6J Ibiza Cupra tidy up

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
So freshly built engine being put in next week.

In the end it was catastrophic damage to the engine. Numerous issue, chain, cracked pistons, one of the crank bearings had spun....

But back on the road real soon!

Apr 14, 2019
Glad to hear you got all that done on warranty! The Mini looks great with the bike engine :)

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
Finally.... this car is back in my possession working as it should (almost) car was passed among numerous garages to diagnose the issue.

Shortly after i took the car back with fresh new engine it developed a miss fire at idle.
Seems there was damaged piston, even though it was new. possible cause was faulty/dripping injector. New piston fitted and new injectors.

4 months later I have the car again, all fixed under warranty forma the used car dealer I bought it from. So super happy despite the long wait.

Though, seems there is a judder (maybe clutch) sometimes when setting off in 1st.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
Faulty Lamba sensor seems to be the cause.

As the winter approaches I begin ti think about sooner winter wheels. Remembering that this is a budget tidy up, I bought a second hand set of of 15" wheels and studded tyres. Guess what..... they didn't fit over the Audi tt /golf4 break discs /caliper is fitted.

Was really tough to find a set of wheels here in Sweden. 17" would mean the tyre chose was limited and expensive. So I bought the only 16" wheels within 100km radius. Still paid 100 pounds for them

Not the best condition but beggars can't be choosers:

nOuWe4A.jpg

Javw5Kj.jpg

I set to them with a 240 flap disc on a drill, maybe a bit aggressive but the scratches were pretty deep.

sHIER5L.jpg

Then some 240 wet and dry. and then 1000 wet and dry

8GYd865.jpg

Turned out Ok, I could have used some filler in places, but I skipped that.

Primer on:
Z5rNKZE.jpg

Colour on:

TuvriyG.jpg

Clear on (excuse my growing lamps, for my collection of tropical plants, honest) :

Xv0u9Ev.jpg

JzTLrlB.jpg

I will give them a second coat and then flat them back and polish/cut them.

Not to bad i think. now to decide on studded tyres or not

Last edited:

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
Started the process of adjusting the koni shocks. Fitted by a previous owner and set way too hard.

The adjustment tab on the front right snapped off a while back, after a chat with Koni turns out they can't be adjusted another way. So new shock ordered. Started to change that and was halted immediately by the drop link stud snapping at the hex insert. So new one ordered and I will cut the old one off, when it arrives.

Moved onto the rears - Crazy that they need to be removed to be adjusted. They were set a little over half way towards hard. Now set to almost the softest.

b8qaKMR.jpg

Nice autumn picture too - starting to fall back in love with this car

kfXhsaV.jpg

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
So drop link removed.
Shock off and swapped over, wasn't the easiest of jobs actually.

I7voxlB.jpg

SkcYlXs.jpg

Will finish it tomorrow morning

Was also a bit tight in the my garage, normally only reserved for my k1100 BMW Motorbike cylinder headed mini. Time to expand the garage maybe...

fksRuCa.jpg

n8g6hIY.jpg

ow1SvbL.jpg

2EgBi2b.jpg

Last edited:

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
Super happy with the new suspension set up. All four koni shocks set to almost fully soft. Could be a bit harder in the front, but it is nice and comfortable as it is. I understand the koni at their softest are even harder than standard.

Now onto tyre choice.

4TTpbJC.jpg

hja4RBN.jpg

I ordered a set of studded set hakkapeliitta 195/55/16 seems like they might fit even though they are a bit tall.

Though I will fit a set of michelin alpine friction winter tyres instead (195/50/16). The non studded seem a better choice on the wet and in soft snow.

I have an Audi a4 quattro for the icey / compacted snow days.

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
Just a quick update,

Super happy with the suspension on soft. Just hard enough, not to be annoying.

Rebuilt engine seems to be running very nicely. I will wait until the warranty ends sometime in March and then gol for a revo stage 2 tune, downpipe and larger intercooler (which I bought 6 months ago).

Have a Racingline induction kit in the post which I will try and modify to fit.

Might look for a front lip/splitter.

But in general, loving this little car. Fuel efficient and still has enough power when needed.

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
Racingline induction kit arrived. As expected it didn't fit, I guess it must be for Polo Gti as the battery on the ibiza is in the way.

So i trimmed the silicone hose and mounted the pod/filer. I will source some hosing to run the the grill. But not bad for 35 pound eBay find.

Wj8C0s4.jpg

ZakG

Nov 16, 2018
Comparison of the standard discs and the 312mm
fzaHOSi.jpg

Also Golf 4 callipers and discs fitted:
F9OGc4u.jpg

They are still bedding in, but certainly feel much better.

Also managed to find a set of 6J0601025F wheels.

ZeWvmHZ.jpg

iRXGw2W.jpg

A bit overkill fitting drilled discs to the rear, but why not....

DLF5TG5.jpg
Alright mate car looks tidy what exactly did you do for the big brake conversion? Been through all the threads but still find it unclear. Looking to do something similar on my Ibiza FR Edition (288mm standard fronts).
Cheers

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
Alright mate car looks tidy what exactly did you do for the big brake conversion? Been through all the threads but still find it unclear. Looking to do something similar on my Ibiza FR Edition (288mm standard fronts).
Cheers

See if i can remember - You need the cavaliers & carriers from a Golf V Anniversary, Audi TT Mk1 or an S3 Mk1. Probably there are others.

There seem to be a couple of variants, the important thing is that the callipers you need have this diamond shape
2Mqi8Lp.jpg

I don't have a part number for you. But a search of 312mm TT callipers should help you there.

I can add that it made a huge difference to my car.

ZakG

Nov 16, 2018
See if i can remember - You need the cavaliers & carriers from a Golf V Anniversary, Audi TT Mk1 or an S3 Mk1. Probably there are others.

There seem to be a couple of variants, the important thing is that the callipers you need have this diamond shape
2Mqi8Lp.jpg

I don't have a part number for you. But a search of 312mm TT callipers should help you there.

I can add that it made a huge difference to my car.
Ok thank you very much for the information about needing the diamond shape that helps a lot! So for example this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-TT-...770730?hash=item262bedeeea:g:LncAAOSwI45dzsZB

Or these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswag...492030?hash=item4da2e66d3e:g:JG0AAOSw~rBdryzq

And yes the standard 288mm setup is pretty terrible! Also did you leave the rears the same size but just put better pads and discs on?

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
Ok thank you very much for the information about needing the diamond shape that helps a lot! So for example this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-TT-...770730?hash=item262bedeeea:g:LncAAOSwI45dzsZB

Or these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswag...492030?hash=item4da2e66d3e:g:JG0AAOSw~rBdryzq

And yes the standard 288mm setup is pretty terrible! Also did you leave the rears the same size but just put better pads and discs on?

They are the ones! But you also need the carriers.

Yip, just decent pads, yeti discs are more to match the fronts.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.