Compressor wheel hitting housing when spun by hand

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
is It normal for the compressor blade to hit the housing wall when being spun by hand? It’s not a constant but I’ve been getting some sort of metal scraping noise but dno if it’s this. The blades are really really close to the housing maybe even touching

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
Here’s a pic

Attachments

• AC6A9171-CEDB-4704-8FFB-31145C0E09EE.jpeg
    AC6A9171-CEDB-4704-8FFB-31145C0E09EE.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 329

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
The blades are designed to run tight clearances. Do they actually touch, ie make a scraping noise when turned? Can you feel it touching?
Is there any play in the shaft?

Reactions: TheSwede

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
The blades are designed to run tight clearances. Do they actually touch, ie make a scraping noise when turned? Can you feel it touching?
Is there any play in the shaft?

If I try move the compressor wheel from the intake side as I can’t get to the other side it feels solid, it rubs against the housing when I spin it by hand but doesn’t scrape the full turn, it’s intermittent

lasnah

Jan 30, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
If the blade moves left and right/up-down a tiny bit it's okay, because when the bushing warms up it gets tighter and eliminates the play. If the blade moves back and forward then that's what you should be worried about

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Hi Arron. I read your first post too.
Do not google Turbo Scraping noise if you do not want to get upset!!!

Reactions: arronleeds

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
If the blade moves left and right/up-down a tiny bit it's okay, because when the bushing warms up it gets tighter and eliminates the play. If the blade moves back and forward then that's what you should be worried about

The shaft feels fine, no play, it’s just when I spin the blades it scrapes the housing ever so slightly, not enough to slow it down.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site

Agree with lasnah - I think play fore and aft would be the thrust bearings? There are a few instances of earlier (2014) EA888 engines going because the turbo digs into the housing and shatters - I think it was corrected after 2014 but if anyone wants to correct me, feel free!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
Agree with lasnah - I think play fore and aft would be the thrust bearings? There are a few instances of earlier (2014) EA888 engines going because the turbo digs into the housing and shatters - I think it was corrected after 2014 but if anyone wants to correct me, feel free!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried to see if there was any play and there was a slight bit of play up and down, but not back and forward.

Reactions: xyz

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Are the bearings bushings or ball? If the latter, there should be no detectable play.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
I believe the play in this case feels big. I checked the play in my former Golf 7 R a year ago. There was a minor play nearly not detectable. Normal.

Reactions: lasnah

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
How about this? I took the elbow off and started the car, these engines are noisy as ****

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
That's spinning too freely to be contacting the housing, the play should not be visible, you should barely be able to feel it.
Get it to a dealer. Or strip it down yourself if you do your own work.

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
That's spinning too freely to be contacting the housing, the play should not be visible, you should barely be able to feel it.
Get it to a dealer. Or strip it down yourself if you do your own work.

Il get it looked at regardless mate, the play seems to be very very small, when it was hot it seemed like the play was even less. Someone said to me where the compressor blades are it looks shiny like the blades been scraping, but I believe that’s just where the hosing steps down in size to keep the compressor as tight as possible.

Reactions: LouG