New ST FR Sport 190 DSG Mystery Blue is here!

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
My long awaited ST FR Sport 190 DSG in Mystery Blue is here (ordered Oct 2018)! I took some photos of old and new cars before the old one was collected this morning (both on contract hire). Here's a link to the photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wysZEtWScsYrtJUTA

Not had much chance to drive the new one yet, but it's very different to drive compared to my old one (which was a 184 TDI, manual). The new one is much smoother, which is to be expected, and also quieter. So far no rattles etc... long may that last! (the old one developed a few rattles from the rear suspension over time, but to be fair nothing serious).

Loving the digital cockpit too!

Off to Cornwall (6+ hour drive) on Thursday for a few days, so will give me a chance to really get to know it. For once I'm looking forward to the journey!

If anyone's interested - my old one has gone to British Car Auctions in Camberley. It's a ST FR 184 TDI Tech Pack (MY16) in Alor Blue, 15k miles, with SEAT sound, Alcantara, Winter Pack (heated seats), Convenience Pack, 18" wheels, boot divider net, Android Auto/Apple Carplay/Full Link. Will be a good buy for someone!

Last edited:

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Lovely car you have there and in a beautiful colour.
The trip to Cornwall will test it , lots of villages to go through , times stuck behind a tractor ! And the A30.
Let us know your comparisons with the 184.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Let us know what MPG you get. I'm guesing around 43-45mpg as it's new and if you stick to the NSL.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
This is the 2.0 petrol right? I'm guessing closer to 40mpg...probably under.

I agree with John and OP, your old car had a good spec, someone will get a lot of car for the money and not many miles, I can see why you went petrol this time

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
Hi guys, cheers for the messages. I had a round trip to Woking (70 miles) today. So far - the main comparison to the 184 is how smooth and 'light' the car feels - guessing a lot of that is down to the lighter engine. It's also quieter (less road noise). Having DSG is so much easier in traffic, and the auto-hold is a brilliant idea too. Those bits combined make the car much more relaxing to drive than the 184 diesel.

As to MPG - this morning's journey there was a mix of 50mph (M23 roadworks), a stretch of 70mph on M25 and then the last 15 miles stop-start (typical M25). Coming home was better - 60-70mph on M25 and then 50 again on M23.

The average mpg for the journey was 42.3mpg.

The same journey in the 184 diesel would have been around 48mpg so I'm pretty pleased - bearing in mind this is brand new. I think this engine, as others have said on here, is one of those that can give a lot of fun when asked, but also has the potential to be very economical too.

One thing I was a bit worried about was that I'd miss the SEAT Sound from my old car (it wasn't an option on the new one when I ordered it). That is not the case - if anything, the new one has better audio - it sounds more natural, and just as powerful/punchy.

So far - absolutely loving it! I'll keep you all posted.

Alex Kid

May 8, 2019
Hi guys, cheers for the messages. I had a round trip to Woking (70 miles) today. So far - the main comparison to the 184 is how smooth and 'light' the car feels - guessing a lot of that is down to the lighter engine. It's also quieter (less road noise). Having DSG is so much easier in traffic, and the auto-hold is a brilliant idea too. Those bits combined make the car much more relaxing to drive than the 184 diesel.

As to MPG - this morning's journey there was a mix of 50mph (M23 roadworks), a stretch of 70mph on M25 and then the last 15 miles stop-start (typical M25). Coming home was better - 60-70mph on M25 and then 50 again on M23.

The average mpg for the journey was 42.3mpg.

The same journey in the 184 diesel would have been around 48mpg so I'm pretty pleased - bearing in mind this is brand new. I think this engine, as others have said on here, is one of those that can give a lot of fun when asked, but also has the potential to be very economical too.

One thing I was a bit worried about was that I'd miss the SEAT Sound from my old car (it wasn't an option on the new one when I ordered it). That is not the case - if anything, the new one has better audio - it sounds more natural, and just as powerful/punchy.

So far - absolutely loving it! I'll keep you all posted.

Excellent write up, glad your loving the new car! Waiting on delivery of mine in the next few weeks, can't wait! Cheers again

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
Hi all

OK an update after my drive down to Cornwall yesterday. The car was fairly well loaded (2 of us plus dog, plus lots of luggage and stuff). Other than 15 minutes of stop-start traffic on the M23, the rest of the journey was fine, no traffic to speak of, so was more or less at the speed limit all the way (75 on the motorways).

I filled up the tank before I left, and we had two stops. The average mpg for the journey was 41.8.

The main thing that is taking some getting used to compared to the 184 diesel, is the power delivery. On the A303 where the road changes from two-way to dual carriageway, the 184 would go from, say, 50-75 almost instantly (or so it felt!) without dropping from 6th gear - I could easily leave the slower traffic I was overtaking behind. The 190 petrol DSG needs more 'encouragement' - ie, it needs to drop a gear or sometimes two, and much more gas to get it there. It's fine but is a definite difference, and there is a definite 'delay' whilst the DSG gearbox sorts itself out.

Of course the 190 petrol is much smoother and significantly quieter than the 184 diesel, and I have to say I got out of it after 5.5 hours feeling very relaxed, which I never did after that journey in the 184 diesel.

One thing that I definitley don't like about the DSG (it's a minor niggle) is that when it's put into reverse, it seems to take a couple of seconds to actually 'do it' - which is irritating when you're trying to reverse into a tight space and have cars waiting! Anyone else notice this?

Conclusion so far:
For driving around town, in traffic, and on windy roads/narrow Cornish lanes: The 190 DSG is much easier to drive.
For motorway driving: There's not much difference, but the 190 is much quieter and more relaxing.
For 'mixed' faster driving on dual carriageways, two-way roads etc: They are pretty equal. The 190 DSG wins out on 'ease' and smoothness, but the 184 wins out on the torque and sheer power between about 50-70.

I like them both, but overall so far I prefer the 190 DSG. It's just easier to drive all round and once you get used to the difference in power delivery (if you're coming from a diesel like I did), is as much fun.

Challymo

Apr 13, 2019
I feel the same as you with the in gear grunt, I came from a diesel Octavia VRS to the Cupra and initially felt a little disappointed with the in gear acceleration, however I have started to pre-empt when I will need to accelerate and tipping the paddles down a cog or two in advance. When doing that it is just as grunty if not more so.

nickbrown_500

Dec 6, 2009
Nottingham
Looking good, I've also gone for the mystery blue Leon. Absolutely love the colour.

Also come from a Ibiza 2.0tdi FR to a petrol DSG, and loving the DSG can be lazy in traffic but then still gives you the option to change gears easy when going for a more spirited drive.

Got to agree the engines are very smooth, especially compared to the diesel I had before. And off the line the DSG helps, seems to fly through the gears low down while picking up speed. Couldn't gear change that quick.

Reactions: Kieran Lewer

Kieran Lewer

Feb 24, 2019
6AD6DE2C-AE13-484E-A1FF-3B5112C91E6A.jpeg
Absolutely loving my Xcellence 2.0 DSG, and agree with everything that’s been said here. Mine’s also in mystery blue (amazing colour) and, if I nurse it, I can get ridiculous MPG (the pic is from a 35 mile run in rush hour)

Throttle response takes some getting used to, is a very gentle drive unless you plant the pedal but once you’re in sync with the car it’s a great drive.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members