Performance 30/1 alloy wheel mods

Alex Kid

May 8, 2019
Hi All,

Thinking of painting my 18" Performance 30/1 wheels.
Have been trying to get ideas from online and the forum to find pics.
I have a Magnetic Grey ST and am keen to see any examples of any painted 30/1's to see the best options. I've attached a pic of what looks like a gloss black & silver 30/1 which I think looks good
79860397.jpg
8b2534b1eb140715338736a719fbd60b.jpg

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I remember seeing this one online and thought it looked really good
eb1e6825b9abc88720d541907ef593ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Alex Kid

The wheels in the second picture you’ve posted are diamond cut (also known as polished or machined). When they’re manufactured, they’re painted or powder coated black, and the face is then cut away on a diamond cutting lathe to expose the bare, shiny metal. A coat of lacquer is then applied to protect the bare metal surface.

The problem with diamond cut wheels is poor durability - especially during the winter months. Bare metal isn’t a good surface for lacquer to adhere to, so any damage to the surface caused by flying stones and grit, or kerbing, and water gets under the lacquer and ‘creeps’ over the wheel between the bare metal and lacquer, causing a cloudy white, milky appearance (white worm corrosion). This can only be removed by refurbishing the wheel. Because of the poor durability of diamond cut wheels, many succumb to white worm corrosion between 2-3 years old.

I personally dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion! Given the choice I’d always go for a painted / powder coat finish, and would never refurbish a painted / powder coated wheel with a diamond cut finish.

Other issues with diamond cut wheels;
  • Expensive to refurbish.
  • Can usually only be refurbished a maximum of two times; recutting the face of the wheel removes a layer of metal, so more than two refurbishments and the structural integrity of the wheel can be compromised.
  • Easily damaged by poorly maintained tyre fitting equipment and inexperienced tyre fitters.
Car colour can be a factor in choosing wheel colour and you’ve not said what colour your car is. I’d go for a gun metal / anthracite painted / powder coated finish if this would match or coordinate well with your car’s paint colour.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I remember seeing this one online and thought it looked really good
eb1e6825b9abc88720d541907ef593ef.jpg

Yes, that does look good. The colour of those wheels look as if they’re anthracite, which IMO would go well with most colours of car - especially red, white, black, silver and certain shades of blue.

Alex Kid

May 8, 2019
@Alex Kid

The wheels in the second picture you’ve posted are diamond cut (also known as polished or machined). When they’re manufactured, they’re painted or powder coated black, and the face is then cut away on a diamond cutting lathe to expose the bare, shiny metal. A coat of lacquer is then applied to protect the bare metal surface.

The problem with diamond cut wheels is poor durability - especially during the winter months. Bare metal isn’t a good surface for lacquer to adhere to, so any damage to the surface caused by flying stones and grit, or kerbing, and water gets under the lacquer and ‘creeps’ over the wheel between the bare metal and lacquer, causing a cloudy white, milky appearance (white worm corrosion). This can only be removed by refurbishing the wheel. Because of the poor durability of diamond cut wheels, many succumb to white worm corrosion between 2-3 years old.

I personally dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion! Given the choice I’d always go for a painted / powder coat finish, and would never refurbish a painted / powder coated wheel with a diamond cut finish.

Other issues with diamond cut wheels;
  • Expensive to refurbish.
  • Can usually only be refurbished a maximum of two times; recutting the face of the wheel removes a layer of metal, so more than two refurbishments and the structural integrity of the wheel can be compromised.
  • Easily damaged by poorly maintained tyre fitting equipment and inexperienced tyre fitters.
Car colour can be a factor in choosing wheel colour and you’ve not said what colour your car is. I’d go for a gun metal / anthracite painted / powder coated finish if this would match or coordinate well with your car’s paint colour.
Thanks for the input.
I've had a Merc that suffered with this and it was only a couple of years old.

I wonder if there are companies that can offer this colour style without diamond cutting?

As above, I'm waiting on arrival of a Grey ST so any pics of these wheels in different colours would be interesting to see.

Cheers :)

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
One of my neighbours has one with the Performance Alloys in gloss black and I nearly went the same

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Thanks for the input.

I wonder if there are companies that can offer this colour style without diamond cutting?

As above, I'm waiting on arrival of a Grey ST so any pics of these wheels in different colours would be interesting to see.

My merc after 2 years all alloys was replaced.
They didnt like me in the end.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks for the input.

I’d doubt many, if any, alloy wheel refurbishing companies do a two tone paint / powder coat finish. If they do, it’s likely to be very expensive to achieve, due to the time it would take, and time costs money.

To achieve a diamond cut look with two different colours of paint / powder coat it’d be necessary paint / powder coat the entire wheel in one colour first, then undertake the time consuming task of masking up each wheel to cover those parts that are to remain in the first colour before applying the second colour. The more intricate the design of the wheel, the more time (and cost) would be involved in masking up.

That’s why these two tone wheels are almost always diamond cut - it’s much quicker / more time efficient to paint / powder coat an entire wheel and then remove paint from the face by re-cutting the face back to bare metal than it would be to paint, mask up, and then repaint.

I suppose the exception could be where just the rim edge of the wheel is to be a different colour, as it ought to be fairly easy to paint a thin line around the edge of a wheel while it’s attached to some form of rotating hub, without the need for complex masking up.

ima

Apr 6, 2014
After lots of uncertainty about colour choice I went gloss black and I’m really glad I did!

ima

Apr 6, 2014
Here you go. Hopefully gives you an idea.

Attachments

• 03C23ABB-2594-41E5-850C-66E40500A433.jpeg
    03C23ABB-2594-41E5-850C-66E40500A433.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 0CBE0574-4538-4D8A-89E8-42EE2BAC6569.jpeg
    0CBE0574-4538-4D8A-89E8-42EE2BAC6569.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: Hag
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.