Leon Cupra to Cupra Ateca

Ben GT

Jan 7, 2015
I'm on the verge of changing my order from the elusive ST to the Cupra Ateca.

The Ateca will be the base model against the ST I ordered in Lux with pano roof.

Has anyone done the change? Any thoughts?

Reactions: Brooster89

Brooster89

Oct 13, 2018
I'm on the verge of changing my order from the elusive ST to the Cupra Ateca.

The Ateca will be the base model against the ST I ordered in Lux with pano roof.

Has anyone done the change? Any thoughts?
As I said to you before, the Cupra Ateca is a nice motor. But it's an SUV so not a natural alternative, if you know what I mean (whereas a Golf R estate or Ford Focus ST estate or Skoda Octavia VRS Challenge estate would be). It really just comes down to what you want in a car.

Ben GT

Jan 7, 2015
As I said to you before, the Cupra Ateca is a nice motor. But it's an SUV so not a natural alternative, if you know what I mean (whereas a Golf R estate or Ford Focus ST estate or Skoda Octavia VRS Challenge estate would be). It really just comes down to what you want in a car.

I have a Focus ST estate now and the new one has had no details released. Orders apparently from June although no guarantee, no pricing and no idea on delivery times.

Golf R estates appear to have vanished off the face of the earth

Skoda, the wife won't let me have one. Took some doing to get a Seat approved!

Ideally I want 4WD and trying to find something with good performance and 4WD is tricky, hence the Cupra Ateca.

I'm not a racing driver, I won't be pushing it to the edge of grip. I'm just someone that likes some power for those times you feel like its required

Brooster89

Oct 13, 2018
I have a Focus ST estate now and the new one has had no details released. Orders apparently from June although no guarantee, no pricing and no idea on delivery times.

Ideally I want 4WD and trying to find something with good performance and 4WD is tricky, hence the Cupra Ateca.

I'm not a racing driver, I won't be pushing it to the edge of grip. I'm just someone that likes some power for those times you feel like its required
Ah gotcha, hadn't figured on the 4 wheel drive thing.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site

If you want something that handles like a barge, buy the Ateca. End of the day, it’s an SUV and will handle like one due to the laws of physics. Be patient and get the car you want - you could be lining yourself up for an expensive mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oldbutswift

Ben GT

Jan 7, 2015
What do you mean by Golf R estates are non existent?

Struggling to find anywhere with stock of new ones

Kind of fallen in love with the A35 AMG now!

Ashley_ng

Jan 27, 2019

Pricing for the new focus st estate starts at £33,095 without optional extras, comes pretty kitted out as standard though tbf, no option for st1/2/3 this time either

Ben GT

Jan 7, 2015
Pricing for the new focus st estate starts at £33,095 without optional extras, comes pretty kitted out as standard though tbf, no option for st1/2/3 this time either

I'm waiting to see what sort of discounts they do and what standard spec is. At the launch of the last ST in 2015 they were heavily discounted (I remember as I nearly bought one!) but ended up with a 120d over the ST TDCi. Finally swapped at the end of 2017

Ashley_ng

Jan 27, 2019
I'm waiting to see what sort of discounts they do and what standard spec is. At the launch of the last ST in 2015 they were heavily discounted (I remember as I nearly bought one!) but ended up with a 120d over the ST TDCi. Finally swapped at the end of 2017
Screenshot_20190514-172301_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20190514-172301_Drive.jpg
£29,495 is the price for the st diesel

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I had a shortish drive in the Cupra Ateca yesterday. I also had an FR 190 PS for a road trip the weekend before.
The Ateca is not bargelike. It is not as nimble as my Cupra, but streets ahead of the FR, which wasn't bad. Steering response is good, ride is better than the Cupra. Sport is similar to normal in the Leon, Cupra feels like sport.
But the launch off the line is what really impresses. The headrests really are needed.
Not to mention performance/price ratio. You have to spend well over $NZ100k to get anything close. The Ateca is $NZ63900.
But, I'm not buying one. I just don't fancy the SUV look, they all impart a certain twatishness down here.

davidisom

Sep 20, 2016
My advise would be don’t do it. The ateca is a to big off the ground and the whereas the st is a proper car with a slight bigger boot. I think you may regret it as a driver . Don’t get me wrong ateca is awesome but it is a suv not a drivers car like the Leon . Good luck whatever you decide.

Reactions: xyz

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
My advise would be don’t do it. The ateca is a to big off the ground and the whereas the st is a proper car with a slight bigger boot. I think you may regret it as a driver . Don’t get me wrong ateca is awesome but it is a suv not a drivers car like the Leon . Good luck whatever you decide.

Have you driven one?

Ben GT

Jan 7, 2015
Having had chance to review I’m not sure what the Ateca offers. Apparently the boot is no good and therefore I may as well get a hatchback.

I’m all but sold on an A35 AMG, just don’t want the 12 week build time, although it would still be here two months (at least!) before the Cupra ST

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Yes of course it’s why I said what I did.

It wasn't clear from your phraseology, and in the age of the internet when people brag of doing 7.20 on the Nordscheife, then you discover it was a video game, it always pays to check.
So, it's just different opinions then, and opinions are like a**eholes, every one has one. But if I lived where long distance travel is on multilanes, I'd be very tempted by the Ateca.

Reactions: Kibby

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
It wasn't clear from your phraseology, and in the age of the internet when people brag of doing 7.20 on the Nordscheife, then you discover it was a video game, it always pays to check.
So, it's just different opinions then, and opinions are like a**eholes, every one has one. But if I lived where long distance travel is on multilanes, I'd be very tempted by the Ateca.

"phraseology"

Havent seen anyone use this on the internet. My new word for the week

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise