Cupra Leon

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Auto Express has pics and details of Cupra Leon, coming in 2020/21 and will be hybrid but with more power than Fomentor, and also be available as a petrol only too, looks more like my type of car than the half SUV.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Reactions: Brooster89

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Decent effort though this time

You can see the current MK3, R and the new MK4 elements they've used.

I hope they do get rid of the front fogs on the new design.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yeh usual photoshops. When I was talking to the boss of Cupra Racing in Barca recently he was super excited about the possibility of the future Cupra being powerful electric ones.

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
I'm definitely excited for the prospect of performance hybrids, but I can't wrap my head around why they aren't putting bigger engines in.
IIRC the current performance hybrids are running 1.4L engines? Why not 1.6, 2.0 :D

Either way the electric drivetrain should produce some nice takeoffs, just a shame about the extra weight.

Anyone know how tuneable existing performance hybrids are, e.g. Golf GTE? 245BHP is nice but I'd like to see how high they can go.

BiggestVern

Aug 16, 2016
Herts
I'm definitely excited for the prospect of performance hybrids, but I can't wrap my head around why they aren't putting bigger engines in.
IIRC the current performance hybrids are running 1.4L engines? Why not 1.6, 2.0 :D

I suspect it's dictated by cost and emissions mostly (VW loves a bit of cost cutting, it's the reason for "Dieselgate" amongst other problems after all). Besides, if the electric motor is powerful enough there's plenty of acceleration whereas the petrol engine is used for higher speed running. With the prospect of 112 mph limiters on new cars, more power just isn't needed.

Of course, enthusiasts are not really being catered for, the hope is that performance will be enough to satisfy most people.

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
I think you make a good point.

My biggest concern is tuning, followed by weight. I'm honestly excited by the idea of a 2020 hybrid Leon but if they turn out to have very little power potential from a remap or are simply too difficult to do (I tried looking into golf GTE tuning and it simply doesn't seem to exist) then that's a red flag.

That said, if it's on the new mqb platform you can guarantee it was built from the ground up to accept hybrid tech whereas the Mk7 golf basically had a hybrid setup shoehorned in. We might see good results then.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Weight is a big concern for me as that has a negative impact on handling, braking and acceleration. The Golf GTE is 200kg heavier than the GTi. If the SEAT Leon Cupra goes hybrid I hope they can reduce the weight impact compared to the Golf GTE. You'll only have 2 years to buy one worth having anyhow, when mandatory speed limiters are fitted in 2022 I see little point in Cupra or any other hot hatches or performance variants from any manufacturer.

Action Man

Mar 24, 2019
Well wasn't there an EU decision that you cant sell cars with exclusive petrol /diesel power from 2025 or summat ...... I keep hearing people telling me that everything has to be electric, but that not what was dictated.... it just says not just fossil fuel.... So my guess is the next 20 years will be hybrid everywhere, since the electric option is not realy supportable with the current crap infrastructure..... and since electric production is 80% via fossil fuel then it not really a solution other than moving pollution out of a city center and into the countryside where all the power stations are

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise