Built in satnav?

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
I'm finding my built in satnav on my 2016 Leon all but easy/user friendly to use. I'm coming from using Android auto via my usb on my previous car, prior to that Garmin. Found both these systems easy to use and cancel, once finished. Anyone else found this? Do I need to give it more time for myself to adjust to the usability side of it.
Thinking about just going back to using my smartphone with Google maps again, via Android auto, but view it through my smartphones screen, not the head unit.
I just like plug and play systems. I don't use my satnav a lot, maybe this it what the issue maybe too.
Cheers.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Cancel is a piece of cake. you use the scroll on the wheel when looking at the turn by turn on the MFD

Reactions: Boroboy

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
Cancel is a piece of cake. you use the scroll on the wheel when looking at the turn by turn on the MFD
I'm a bit slow with new tech. I'll try that, have a bit of a mess around with it. Think I'm getting there, slowly....lol.
Cheers.

Last edited:

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Then the seat voice says 'did you mean call Gavin?' In my experience - that system is only useful for the hilarity of how wrong it gets everything.

The satnav is quiet clunky to use but it's main issue is the really cheap maps they've used, where it directs you to leave at a junction only to rejoin again, or turn right down a grassy bridleway (over the stile).

Android Auto voice control and maps, through the head unit, is my recommendation - it still has some issues but many less than Seat's attempt.

Theporter

Nov 4, 2018
I love when I say to it navigate to Wigan and it says back in a northern accent navigate to wigun genius

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
Android Auto voice control and maps, through the head unit, is my recommendation - it still has some issues but many less than Seat's attempt.
I used Android Auto through my previous cars head unit, liked that function. Didn't think you could do the same with my current Leon?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
It works fine on my 2018 FR, I believe the full link on pre-face lift includes android auto - just plug your phone in and see what happens?

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
It works fine on my 2018 FR, I believe the full link on pre-face lift includes android auto - just plug your phone in and see what happens?
Yes nothing, don't think I have the full link on my 2016 pre face lift. Although I prefer this car, to my previous one without all the extra tec. Android Auto is good to have via the settings screen. I'm happy not to have the auto braking system on the face lift models though, which I presume you need to switch off during every ignition cycle? If you don't want it on, same with S/S which I like & use.
Having had experience of an auto braking system braking when a crash wasn't imminent with another manufacturer, kept that switched off. Hopefully the Seat/VW system would be more reliable.
Think I'll persevere with the cars satnav, if not I'll just use my phone or a garmin/maps for life I already have. I've used it a couple of times now, only had the car for around a month. Maps seem OK, considering my cars 3 years old now.
Cheers for info.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I've not had any problem with front assist, it's only ever braked just the once - when white van man decided to pull out anyway and I was already stamping on the brake. It's given just the red caution icon and alarm several times, a few of these when seeing the outside of sharp corners on A roads, but it's never braked incorrectly.

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
I've not had any problem with front assist, it's only ever braked just the once - when white van man decided to pull out anyway and I was already stamping on the brake. It's given just the red caution icon and alarm several times, a few of these when seeing the outside of sharp corners on A roads, but it's never braked incorrectly.
That's good news then, as the systems become older, they should become more reliable. My light used to go off everything I passed a parked car or even going around corners, at times for no reason at all. Was an Astra K mind. Not something I now miss, changing to a Leon.
Not even used my led headlights yet, something I'm looking forward too. Compared to halogens I previously had, even when I upgraded them with Osrams.
I think most cars will have these auto braking systems from 2017 on, whether we like it or not. At least we still have the option to turn them off.

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
Mine is slow when I am searching and the middle option is always the best option for the route for some reason. Not sure on it either

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
I find it almost unuseable - it always uses the compass reference to orientate the car so instead of forward being up on the screen it could be down if going south etc. It also seems to tell you to turn either very late or after you've passed the road in question!

I wish I had the full link for phone mirroring to use google maps but I'm not paying £200 for it from the stealer. Does anyone know if anywhere does it cheaper, preferably in the south west?

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
As said above its a setting on the side of the screen. Mine is always positioned at the bottom. Sometimes it can zoom out a little far but.

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
Thanks. I still wish I had carplay, but I can't justify £200 for the full link. Sigh.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.