ACC

Bucksssss

Mar 13, 2019
Picked up my Leon Cupra 290 Lux last week and used the ACC for the first time today. What a lovely piece of kit. First week of having the Cupra and it’s an absolute dream
ACC in a DSG is the best thing ever invented. I’ve got it on my GTD and life just couldn’t be any easier.

Reactions: RSA

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
Used it a few times now on a company vehicle and everytime I get so annoyed of people pulling into the gap in front on the motorway that I hate it.

Also a couple of times when in the fast lane in a right hand bend i think it picked up the car in the middle lane and slowed the car down. Very annoying.

Everyone seems to love it though, maybe I'm just too stuck in my ways with standard cruise control ! Haha

Reactions: Compo1

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
ACC Is bloody amazing!! Not sure I could get another car without it. Takes the stress out of long motorway journeys in traffic that isnt at a constant speed. Anyone tried it with lane assist on predictive? I find that useful shame it warns you to take back control of the wheel after a few bounces of the lines. Been looking into enabling predictive ACC, thats a game changer. Uses sat nav to adjust speed for corners along with traffic conditions, the VW arteon has it.

KeepRight

May 13, 2019
ACC Is bloody amazing!! Not sure I could get another car without it. Takes the stress out of long motorway journeys in traffic that isnt at a constant speed. Anyone tried it with lane assist on predictive? I find that useful shame it warns you to take back control of the wheel after a few bounces of the lines. Been looking into enabling predictive ACC, thats a game changer. Uses sat nav to adjust speed for corners along with traffic conditions, the VW arteon has it.
Some say that you can jam a small half filled bottle of water in the steering wheel. The motion of the water moving within the bottle makes the car think that you have hold of the wheel indefinitely.

I do not condone this

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Used it a few times now on a company vehicle and everytime I get so annoyed of people pulling into the gap in front on the motorway that I hate it.

Also a couple of times when in the fast lane in a right hand bend i think it picked up the car in the middle lane and slowed the car down. Very annoying.

Everyone seems to love it though, maybe I'm just too stuck in my ways with standard cruise control ! Haha

Ive the same thoughts mate, felt it was slightly dangerous at times.

Reactions: Sword

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I've noticed that ACC is a bit dumb when a car ahead slows for a left turn and you try to go around him. Even though the way ahead is clear ACC is seeing the left turning car and brakes. Like wise a couple of times on multilane roads.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Exactly my thoughts, you're the first person I've ever known to have the same opinion

Also remember a time when traveling behind a landrover with a trailer dual carriageway it was at a very safe distance, it indicated to turn into a petrol station i started to brake gently and pulled out into the second lane there was no drama at all no danger. As the landrover turned in the trailer came out into the second lane just a little again with the distance i had no drama of danger. To my surprise the crash control kicked in abs activated the lot the car behind me nearly ran up the back of me. **** myself in a situation that was well under control by myself. Needless to so ive turned down or off all the driving aids i can.

Reactions: Sword and Legojon

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
On the whole I like it, it does have its quirks though

Few times when on motorway , in lane 1 when the car in front goes off onto a slip road, ACC slows down quite a a lot.

Also don’t like it when cars move in to the gap that ACC keeps between the front car, this is very annoying.

It’s also a good reminder of the distance you should keep as well, on the shortest setting it looks like the gap is the same as 2 chevrons.

What absolutely astonishes me is, when stop start activates, the sensor somehow knows when the second car upfront is about to set off and car auto starts ready to go.

It’s no autopilot though guys, just an aid, keep on top of it (don’t switch your brain off) and you will be fine

Reactions: Sword and Legojon

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
Be careful with ACC - a cautionary tale here.

I had this on my mk7 Golf and some thieving scrote stole the sensor out of the front grille (there is no nod to security from VW here, 2 bolts and its plug and play). This is a common occurrence if you search online as thieves know they can sell the units on for hundreds of pounds. They all have individual part codes (same part number, but A-M I think they're up to, the code on the end). so finding the one your car needs is difficult. We couldn't find the 'J' we needed. To replace the unit cost £1273 from VW and the work to calibrate it (its proprietary technology) was £400. Ouch.

Unfortunately, the problem didn't end there. When it was stolen it caused numerous other faults with the start stop, traction control, tyre pressures, auto emergency braking randomly for no reason etc etc. This stopped the car from even starting twice and annoyingly I could switch the ignition on and turn the faults off that caused the problem, but couldn't start the engine without turning the ignition back off first and the faults would re-appear!

VWs first attempt to rectify this failed. This week the new owner (I sold it with full disclosure and the VW receipt for the works) has finally been told it SHOULD be sorted after its 4th trip to the stealers. Apparently the system is so interlinked that one fault causes the entire system to go haywire so it starts looking for faults it 'thinks' should be there even if they aren't, hence the random fault codes.

Anyway, when it works its awesome but be careful if anything goes wrong and watch out for sensor theft!

The newer Golfs have the sensor behind the VW badge to try and stop thefts but its still common to have the grille ripped out when you look online. I don't know whether the new Leons have this feature yet or if it will be a mk4 thing.

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
Be careful with ACC - a cautionary tale here.

I had this on my mk7 Golf and some thieving scrote stole the sensor out of the front grille (there is no nod to security from VW here, 2 bolts and its plug and play). This is a common occurrence if you search online as thieves know they can sell the units on for hundreds of pounds. They all have individual part codes (same part number, but A-M I think they're up to, the code on the end). so finding the one your car needs is difficult. We couldn't find the 'J' we needed. To replace the unit cost £1273 from VW and the work to calibrate it (its proprietary technology) was £400. Ouch.

Unfortunately, the problem didn't end there. When it was stolen it caused numerous other faults with the start stop, traction control, tyre pressures, auto emergency braking randomly for no reason etc etc. This stopped the car from even starting twice and annoyingly I could switch the ignition on and turn the faults off that caused the problem, but couldn't start the engine without turning the ignition back off first and the faults would re-appear!

VWs first attempt to rectify this failed. This week the new owner (I sold it with full disclosure and the VW receipt for the works) has finally been told it SHOULD be sorted after its 4th trip to the stealers. Apparently the system is so interlinked that one fault causes the entire system to go haywire so it starts looking for faults it 'thinks' should be there even if they aren't, hence the random fault codes.

Anyway, when it works its awesome but be careful if anything goes wrong and watch out for sensor theft!

The newer Golfs have the sensor behind the VW badge to try and stop thefts but its still common to have the grille ripped out when you look online. I don't know whether the new Leons have this feature yet or if it will be a mk4 thing.

Very good advice here, never thought that it is such an easy thing to steal of a vehicle!
On the mandatory work to set up the systems I'm afraid any camera, sensor needs to be recalibrate and costs a pretty penny.

I know all too well about VAG cars how many repairs require the tracking, alignment, cameras etc to be set up after the fault is fixed, not a an issue when under warranty but certainly shoots the price up when doing repairs out of warranty.

As said above is proprietary tech and you will struggle to have these set up elsewhere.

Reactions: Oddmanout

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
If you want your car to drive for you hire a chauffeur, otherwise pay attention and drive the car the way your suppose to!

We are just breeding a bunch of people who won't be able to drive correctly and will rely on these driver aids to get from A to B. And thus invite certain drivers to pay less attention and be distracted.

And before the younger generation start saying you don't know what ya on about, I've been driving 23yrs and from the day i passed my test I've driven and had performance cars throughout my life!
Done more motorway driving than most and never ever felt i needed more than cruise control and even then switch it off every 20-30 minute of use so as to not get too complacent.

I'd love to see the insurance form or pay out when you say the car braked for me and caused an accident!

Twice now the anti-crash on my Carbon has kicked in prematurely and nearly caused me to have an accident and both going down country lanes in the lake district!

First 2 things i do when i get in switch off stop start and disable the anti-crash/esc

Last edited:

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
If you want your car to drive for you hire a chauffeur, otherwise pay attention and drive the car the way your suppose to!

We are just breeding a bunch of people who won't be able to drive correctly and will rely on these driver aids to get from A to B

I'd love to see the insurance form or pay out when you say the car braked for me and caused an accident!

Twice now the anti-crash on my Carbon has kicked in prematurely and nearly caused me to have an accident and both going down country lanes in the lake district!

First 2 things i do when i get in switch off stop start and disable the anti-crash/esc

Mine emergency stopped from 70 to 0 on a dual carriageway during rushhour for no reason whatsoever. Luckily the cars behind managed to avoid me. There was rubber all down the road and everything. Was pretty scary!

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I had it on my previous 335i and thought it was alright. Good for use in traffic but on a normal A road or motorway it wasn't great.

However I had it on a Passat a few weeks back and was using it in stop/start traffic. That made it much much easier

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
I've used normal cruise for years,even retro fitted it to two cars in the past,so happy to keep using it with me still in control at all times.

I have tried ACC and can see certain advantages to it.

However I saw a remark on a forum that set off alarm bells.
It was something like;
"ACC is great,it's saved my bacon a couple of times."

So you were not paying attention and it stopped you ploughing into the car in front?
Hmm....

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.