Cupra 290 '66' Decat videos/opinions

FINCH

Being Nosey
Mar 15, 2010
Aberdeen
Hello,

Has anyone got / done a decat on their leon but kept the standard cat back?

if so any videos?

if not why not?

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
I wouldn’t ever remove the cat, because besides from doing so is illegal, ethically, I don’t really get the point of making the car more polluting when there will be hardly any benefit to the driver.

“Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.”

If you’re after more noise, just remove the resonator(s), or get a different back box.

FINCH

Being Nosey
Mar 15, 2010
Aberdeen
Thank you for the lesson and for patronising me. I understand the law. If this is the case I don’t understand why so many companies would sell decaf pipes to use them for “race use”. I intend on using the car for track use :)

Maybe I should repeat the question.

Does anyone have a Leon 5F Cupra track car with a decat and a standard cat back

Reactions: Jay Caulfield

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I wouldn’t ever remove the cat, because besides from doing so is illegal, ethically, I don’t really get the point of making the car more polluting when there will be hardly any benefit to the driver.

“Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.”

If you’re after more noise, just remove the resonator(s), or get a different back box.

Hardly any benefit to the driver? The less restrictive the more power you can extract that's the benefit. I ran 200 cel sports cats on my Leon's instead of the 800 cel stock downpipes.

Majority of the noise is also gained by downpipe.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Hardly any benefit to the driver? The less restrictive the more power you can extract that's the benefit. I ran 200 cel sports cats on my Leon's instead of the 800 cel stock downpipes.

Majority of the noise is also gained by downpipe.

I meant in terms of performance. Modern cats are pretty free-flowing. If I were looking to extract that last bit of performance I would too get a sport cat instead of removing it completely, then it's still road legal.

FINCH

Being Nosey
Mar 15, 2010
Aberdeen
Thanks for the replies guys.

I basically wanted to know what it would sound like. With everything else in place stage 2 remap etc as all you can find on YouTube is decats/sports cats with full systems. My friend has a M135i, first did silencer Delete and decat. Put the silencer back on with the decat and sounded great. This is reason behind my question.

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
Rules will always be broken when it comes to modifying cars and getting more power, that's part of the fun, not that I condone breaking the law but we don't need to be quoted it when someone says something, we are all adults and know right from wrong :whistle:
Cats and DPF will always be restrictive due to construction of them, a DPF can lose 20 to 30 BHP, with EURO 6 and the newest EURO 7 the latter is really strangling performance.

Finch if you remove the Cat then as motty225 said itll need a map and noise etc is personal preference

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
Totally agree,

I just wondered if anyone had done it and had a video
I do not have a video but catless 3 inch down pipe w all stock cat back made great sound. That is how I was riding on stage 2.
Then with res delete it was great too.
Res del gave lots of external sound
Below 2 vids I have, one with scorpion turboback, the other with res del + 3 inch dp

Last edited:

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
Both sound very good, id be happy with either of them
Indeed. I wrote already multiple times that res del for 100 pounds i good enough if you compare the sound experience with 800 pounds scorpion.was also good enough up to 420hp on my stage 2.

I went stage 3 and had to make it 3 inch end to end hence took the scorpion.
Now it sounds insane really. I am am crazy happy about it and scorpion is one of my best mod on this car.
I think magic comes from missing back box.
Cobra does not sound half that good.

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
I was looking at the Scorpion cat back because I done the Res Delete and it wasn't great, with having the Cupra ST the boxes are at the tailpipes which I didn't realise at the time, when I bought the car I just bought the delete pipe so it was here when I got the car, that will teach me to jump straight in, how insane is the Scorpion?

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
I get thumbs from everyone below 20 when I fly by :)
This is how cool it is :)
I have ignition cut out programmed when it looses traction, I have pops and bangs so when you warm it up it really gets crazy.
Build quality is awesome. I have it now for 10k km and there are no tear marks from the salt or anything
A+ quality. Welds are also perfectly laid.
Note mine is reasonated so the quieter version, I have a pipe to remove scorpion resonatedlr but my neighbours already do not like me so I think I will skip it.

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
That's what im looking for, I was going to get the non resonated one so may have to reconsider if yours is loud enough resonated.

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
That's what im looking for, I was going to get the non resonated one so may have to reconsider if yours is loud enough resonated.
I took resonated because with res del and stock back box car was droning at highway speeds and I was afraid of that.
After roughly 1k km it got it target sound.
There is zero drone also. I like it loud but for me now is enough. Already people notice how loud it is....
Worst case you can install the straight pipe where resonator is in case you find it too civilized :)

Didster

Limiter bash gets the gash
Aug 1, 2011
Kent
In the second video do you have a 3" Decat downpipe and then just middle res delete?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.