What is the best MK3 Cupra? / Cupra Buying Advice

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
Bit of an odd one, but as in the title - when buying a MK3 Leon Cupra, which is the best? In this case, preferably under 20k and taking value for money into account.

Last year I bought the cheapest MK3 Cupra 280, model year 14, with no bells and no whistles. I'm now looking at modifying it with my current upgrade path looking like it's going to start with an aftermarket exhaust, followed soon after by an uprated clutch which I hear is a near necessity on the Manual if I want to remap.

With that said, after fitting the exhaust will look like it'll come to over £1200. Clutch will also be a similar amount. Finally, if I wanted the MIB2 system that would be a £1200 retrofit also.

For that amount of money, I could probably buy a new Cupra with all the bells and whistles! It's like modding it, but better, and cheaper!

So, given the above - I understand some special editions have come out over the years, I've heard the Sub8 pack is excellent for example but I don't know much about it. I'd be looking to get a Cupra in auto, with a much nicer sounding exhaust than the whooshy MY14 Cupra 280 exhaust, with Full Link. Beyond that, what optional extras do you recommend? Sunroof would be amazing but seems hard to find. Is adaptive cruise control worth it? Etc.
EDIT: I'm also super into the idea of having keyless entry and start / KESSY, but I've heard it's thoroughly insecure. Can I get it and take adequate steps to protect my car, and get on fine?

Last edited:

Challymo

Apr 13, 2019
Not sure about the rest, but you can disable Kessy when locking the car. You just lock it with the key then touch the door sensor within 5 seconds, it then disables keyless entry until it is unlocked with the key.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Can't help much either. But my MK2 doesn't have adaptive cruise control and it's the one thing I really wish I had. Manual CC is a pain because noone can seem to maintain a constant speed on the motorway so you are always faffing about with it or having to brake and restart it. If I could fit it, I would.

Reactions: Abs

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Can't help much either. But my MK2 doesn't have adaptive cruise control and it's the one thing I really wish I had. Manual CC is a pain because noone can seem to maintain a constant speed on the motorway so you are always faffing about with it or having to brake and restart it. If I could fit it, I would.
Having had it I’m glad the Carbon doesn’t have it.

@paddy6789 you always wanted ACC, now you have it on your R what are your thoughts?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
The ACC drives me mad. But at the same time, I like it. I do like that it slows down and speeds up, I just wish it didn't slow down so far away and take it's time in speeding up once a car has moved out the way. It just encourages other people to pull in front of you which slows you down more!

Reactions: gof

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
The ACC drives me mad. But at the same time, I like it. I do like that it slows down and speeds up, I just wish it didn't slow down so far away and take it's time in speeding up once a car has moved out the way. It just encourages other people to pull in front of you which slows you down more!
You can adjust the distance and it works well up North where people don't drive like completely brainless morons.

Reactions: Abs

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Yeah I tried that, in Cupra mode it's much more responsive but just isn't responsive enough for my liking.

As much as I don't like to admit it, Damo is right in saying it does make you a better driver as you leave the same size gap to the car in front that ACC would leave, even when it's not on. But it does encourage the moron drivers to pull into the gap all too frequently. All in all, I do rate ACC and I prefer it over standard cruise control.

Reactions: Damo H

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I beg to differ. The M6 around the Manchester and Liverpool junctions is home to some of the worst driving in the country!
Yes!
dillysilly-20180314011357638.jpg

Reactions: simonali

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
To be fair, most of Surrey and Reading in Berkshire are also terrible!
I think most of the UK (and other countries) are terrible unfortunately!

Back on topic a bit, I've heard of carbon edition, sub8 edition and black edition cupras. Are any of them available in the 2015 onward model years and for under 20k? What do they include?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Dunno if you'd get a Carbon or Sub8 for that price as both quite limited and the former is pretty new. The latter has nice 4 pot front brakes but whether they're any better, or not, only an owner could tell you.

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
Dunno if you'd get a Carbon or Sub8 for that price as both quite limited and the former is pretty new. The latter has nice 4 pot front brakes but whether they're any better, or not, only an owner could tell you.
Yeah I've had a further look and neither add a significant amount or are easy to come by.

We'll move on from that then.

Which Cupra has the best sounding exhaust then? I think it's quite well known the 2014 280 has a really dull windy noise, no tone or sportiness at all. I believe the 290 is meant to be better?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
My advice is aim for a 290, better sat nav (MIB2) and revised exhaust. Or a 2016 model year (late 2015 onwards) 280, as they have the updated sat nav if not the updated exhaust. Lots of cheap options to remove the extra back box and resonator to improve the sound.

Sub8 is rare, comes with side skirts, 4 pot brembos with 370mm discs and side spoilers on the boot. Also different wheels to fit the brakes, but a lot of 280s and 290s has them specced anyway. If you can find a 280 with the sub8 it’ll probably be under 20k, but new discs and pads will be £££. If you do go that route don’t get OEM pads and discs either. Not got time now to explain why but there is plenty of info on the forum about why not.

290 Black Edition would be good as comes with buckets, the sub8 wheels and side spoilers and black cupra badging.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Yeah I've had a further look and neither add a significant amount or are easy to come by.

We'll move on from that then.

Which Cupra has the best sounding exhaust then? I think it's quite well known the 2014 280 has a really dull windy noise, no tone or sportiness at all. I believe the 290 is meant to be better?

Couldn't really hear the exhaust on my 2014 version until the Soundaktor was turned down. Even then it was a pretty bland noise. Can't say about other models but I know the exhaust was modded to make it more 'sporty'.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
My advice is aim for a 290, better sat nav (MIB2) and revised exhaust. Or a 2016 model year (late 2015 onwards) 280, as they have the updated sat nav if not the updated exhaust. Lots of cheap options to remove the extra back box and resonator to improve the sound.

Sub8 is rare, comes with side skirts, 4 pot brembos with 370mm discs and side spoilers on the boot. Also different wheels to fit the brakes, but a lot of 280s and 290s has them specced anyway. If you can find a 280 with the sub8 it’ll probably be under 20k, but new discs and pads will be £££. If you do go that route don’t get OEM pads and discs either. Not got time now to explain why but there is plenty of info on the forum about why not.

290 Black Edition would be good as comes with buckets, the sub8 wheels and side spoilers and black cupra badging.

I second this... wish I had bought a pre facelift 290. It’s the sweet spot in the range as I’m not a fan of the fog lights on the facelift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Yeah I tried that, in Cupra mode it's much more responsive but just isn't responsive enough for my liking.

As much as I don't like to admit it, Damo is right in saying it does make you a better driver as you leave the same size gap to the car in front that ACC would leave, even when it's not on. But it does encourage the moron drivers to pull into the gap all too frequently. All in all, I do rate ACC and I prefer it over standard cruise control.

Have you tried indicating right when they start to pull over? I love my ACC and don’t really want another car without it but it doesn’t seem to be catching on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I might be moving house and my Sub8 with Recaro Buckets .
will be for sale , Bought from main dealer FSSH and just had service , diff oil change, brake fluid and brand new Discs and pads plus 4 X Michelin Pilot Sport 4s all around , if you don't find anything give me a shout.
20190210_215430.jpg

Reactions: rocket3