Lease servicing.

adamsupergeek

Dec 11, 2018
Hi All,

Should lease vehicles be set to long life servicing?

My first oil change is due in 11,100 miles.

Can this be changed by the dealer?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Depends on how much mileage you do, long life servicing is aimed at 20,000 miles folk, while if you do a lot less than that then (as I always have) you should be on annual servicing.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Hi All,

Should lease vehicles be set to long life servicing?

My first oil change is due in 11,100 miles.

Can this be changed by the dealer?

Even though set on “Long Life”, it monitors oil quality, so in reality the oil change and service time will become out of sync dependant on diving style/miles done :)

adamsupergeek

Dec 11, 2018
Even though set on “Long Life”, it monitors oil quality, so in reality the oil change and service time will become out of sync dependant on diving style/miles done :)
I only do about 30-40 miles a day.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I only do about 30-40 miles a day.

Not too sure on distance and oil change, just know the onboard computer monitors it!

I asked the same question with my GTD. Had a service done in August, by May next year was asking for an oil change..

This is excerpt from VW’s Long Life blurb;

The VW Long Life Service is so called because there are no fixed service intervals and depending on how you drive your VW, a service will be required anywhere between 10,000 miles or 1 year (whichever occurs first), up to a maximum of 20,000 miles or 2 years (whichever occurs first).

The VW Long Life Service has been made possible thanks to the development of new Volkswagen Audi Group engines using very high specification Long Life oil. These engines have built-in sensors to constantly monitor the oil quality, making it possible to enjoy longer service intervals.”

So seems to match up with oil change will depend on the monitor not the the serving interval :)

Reactions: adamsupergeek

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
I don't think there's a right or wrong as to what it should be set at (Longlife or Time/Distance). Two of mine (lease cars) have been set at Long Life on delivery and one on Time & Distance. You just need to make sure they are serviced as per the dash readout/manual and get a full receipt to show to the inspection guy/gal on returning the car.

Both my Longlife cars asked for an oil change at around 7000 miles (that's short 6 mile city centre commuting for you on oil quality !!).

You are allowed a bit of leeway on servicing I believe (about a month late on Time & Distance) and still remain in warranty, so if you are on a 2 year lease try and get away with just the first service if on lowish mileage by timing the first service a few weeks after the cars 1st year anniversary. My last car returned was 2 weeks off its second service and the dash warning was already displaying this every startup. The Inspector said that was fine, as long it was not overdue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brooster89

Jib

May 22, 2007
Doncaster, South Yorks
As already stated, its purely dependant on driving style and journey type. My commute is 3 miles each way and mine threw up the oil service notification at 7k.

A colleague also has a 300 but his commute is 40 miles per day. His is on long life.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
On the subject of servicing, would it be recommended to buy the SEAT offered one online for £325(ish) which is 2 services as per the stated intervals. (this would satisfy my Lease commitments)

From what i can tell, it will save me £150..?

I haven't checked indie prices, and haven't checked the wording in my lease docs if it says 'main dealer' anywhere.

Reactions: Brackett

adamsupergeek

Dec 11, 2018
My lease doesn't stipulate using a main dealer for servicing, so I may look into using an indy instead.

Brackett

May 12, 2019
On the subject of servicing, would it be recommended to buy the SEAT offered one online for £325(ish) which is 2 services as per the stated intervals. (this would satisfy my Lease commitments)
That looks reasonable value (for a main dealer anyway).

Is that offered on all ages of cars? I know they give cheaper offers for cars over 2 years etc.

Being lazy, do you have a link? :cheers:

Brackett

May 12, 2019
Thanks for the link.

Slightly confused (usually am).... It says minor service is for annual servicing and major service is for long life, so for your £414 on annual you only get 2 minors but if on long life you'd get 2 majors??!

No-one on annual would ever do it?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
No, on annual servicing you have to alternate each year with minor, major, minor etc.

The £414 gets you one minor and one major service, which you would only do for annual servicing.

On long life you only do major services, but once every two years, so £295 over the same period instead of £414.

sumogtr

Jul 24, 2018
Watford
Thus on a 2 year @ 8k per year deal, I should only need the 1 service which is likely to need doing around 15/16 months in?

adamsupergeek

Dec 11, 2018
Reading so much conflicting info on this topic. Is your lease with VWFS or a broker?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I leased the car through Car-Leasing Online, with finance provided by Arval.

I've went through the paperwork from Arval and it only states that the car should be serviced when required and doesn't stipulate the need to use a main dealer.

This is all my agreement says in regards to servicing:

'Ensure the Vehicle is serviced at the manufacturer's recommended service intervals, and any other occasions when faults arise and will at all times ensure that the tyre pressures, oil and coolant levels and anti-freeze levels or similar matters are maintained to the manufacturer's specifications;'

I'm still considering using Seat for servicing just to cover myself though!

Last edited:

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Same here. I don't trust the dealer or think they are worth what they charge, but possibly having to prove an independent service met the warranty criteria is a PITA.

Reactions: adamsupergeek
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.