Dipstick stuck

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
This sounds quite silly but I can't check the oil on my new Cupra 290 as the dipstick has two plastic tabs that's gripping the collar of the dipstick tube. Never encountered this before on any other car, Im sure there's an embarrassingly easy way to remove the dipstick. I feel a bit of a dipstick asking the question :headhurt::help:

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Is it not just a bit stiff being new so just needs a good tug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kibber

Dec 23, 2018
Mine was exactly the same and I wondered how it had been checked during PDI....

It has now become more of a normal fit, after a good few oil level checks.

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
Mine was exactly the same and I wondered how it had been checked during PDI....

It has now become more of a normal fit, after a good few oil level checks.
But how did you initially remove it without breaking the plastic?

Kibber

Dec 23, 2018
It felt completely stuck in, as you stated. I applied a fair amount of force directly upwards and it eventually released. It was more sealed in than held by the plastic clips. It will make more sense, when it finally releases. Mine remained fairly tight on the seal for a few weeks. I have also never come across this before and on new cars.

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
It felt completely stuck in, as you stated. I applied a fair amount of force directly upwards and it eventually released. It was more sealed in than held by the plastic clips. It will make more sense, when it finally releases. Mine remained fairly tight on the seal for a few weeks. I have also never come across this before and on new cars.
Brute force it is tomorrow then but why are those plastic clips even there?

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Give it a twist as u pull it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
This sounds quite silly but I can't check the oil on my new Cupra 290 as the dipstick has two plastic tabs that's gripping the collar of the dipstick tube. Never encountered this before on any other car, Im sure there's an embarrassingly easy way to remove the dipstick. I feel a bit of a dipstick asking the question :headhurt::help:
You have just asked the question that was on my mind, as like you i tried to simply remove the dipstick but the little plastic tabs seem to be holding it down. Thanks for raising this post :coolthumb
Please let me know ho you get on.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
You have to twist it before you pull it. If you look closely there is a lip on the tube which narrows at two (opposite) points. Twist the dipstick until the tabs line up with the narrower parts of the lip. Took me ages the first time I checked my oil :)

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
You have to twist it before you pull it. If you look closely there is a lip on the tube which narrows at two (opposite) points. Twist the dipstick until the tabs line up with the narrower parts of the lip. Took me ages the first time I checked my oil :)
Yes, I've only just seen the narrower part and there was a pen marked at that point although it was still very tight so I put a small amount of oil around the lip then turned the stick so that the tabs are lubricated then I managed to pull it free. Thanks for all your help. The oil level is at the halfway point so I need to top it up soon

Reactions: Cupra81

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Yes, I've only just seen the narrower part and there was a pen marked at that point although it was still very tight so I put a small amount of oil around the lip then turned the stick so that the tabs are lubricated then I managed to pull it free. Thanks for all your help. The oil level is at the halfway point so I need to top it up soon
I think that might be where it's supposed to be. I would be happier if it was nearer the top, but mine isn't using any oil.

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
I think that might be where it's supposed to be. I would be happier if it was nearer the top, but mine isn't using any oil.
The car is slightly tipped to its left when on the drive so I'll check it again tomorrow on level ground

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
I have been driving 50 years and serviced ALL my cars [and others] I understood some do not even have a dipstick, [APART from behind the wheel!!]
This is my first VAG one so I was confused about the well and truly SEIZED in clipped on stick. Thought it was electric version or a seal and it was checked another way.
It would NOT shift.
Embarrassed to say I had to ring the Squealer.

In the end BRUTE FORCED it out. Fine now.

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
According to the manual which I went through in detail last night, you run the car until its at operating temperature then switch off, leave for 2 minutes before checking the oil level.
Still couldn't find the oil type (?w?) stated anywhere

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Still couldn't find the oil type (?w?) stated anywhere

Try 5w30 and you get to chose the exact spec as it has varied a bit plus depends what servicing schedule the car is on.

Some is in the maintenance manual posted recently.

Most likely spec VW 502.00 (fully synthetic).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.