Where am I heading with "Last Chance Really"

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Fortunately I don't remember much if anything about it ......my dad told me that when he got to the spot the medics actually thought I dead and didnt even know how to pick me up.
It took me 16 years to get back on a bike and less than 2 track days to end up in hospital after a fairly frought track day .....new pins in the ankles, couple of minor ops and I continued until age 50 when i didn't think I needed to prove anything any more. 5 years on and the itch is back !

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
My LCR is a road legal track car.

Owned it for a while, did the mods as I went along

First track day the car has a stage 1 remap, lowering springs & 1 bucket seat.

Second track day the car had uprated pads & brake fluid

Third track day better tyres and an air filter / TIP.

Done about 30 in it over the last 5 or so years, only ever let me down twice, and it gets driven hard!

After each track day you want to do that bit more to make it faster / handle better / stop quicker & it’s never ending but you can have fun in these with basic mods!

It’s now partially stripped with bucket seats & harnesses and a dished wheel.
Ap coil overs. Project silver adjustable top mounts. AD08R tyres. Airtec fmic. Stage 2. Full turbo back milltek. Track spec pads and updated discs.

Still a ton more I want to do, but you can get bogged down in thinking your car isn’t ready for the track yet, but you’ll be missing out.. and each time you come off track and do that next mod, and feel the improvement in your car, for me is a great feeling!

If your budget is tight, just track a standard car! You’ll have fun guaranteed

Attachments

• 51274E09-FB06-4B46-B08C-B4D56056E759.jpeg
    51274E09-FB06-4B46-B08C-B4D56056E759.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 81

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Take some pics as you do please, tempted to get one myself down the line, be good to see what efforts involved. Didn't you have a nightmare fitting your front ARB mate?

Bigford11

Jan 19, 2019
London
Hi lads,

Just been reading through everything you have been discussing and its been really helpful.

Im in the process of converting my Leon Cupra R for track use.

Its been striped out
two sparco sprint seat installed
deep dish OMP steering wheel
Ramair induction kit
New coilovers and some gauges (Boost,oil pressure and water temp) going in this weekend

I'm thinking about going for a roll cage next, have any of you put a cage in yours if so any advise on what to go for?
Once iv done that its on to

Either a turbo back or full exhaust system
front mounted intercooler
new dog-bone mounts
and some upgraded boost and turbo pipes
all in preparation for stage 2 remap

Any advise further advise would be great.

Where do you tend to race?

Thanks

James

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
So it seems that I have inadvertently started down the route of turning LCR into a capable track car , this is entirely "Oldboy and Sparkies fault" !!!.
The question is do I continue (obvious answer here is yes, you say) bearing in mind that this is my only daily driver so it cant be too focused but whats worth more a fully tracked (but road legal)car or a road biased track (mods stop where ?)capable car ?

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Hi lads,

Just been reading through everything you have been discussing and its been really helpful.

Im in the process of converting my Leon Cupra R for track use.

Its been striped out
two sparco sprint seat installed
deep dish OMP steering wheel
Ramair induction kit
New coilovers and some gauges (Boost,oil pressure and water temp) going in this weekend

I'm thinking about going for a roll cage next, have any of you put a cage in yours if so any advise on what to go for?
Once iv done that its on to

Either a turbo back or full exhaust system
front mounted intercooler
new dog-bone mounts
and some upgraded boost and turbo pipes
all in preparation for stage 2 remap

Any advise further advise would be great.

Where do you tend to race?

Thanks

James

If you are going stage 2 you will need rods, turbo back, fmic, fpr upgrade but I would sort the handling out first, I've seen many a better handling car out perform a high horse power poor handling one.

I dont race (used to, once upon a time "sigh")but intend to try and fit a couple of track days in at some point.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
So it seems that I have inadvertently started down the route of turning LCR into a capable track car , this is entirely "Oldboy and Sparkies fault" !!!.
The question is do I continue (obvious answer here is yes, you say) bearing in mind that this is my only daily driver so it cant be too focused but whats worth more a fully tracked (but road legal)car or a road biased track (mods stop where ?)capable car ?

I plead the fifth !
Not sure which is worth more.
If stripped like mine it can be put back to road going car in about half an hr. without any real changes remaining.
If f you start removing sound deadening that’s a different level and car looks a bit of a mess.
Either way it’s worth a fraction jof what you pump in to it, sadly.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Deleted member 103408

Happy to have helped you to get back on the track.

My setup has always been about a car I can use daily (comfort mainly) but at the same time good fun on the track.
If you (like me) want it for road use then as @Sparkie said don't do a full strip as it will be horrible to use daily.

This is a hobby (money pit) you don't make money out of so spend what you can afford and get the handling and brakes sorted over time you can add to the power side of things.

Re worth I am not intending to sell my Cupra just keep it and maybe in the end turn it into a full track car - but thats a long way down the line

Reactions: kanyewest

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Take it from someone who did strip it out....DONT DO IT. the price will drop quicker than you can blink and the cold! When cold all that exposure of elements will really try you come next winter time. Summer time, heat is nearly unbearable because let's face it you stripped it very well and took out the air con. My advice is take out the back seats and that's it. Track it like that and put seats back in after.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

One other item to consider, if you are going to track it and its your only car you may want to consider track insurance. Just so you get something out of it if the worse happens. I seem to recall that Green Light do a very good price on track day insurance.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Just to add doesn't mean it wont end up "wheels pointing to the sky" at the bottom of Paddock Hill :), although Druids seems to be my nemesis....having gone in there 3 time on my arse before.......roast cheeks anyone ?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
All good advice - So it stays "true" to a comfortable road car but track biased .........wonder how much this old geriatric alcoholic can sell a kidney for ?

Actually probably not got that much further to go .....he says naively
Rear crash bar weight is about 25kg, Aircon about 20 all in all, spare wheel out, back seats out that's 90-100kg out the car, plastic bits inside add up to a grand some of no more than 15kg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.