New Tyre Time

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
So it's new tyre time...I've currently got Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 tyres all round, and I've previously used Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres on my previous Cupra 290. Has anyone looked at (or even used) any of the new Goodyear SuperSport tyres?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I was looking at the R, but @Damo H pointed out that it's the SuperSport I'd need as it's closest to the PS4S tyre. The R is closest to the Cup2 which I have now.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
The rating on the new asymmetric 5 is equivalent to the PS4s, but they were more expensive at the time so I got the PS4s which are nothing short of unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I've just pulled the trigger and orders 4 x PS4S which should be with me on Friday.

I had 4 legal but terrible tyres, two were like new.... I had a slow puncture which I took in to be repaired....

I left with 4 PS4s.

Reactions: Maypack

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I just put (about one month ago) 4 PS4S under...
Quite happy about them BUT I feel their wet performance leaves a bit to be desired, although more testing needed.
In the dry and in the turn in they are nothing short of amazing.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Mind you, there is a fairly big difference between the PS4 and the PS4S, with the PS4 being more road oriented and having better wet performance and the PS4S being a road tire that is also ok in a track.
Some reviewers have said the PS4S starts to behave better after it has been warmed up.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Well it depends on what you want from the tyre, if it's your daily drive then you want something with decent wet grip as it rains quite often and most people don't want to pile into the back of someone on the way home from work.
Michelin PS4 or maybe Bridgestone S007

If it's a weekend toy then look towards the trackday type tyres, Michelin Cup 2 (R), Yoko AD08R or even AR-1's.

Deleted member 103408

I had the PS4 on the front, then went PS4S all round, never personally had any issues in the wet and found it a good Road as well as Track Tyre.

I now have PS4S for road use and Cup 2 for the Track Wheels and very happy with that setup.

Reactions: Maypack and Jaco2k

Deleted member 103408

I am sure they are a very good tyre, but to be clear I think that comparison is against the PS4 not the PS4S and is in the 16 / 17" test but I suspect the OP has 19" wheels.

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
I am sure they are a very good tyre, but to be clear I think that comparison is against the PS4 not the PS4S and is in the 16 / 17" test but I suspect the OP has 19" wheels.

Yep, I did say “PS4 apostrophe s” as that’s what the test compared.

In any event PS4S aren’t available under 19s I believe?

Deleted member 103408

Sorry miss read that bit, yes i am pretty sure they only do 19" and above on the PS4S but thats what I am running (and cant go smaller)

Reactions: Oddmanout

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
There's a (Scandinavian?) review on Tyrereviews from an ST 290 driver comparing against some Pilot Super Sports. I interpreted the F1SSs as being close to the PS4Ss (plural and no apostrophe ;)), but that doesn't really help since they weren't what he changed to the F1SSs from. I was had the same dilemma but was seduced by a Michelin offer. Likewise for winter I went with the smaller Conti all seasons when I couldn't find any reviews on the 19" Bridgestones. It takes a brave driver (or a great offer) to risk something new when the benchmark is already high and without risk.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.