29, 2019
Hmmmm. Food for thought!
Ggggrrr.. needle sweep and park pilot visuals... must resist!

Deleted member 103408

I personally would not worry about it, there are literally thousands of people who have done these things and had no issues.

Most of the Warranty problems are much more focused on people like me who have modified the engine / gearbox etc.

And as @Maypack said you can just revert them back to stock before taking it in so nothing is visible.

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford
I too am enticed by the modifications that an ODB11 can make to my vehicle, however I am an iPhone user so am currently waiting on their next iteration which I believe is due out fairly soon...

Deleted member 103408

Yes the Apple version is available for pre order on the 3rd, however there will be a limited number of dongles for sale and the first release will not support fully manual coding, that will follow at a later date.

Reactions: Maypack

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford
Yes the Apple version is available for pre order on the 3rd, however there will be a limited number of dongles for sale and the first release will not support fully manual coding, that will follow at a later date.

Thanks @theoldboy
Think I'll wait then if that's the case. Not one for double dipping if it's restrictive from a dongle perspective as appose to the the App software.
I'm not in any rush to be honest.

Deleted member 103408

Sorry the dongle will be fully functional, its just they have not yet fully developed the APP software to work fully.

You wont have to buy a new dongle after this one, just wait for software update to give you more access.

But I agree I would wait for a bit so they can iron out the bugs first.

Reactions: IL Cattivo

CovFC87

Mar 29, 2019
I've activated the beep when locking and unlocking in Carista, but it said you need to activate acoustic, I can't find how to do that. Any help please. Apologies if this has been said somewhere else

I've ticked the box. Still doesn't work though

Sent from my Razer using Tapatalk
d8012c7292767447eec80732e529c71c.jpg

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.