inner tie / track rod end replacement - help please!

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
Hi guys,

Big problem but in short could someone please advise on this:
Does anyone know if its a case of just using a 30/32mm spanner to 'unscrew' it from the rack or do I need a special tool? (its for a non-cupra mk1 Leon)

Many thanks!

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Just done this job (inner tie rods) on mine, both sides as I like to replace anything like this in pairs.
Reading up on it before hand I thought I might need one of these
You cant get a socket on the inner joint as the tie rod is in the way and it isnt a hexagon so even if you cut the old rod off to allow you to the socket wont fit.
I used a pair of stilsons, with the rack on full lock to make the end you are removing more accesible, you can get them on at a bit of an angle and they wernt overly tight to get off. £60 saved, though they are on ebay for £40 ish.
Took me around 1/2 hour per side.

Last edited:

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
Reading up on it before hand I thought I might need one of these
You cant get a socket on the inner joint as the tie rod is in the way and it isnt a hexagon so even if you cut the old rod off to allow you to the socket wont fit.
I used a pair of stilsons, with the rack on full lock to make the end you are removing more accesible, you can get them on at a bit of an angle and they wernt overly tight to get off. £60 saved, though they are on ebay for £40 ish.
Took me around 1/2 hour per side.

Thank you for your reply.

Are you saying that you didn't buy this tool and just used stillsons to remove the rods?

I was planning to do it this way and just to cut the rod too (to make it more accessible)
so to clarify doing it this way without the special tool is possible and will take around half an hour-ish?

cheers

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
You mentioned that it's not a hexagon, but does it have two flat sides on opposite sides? Would a large adjustable spanner work?

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Are you saying that you didn't buy this tool and just used stillsons to remove the rods?

so to clarify doing it this way without the special tool is possible and will take around half an hour-ish?

Yes & Yes :D

You mentioned that it's not a hexagon, but does it have two flat sides on opposite sides? Would a large adjustable spanner work?

Should do, stilsons grip better tho. I've just measured one of the old ones, its an octogan @ 34mm A/F.

Last edited:

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
still waiting for the track / tie rod to arrive

[bump] what do you think about getting the boot on?

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
I reused the existing boots as they were in good condition.
Didnt notice any breather holes on mine, and they slipped back on reasonably easily.
Used zip ties to resecure them.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one.

Going to be sorting my inner tie rod soon to get rid of the play in the steering (it's been an MoT advisory for a few years too) and just wanted to get a little advice.

From what I can see, it's just the one side that needs doing, but I'm finding a lot of people who say they do both at the same time. Any thoughts on this? Similarly, it's just the inner tie rod that has play - is it worth replacing the whole lot (inner and outer), or is the inner fine on its own?

Lastly, what kind of price should I be paying for the parts? Sites like ECP have got prices ranging from £18.99 for Starline to £31.99 for the Lemförder ones. Similarly, on eBay you can get a pair for £15. Are these a standard part, or will I see any benefits in paying twice the price?

Thanks for any help - much appreciated.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Firstly I'd drop a message in the forum sponsor section (Hortons and Listers) and get a price for OEM parts. If I was doing it and using OEM parts, I'd just do the one side. However, I've bought a few Lemforder parts and I'm pleased with the quality. However I found their parts were actually slightly different dimensions. So if I was using aftermarket parts, I'd do both sides to allow for a difference in part spec.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
£131.05... And I'm not entirely sure if that was for just the one side or both... That's the weird thing about my local dealer - sometimes they're the kind of cheap that makes me buy spares too, other times I'm wincing.

I'll probably get the Lemförder ones and do both sides, inner and outer. If I'm doing one, I may as well try getting the steering feeling like new while I have the opportunity.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
£131.05... And I'm not entirely sure if that was for just the one side or both... That's the weird thing about my local dealer - sometimes they're the kind of cheap that makes me buy spares too, other times I'm wincing.

I'll probably get the Lemförder ones and do both sides, inner and outer. If I'm doing one, I may as well try getting the steering feeling like new while I have the opportunity.

Yeah, that's really weird... I've seen differences in price before, but never that big. Don't forget you'll need a wheel alignment afterwards.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
I changed my inner/ outer rods last year due to them being seized when wanting the tracking doing. Ended up getting TRW ones off ebay. For the inner and outer I paid £50 each side. Sourced them by using oem part numbers. When they were fittted they were exactly the same as the ones from TPS/ SEAT, I checked them when fitting.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, that's really weird... I've seen differences in price before, but never that big. Don't forget you'll need a wheel alignment afterwards.

I was quite surprised, to be honest. It was probably for inner and outer for both sides, which makes it about £30 more than the more expensive factors. Looking at ECP right now, with a code I can get a set of the Lemförder ones (inner and outer) for £60, and as little as I drive the car these days, steering's one of those areas I don't want to scrimp on.

Have you changed them yourself? I have to get the tool for the inners as well, and there seem to be two types - a small one you fit a standard socket to, and a long tube-like thing. Any preferences?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I changed my inner/ outer rods last year due to them being seized when wanting the tracking doing. Ended up getting TRW ones off ebay. For the inner and outer I paid £50 each side. Sourced them by using oem part numbers. When they were fittted they were exactly the same as the ones from TPS/ SEAT, I checked them when fitting.

Looking around, it sounds like TRW and Lemförder are the same company now - or at least they're in the same group. As I'm going to do the whole lot, I shouldn't have to worry about having different manufacturers now - it'll all be Lemförder.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmm I've only done the inners. But I didn't use any special tools. Two spanners, a socket and a hammer.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Hmm I've only done the inners. But I didn't use any special tools. Two spanners, a socket and a hammer.

The hammer goes without saying... ;)

I'm going to get one of these from eBay - I've seen one recommended in another how-to guide, and it's smaller than the other types of tool, which look like a longish pipe. If I'm going to have a tool sat around that I'm not using, much better to have one that fits in my toolbox.

Out of interest, did you torque the inner rod? Obviously I don't want it coming loose, but I don't want to overtighten it either.