Where am I heading with "Last Chance Really"

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
So I thought I would use this to remind myself of what has been done thus far, what needs to be done and what is to come.
I'll try and put dates for reference
2012 - All 4 shocks replaced, both rear springs and front wheel bearings
2012 - Water pump & cambelt replaced, gearbox oil changed, sump removed to retrieve bits of dip stick tube, new dip stick tube
2012 - Partial N249 delete, some hoses replaced with silicon ones , cold side side dv kit fitted
2014- 2018 - Not under my ownership.
2018 - Full N249 delete, Bailey dv fitted, cambelt and water pump replaced
2018 - Cone filter , tip and heat shield fitted
2019 - All 4 brake disks replaced with MTEC J groove and EBC Green stuff pads, both rear calipers replaced, front calipers rebuilt

Parts I have but not yet fitted
2019 - FMIC, rear anti roll bar , various polybushe's (must check to see what I do have)

Parts to buy/investigate
2019 - Oil cooler, braided brake lines, dog bone, exhaust

Would also like to tidy up the body as its a bit battered.....actually both mine and the car !!

2019 - Both front and rear strut bars fitted

Bigford11

Jan 19, 2019
London
If you are going stage 2 you will need rods, turbo back, fmic, fpr upgrade but I would sort the handling out first, I've seen many a better handling car out perform a high horse power poor handling one.

I dont race (used to, once upon a time "sigh")but intend to try and fit a couple of track days in at some point.

Brilliant thanks, what would you advise for the steering side of things?
Probably a silly question but what does fpr (I cant figure out the abbreviation haha)

Where would you do your track days? im hoping to get out next month at Snetterton.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
FPR/fpr = Fuel Pressure Regulator

Steering wise the LCR already has a quick rack but I would look at going fully rose jointed for adjustability (this would have to be fabricated - I'm not sure that there are any kits out there for this).

Love Snett done a fair few bike days there, but its Brands Hatch for me as its only down the road....well okay over the bridge and down the road.

Bigford11

Jan 19, 2019
London
FPR/fpr = Fuel Pressure Regulator

Steering wise the LCR already has a quick rack but I would look at going fully rose jointed for adjustability (this would have to be fabricated - I'm not sure that there are any kits out there for this).

Love Snett done a fair few bike days there, but its Brands Hatch for me as its only down the road....well okay over the bridge and down the road.
Ok cool thanks,

Yea brands hatch is on 45 mins from me, just thinking snetterton is much more quite and might be a better idea for my first time out on a track

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Problem with Snett (and this is just my opinion) its a huge circuit and has some very very fast parts to it which may not be too ideal for a beginner. Where as Brands being smaller and tighter you cannot get up to huge speeds and is more of a technical circuit so teaches more about technique and learning your cars capabilities.

Any track day organiser worth a damn will run two or three classes (although it does require you to be honest about your abilities) Novice, Intermediate and Advanced.

For example I'm the advanced group (fast) for bikes but very much still novice for cars.

Deleted member 103408

I did a novice day at cadwell park you got 20 minutes on for each hour. you can also get a teacher for 20 minutes which is very helpful.

i also like bedford good track and later in the afternoon it can be empty. I also found snetterton very hard on tyres.

Bigford11

Jan 19, 2019
London
Ahhh ok, thats really good to know thanks, i may have to reconsider my choice then.

Would you say Brands is the best for someone who has never done any track driving?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Wicked, ill give that a watch later after work.

Any advise on Disc's and pads. good brands to go for etc

Hi
Not wanting to highjack this post but thought I’d reply as just had brake issues on track. . There are decent bits of kit out there, budget may play a part though.
Also your driving.
If braking late and hard you’re going to have heat. Lots of heat.
The pads need to deal with this and some of us have found out recently that the “go to “ pad Ferodo DS2500
Can produce pad pickup, giving juddering under braking.

Upgrading to the DS3000 is what many do.
Tarrox, Carbotech and Pagid RST also do racing pads for the Brembo calipers.
Problem is some of these aren’t classed as road legal as they don’t have enoug bite at ambient temperatures.
Carbotech state ok to and from track but squeak and are dusty. If daily would be a nightmare.
Discs look again at the likes of Tarrox, Vagbremtechnic, Black Diamond ( if you’re cash flush).
Lastly we created a thread on here which is track day banter and info. Worth a look.
Think it’s called Attending a trackday.
Someone more clever than me might do you a link?
Please someone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
I would vote for brands for a first track day. When I done my ards licence. I had never done a track day. I had done banger racing for about 15 tears then a few other oval classes. So my first time on a circuit was doing my licence at brands.
It's a very good track fast and slow corners up and down hills but good thing is you can see what's coming up.
As for speed no it's not the quickest track but with a decent car you can do a 1 min lap with a bit of trying. You would need basic set up to get that but it's all a massive learning curve..
Every thing I have learnt in my Saxo now goes out the window nearly. I think my best lap was a 55.8 with an 8v 1.6 Saxon lol.
29474263080_e6f9816cc5_b.jpg

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Any advise on Disc's and pads. good brands to go for etc[/QUOTE]

I use mtec "c"hook with ferodo 2500 pads in the front and just plane disks and Halfords pads in the rest. But the Saxo is running brake bias valve.
Just use what's in the car for now if you kill them then use ferodo pads but if you go to far up the race spec they start to become hard to use on the road as most if not all proper race spec pads need to be hot to work. They kill disks and squeal like a bitch too but it's for racing not comfort

Bigford11

Jan 19, 2019
London
If your planning a track day at brands I'll dig the Saxo out I need to blow the cob webs off it for when it goes up for sale

Im heading down to Cadwell Park on the 10th of May for the first time (Novice day haha)

But no doubt the next time i get out it will be Brands, ill defiantly let you know, would be good to meet up with some people on here, get to know some everyone :)

Bigford11

Jan 19, 2019
London
See someone with “know how“ to the rescue.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Haha always good when someone come to the rescue lol

Does anyone go to any meet or anything? I'm in the East London/Essex area

Bigford11

Jan 19, 2019
London
Haha fair enough, i like the idea as you can meet up with people and get different ideas and peoples perspective of stuff (car related haha)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise