Cupra wins again (Not completely)

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
NZ Autocar mag just tested the WLTP spec Cupra against the Civic and new Megane. The Cupra slayed them to 100 km/h, 5.6 against 5.95 for the Civic and 6.25 on the Megane.
But despite both the Cupra and the Megane being better all round cars, the muppets chose the Civic as winner because they're a bunch of wanna be 16 years olds and they love faux spoilers and vents.
But we know which is the real winner, don't we?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
That's impressive. I remember reading before I got mine that the WLTP Cupra was now managing 0-62 in 6secs.

Then the Golf TCR was managing approx 5.4 with a similar set up.

Never driven the new Type R but all the reviews I've read say that the mechanical LSD is better than the Cupra's, making it more effective in the corners.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
NZ Autocar mag just tested the WLTP spec Cupra against the Civic and new Megane. The Cupra slayed them to 100 km/h, 5.6 against 5.95 for the Civic and 6.25 on the Megane.
But despite both the Cupra and the Megane being better all round cars, the muppets chose the Civic as winner because they're a bunch of wanna be 16 years olds and they love faux spoilers and vents.
Think I’m in the minority here when I say I love the look of the Civic.

Deathjam

Aug 24, 2015
Leeds-ish
the muppets chose the Civic as winner because they're a bunch of wanna be 16 years olds and they love faux spoilers and vents.

i thought the spoilers and vortex generators on the type r are actually functional and do generate downforce, i think its when you go above 50mph, however afaik the vents are fake

Deathjam

Aug 24, 2015
Leeds-ish
but yes type r is ugly, when i told my dad, (a long time honda owner, every car he's had has been a honda since 1992, he even had the accord type r back in the day, he is however 70+ now) i was getting a cupra, he tried to get me to get a type r instead

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
6 seconds for the WLTP car was always rubbish. Some manufacturers are just pessimistic. Seat was likely playing it very safe and chances are 6 seconds is in comfort mode.

FWD cars from 25 years ago with 200hp werent far off 6, even without trick diffs and traction control.

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
It's all about tyres and road quality. Had a couple of runs yesterday evening on empty highway and the best I could get was 6.5 for 0-60 according to Torque.

As you can guess the tarmac was rubbish. Massive wheel spins despite the fresh PZeros.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Torque is pretty rubbish for measuring acceleration I find. Never got a car within a second of its claimed time using it.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Can you get digital versions of the magazine? I'm interested in reading the article. Or is it solely available in New Zealand?

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Think I’m in the minority here when I say I love the look of the Civic.
As someone who has actually owned one,I suppose I quite liked the looks when I bought it,but it is rather too extrovert and probably better toned down a bit if there is ever a face lift.
I think I have said on here before why I sold it,treatment for a serious illness stopped me using it for several months and changed my attitude in that I became nervous that it might attract the wrong sort of attention and I wanted something more discreet.
BUT...
Don't ever think it is not a fantastic fwd manual gearbox car and if you want to compare it to a manual fwd Cupra there is only one winner...and it's not the SEAT.
However a Cupra 4drive dsg is a different sort of car and a better all rounder.

Reactions: Damo H

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
i thought the spoilers and vortex generators on the type r are actually functional and do generate downforce, i think its when you go above 50mph, however afaik the vents are fake
The rear spoiler flexes like rye grass in a hurricane, I don't know how much downforce that would provide.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
As someone who has actually owned one,I suppose I quite liked the looks when I bought it,but it is rather too extrovert and probably better toned down a bit if there is ever a face lift.
I think I have said on here before why I sold it,treatment for a serious illness stopped me using it for several months and changed my attitude in that I became nervous that it might attract the wrong sort of attention and I wanted something more discreet.
BUT...
Don't ever think it is not a fantastic fwd manual gearbox car and if you want to compare it to a manual fwd Cupra there is only one winner...and it's not the SEAT.
However a Cupra 4drive dsg is a different sort of car and a better all rounder.
You're probably right, but as a daily driver the FWD Cupra is streets ahead in usability and equipment, and any advantage the Civic has over the Cupra can't be used on public roads. Plus here in downunder, anything manual just sheds residual value, and becomes nearly sale proof.
I'm tempted to buy a Cupra Ateca just to go hunting Type R's at the lights.

Reactions: CovFC87

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
You're probably right, but as a daily driver the FWD Cupra is streets ahead in usability and equipment, and any advantage the Civic has over the Cupra can't be used on public roads. Plus here in downunder, anything manual just sheds residual value, and becomes nearly sale proof.
I'm tempted to buy a Cupra Ateca just to go hunting Type R's at the lights.

I don't know about NZ,I can only speak for the UK.
The GTmodel,which everybody goes for,has plenty of spec,check it out,and they have as much usability as you would want.
Better handling,better gear change,better engine.
It's only major faults are too extreme looks and physically a bit big for some B roads.
All the road testers are not wrong.
I'll assume you are not serious with your last sentence.

As I said,my Carbon ST is better for me because I wanted:
An estate
4wd
Auto

But the R is a fantastic driver's car,despite the look of it,and to dispute that fact is way off the mark.

Reactions: Damo H
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.