What cam belt and water pump

Dj magpie

Apr 9, 2019
Hi new to seat i just bought a mk 1 cupra 225 bam and wanting to change the cam belt and water pump ive seen its advised to buy the metal propeller one thats what its got in at the moment can any one recommend what brand or kit to get thanks in advance

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
It depends on the year - I can't remember the exact year, but I think on the pre-2001 cars, you need a kit that comes with a vibration damper, but for later than that it's not needed.

I got a Gates belt kit from Jayar, and a Metelli water pump too, and the water pump was all metal. For all this it cost me £120, so pretty reasonably priced.

Gates do a kit that has all of the parts, including the water pump, but I wasn't able to get hold of it before doing the work, but in terms of both price and quality, I don't think there's much of a difference.

Dj magpie

Apr 9, 2019
Its a 55 plate so late ,Thanks ill look into that
It depends on the year - I can't remember the exact year, but I think on the pre-2001 cars, you need a kit that comes with a vibration damper, but for later than that it's not needed.

I got a Gates belt kit from Jayar, and a Metelli water pump too, and the water pump was all metal. For all this it cost me £120, so pretty reasonably priced.

Gates do a kit that has all of the parts, including the water pump, but I wasn't able to get hold of it before doing the work, but in terms of both price and quality, I don't think there's much of a difference.

Reactions: iammooks

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
To be honest with you there is no need for the metal impeller as the plastic ones were upgraded many moons ago because of the amount of failures. Just make sure it’s a genuine VAG part mine was last replaced a couple of years ago and trusted mechanic told me all about it
But hey, it’s entirely up to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nam-uk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Its a 55 plate so late ,Thanks ill look into that

Companies like Jayar shoot themselves in the foot by not keeping online inventory - if I'd known they stocked Gates kits, I'd have gone there straight away rather than try and get one shipped from some internet place in Germany, thinking that was the only place that had them at a decent price.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
gates kit and genuine water pump never had an issue, that water pump problem is like from 2001 or around then. getting mine done again in a few days as well.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Weres best place to get a gates kit to m8?
first kit i got was from AVS with ini tensioners but that was a while ago, the garage i use now use gates kits all i say is genuine water pump, price was still the same, just i do not need to faff around now lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.