Liking it but not loving it

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Im currently driving a 2017 Passat Alltrack 190hp diesel and my R ST cant come soon enough :D I went for the Cupra just for the looks and value.

Golf R is +€10k more than a Cupra with the same equipment and is at the same price level as A35. Mercedes dealer didnt go down anything in price so walked away asap

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
Im currently driving a 2017 Passat Alltrack 190hp diesel and my R ST cant come soon enough :D I went for the Cupra just for the looks and value.

Golf R is +€10k more than a Cupra with the same equipment and is at the same price level as A35. Mercedes dealer didnt go down anything in price so walked away asap
I had to same problem with my Merc dealer, and yeah the golf is soooooo overpriced.

That being said I did have a long drive the other day, and I did think that it's a very comfortable car - so for that at least, I'm glad.

Reactions: KernelOkey

MifSal

Feb 7, 2019
get a res delete done guys i had mine done today from zaustworx completely changed the way the car sounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
So my thinking was, okay no problem - it'll just be exactly like that just with some cheaper plastics and a no-name brand. I mean it's damn good value for the price here in Sweden - or at least I got it for a good deal. But it's not the same, and I am super jealous of people who sprung for a Mk7.5 Golf R SW (Estate).

SEAT is less than no name down here, all but a few petrolheads think it's a Suzuki. But I bought on the basis it's a VA Group brand, and the importers did wonders with the Skoda brand. It was worse than a joke for years (pre VAG), but they turned it into a desirable option.
They're relying on social media and word of mouth promotion only and are selling well. 5 into Nelson, which has a small population and the nearest dealer is 450 km's away, that's amazing for conservative kiwis. They sold out of Aronas very quickly, and the Cupra Ateca is being released next week. If that isn't a big seller in this SUV obsessed market I'll eat my sombrero.
A Golf R wasn't even considered, not at nearly $20k more with less kit.

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
SEAT is less than no name down here, all but a few petrolheads think it's a Suzuki. But I bought on the basis it's a VA Group brand, and the importers did wonders with the Skoda brand. It was worse than a joke for years (pre VAG), but they turned it into a desirable option.
They're relying on social media and word of mouth promotion only and are selling well. 5 into Nelson, which has a small population and the nearest dealer is 450 km's away, that's amazing for conservative kiwis. They sold out of Aronas very quickly, and the Cupra Ateca is being released next week. If that isn't a big seller in this SUV obsessed market I'll eat my sombrero.
A Golf R wasn't even considered, not at nearly $20k more with less kit.

Shame it's not in Australia! Otherwise I might've had one when I living there!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Poor old Aussies. No SEAT's, they get a detuned Golf R, I think the Type R is too, and the rest are the usual suspects i30N, Astra, Focus.
And the best thing is that SEAT's are not sold in Japan. so we won't get our values undermined by crap grey imports coming here.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
I used to get a hard time on here because I never really gelled with my early 2014 Cupra 280. I guess a one make forum is never the place to criticise that make but I never thought it was any good and eventually sloped off from here thinking I was sounding like a broken record. Truth is, sometimes you get a car that you regret and you either have to live with it or cut your losses and get shot.

I did the latter, but not in the way I was hoping to, mine died under a lorry!

r3d

Nov 21, 2018
I am starting to connect with the car now, after 1500miles. Now I kind of feel whats going on with the car, but it still surprises me sometimes. The confusing part is that sometimes the lsd kicks in and pulls the car out and sometimes not. I am speaking od driving in the town, for example yesterday I powered my way through the junction turning right and had loads of understeer while I was expecting the car to grip tighter. I was in sport mode. Also I dont get the tire behaviour at all. Sometimes I get catastrophic loss of grip when I push the throttle and sometimes it accelerates without problem. Could be the road temperature, in fact they seem to grip better with medium road temperature - like 20 degrees celsius than on hot asphalt. Maybe its only in my head, but I am usually very accurate when describing how the car feels.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
I only ever had the diff tighten the line of the car once and could never replicate it, despite driving the same way home from work every morning and trying each time.

r3d

Nov 21, 2018
It does wonders over 100kmh (60mph or so) while cornering, I changed my driving style a lot to adapt. In fact now I drive it like a racing bike, get into the corner at decent speed and accelarate in the corner as much as road allows me. I dont know if thats the proper way, but the front seems unstable if I am not on hard on the throttle. Its like the car lowers 2-3mm and bites the road

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
You need to push this car to get it.

It's sold as a family wagon with some speed in it.
It's basically an affordable race car that is dressed in a tux.
Turn off all the unnecessary ****.
Turn on the good stuff.
Throw out the **** stock exhaust.
Change the gearbox mounts
Style the car if you like the way it looks and get one with bucket seats.
AND then you drive it like you stole it.

The LSD works perfectly when you turn the steering wheel about 45 degrees into corners and then flooring it out of corners.
ESC OFF or in SPORTS of course. Car in CUPRA mode.
I took a highway ramp 30 or so degree road and you just keep flooring it the whole way the car is on effing RAILS on that turn man.

The car is foremost a family hauler and can't be a wild animal because then they won't sell as many.
You need to unleash the animal within this car and then you will get it.

I test drove an Ateca Cupra and it really takes a punishment to wake the **** up, even more so than the Leon Cupra.

Get a tune if you really want some crazy ****.

This TSI 2.0 engine and DSG gear box is the best **** out of Germany in many years.

ChrisJKM

Aug 21, 2018
North Yorkshire
I've recently started working away and had my first 2 week trip away. Came home after two hire cars for work? a Vauxhall Mokka 1.6 diesel and a 1 litre Honda Civic. I got in the cupra and smiled instantly when I put my foot down. 2 weeks off works wonders lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.