Steering wheel change

Jamesb

Mar 26, 2017
Leon FR 2015 plate
Looking to replace steering wheel (photo 1) with the later 2018 model - softer leather and more thickness. (Photo 2)
However have noticed the 2018
Photo has slightly different call/voice buttons.
Will this still work with coding done or will it be incompatable?
Thanks.
e40b96a7746333119ebc95f07863b537.jpg
1e3f1f8263e9d0dc8b65aafe136fe46b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I thought you’d be able to swap the controls over. I felt no difference between a 2015 wheel and 2018 wheel, although for me both were Cupra wheels.

Surely though it would be cheaper to get yours recovered and they can thicken it up for you as part of that.

Reactions: Jamesb

Jamesb

Mar 26, 2017
Thanks good idea i will ask garage if they can swap controls over!
Potentially could get re-covered but couldnt guarantee quality. I want it to be OEM really.
Getting the styling kit fitted next week so think the upgraded wheel will be a nice touch.

slartibartfast

Jan 25, 2015
Worcestershire
Just swap the controls/wiring over, (they just pop out), I did a similar thing going from an SE steering wheel to an FR one, dead easy to do, and makes a massive difference to how the car feels.

Jamesb

Mar 26, 2017
Just swap the controls/wiring over, (they just pop out), I did a similar thing going from an SE steering wheel to an FR one, dead easy to do, and makes a massive difference to how the car feels.
Thanks good to know it's been done before! The wheel came today, looks and feels much better.
I noticed the controls are in seperate modules left and right - These should just slide out with a bit of force then?
Did you have to change the coding when you swapped over?

slartibartfast

Jan 25, 2015
Worcestershire
Thanks good to know it's been done before! The wheel came today, looks and feels much better.
I noticed the controls are in seperate modules left and right - These should just slide out with a bit of force then?
Did you have to change the coding when you swapped over?

Yes the modules come out easily, and the attached wiring unclips easily as well. As I used all the old modules and wiring from my previous steering wheel, no coding was required.

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
When my Cupra was delivered it had no badge on the steering wheel. SEAT CS and the dealer told me they'd have to order a new steering wheel and that it'd take a day to swap them over. It ghasted my flabber!
Is it not possible to change just the gloss black plastic part that has the flag. I must admit that on mine its not there due to the later cupras not having it but i miss this little flag detail.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Thanks good idea i will ask garage if they can swap controls over!
Potentially could get re-covered but couldnt guarantee quality. I want it to be OEM really.
Getting the styling kit fitted next week so think the upgraded wheel will be a nice touch.

Get it done by Royal Steering wheels.
All the ones I've had done by him have been superior to OEM quality.

Reactions: Allan and Jamie-g

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Is it not possible to change just the gloss black plastic part that has the flag. I must admit that on mine its not there due to the later cupras not having it but i miss this little flag detail.

More than that, I was hoping it would just be the application of the flag decal, but no, it needed the whole steering wheel changed apparently. I asked them to just send me the sticker in the post!

Jamesb

Mar 26, 2017
This!! Their steering wheels are great. Top class job.
They do look quality, well i have a spare steering wheel now, so may look into it if not happy with the new one!
Thanks for the headsup

Reactions: Jamie-g
Sep 7, 2019
Hi,all leon have the same steering wheel airbag?i have a standard steering wheel 2016 and i found 2019 fr one,will it fit ?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise