Living with a RARB

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
So I thought I would post a little piece about what the car is like to drive with a rear anti roll bar fitted.

To start some caveats
1. I am on 7 year old stock shocks, springs and bushings
2. I have front upper, front lower and rear strut bars fitted
3. I do not condone or advocate driving outside the legal limits as dictated by relevant laws.
4. I'm a bat fastard and the car has to cope with 20 odd stone extra weight on the drivers side 2 foot back from the engine

However to test the difference it maybe that you have to push things a little bit harder than normal (after all rules are for people with no imagination - allegedly)

So the car is relatively stiff with just the strut bars , feels more solid and generally a little mechanically noisey. But it does mean that you you push it harder into corners , get the power on a little earlier it doesn't make the car any more accurate as the understeer is still present.

With the RARB fitted (I'm on medium settings) the car at low speeds has not really changed yes you know something is different about the handling but its not overly apparent . At medium to higher speeds it makes a big -> huge difference , the ability to go into corner much faster and hold a line with out understeer promotes a big grin.

So basically you can punt it into a corner much faster , hold a much tighter line with the power on meaning your corner exit speeds are also higher as you are not scrubbing power through understeer and the corrections you need to make.

If you are going to get into track days and or race, its a no brainer - well to me anyway.

Reactions: Legojon

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So basically you can punt it into a corner much faster , hold a much tighter line with the power on meaning your corner exit speeds are also higher as you are not scrubbing power through understeer and the corrections you need to make.

A few times I've done this and lost my nerve and tried to turn in tighter to the corner (as I would have done pre-rollbar) and almost clipped the kerb (which at the time had a rock face sticking out as well). But as you say, big grin!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Yup they do stiffen it up well.
Just wait until you change the shocks.
You will not believe it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Yup they do stiffen it up well.
Just wait until you change the shocks.
You will not believe it.

Chassis is now stiff enough that if I jack one corner its lifting the opposite side !!.....yes am buttering up swmbo to go smack the credit card !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Sparkie

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I’d say come and drive mine. See what the BC coilovers are like, but if you’re really nr 20 stone you won’t get in my seat.
In fact you need to be pretty skinny for my seat now.
Annoying.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
The single best modification i did to my old R, I went straight for the stiffest setting

Car was perfect, maybe a little bit twitchy on a soaking wet roundabout but shouldn't be driving like a Tw@ when its raining anyway!

I recommend this mod to anyone with a FWD car that doesn't already have one!

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Mine is a 24mm but when measured was 26mm (25mm + 1mm powder coating) with their own bushings (pretty solid to be honest) and currently using their non adjustable drop links (which I don't like, they look a little flimsy to me), so I'll probably replace them with adjustable ones sooner rather than later.

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
What sizes and makes have people gone for. Also what drop links and bushes did you use
I bought a whiteline RARB from DPM performance, cant remember the size off the top my head

Mine is a 24mm but when measured was 26mm (25mm + 1mm powder coating) with their own bushings (pretty solid to be honest) and currently using their non adjustable drop links (which I don't like, they look a little flimsy to me), so I'll probably replace them with adjustable ones sooner rather than later.

Is yours a whiteline bar?
if so i know what you mean about the flimsy droplinks!

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Reactions: Manic172

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Mine are Eibach front and rear. Front adjustable but set to stiff.
Front did squeak for a few months. Even after re greasing.
Front drop links I’ve added Whiteline Racing adjustables. Rear is standard.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: Manic172