Attending a Trackday?

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Wow, you done well to buy a car so already sorted, you say Group N discs but then Pagid disc's? I'd recommend not going Pagid discs on the front, look at Tarox or Godspeed discs. I ran Pagid plain front discs with XP10's and braking was very good, then went Tarox F2000 and DS2500's and braking went up a level again.

You need to get a camera in your car, we will want to see some footage from this beast!

Last edited:

Nizza

May 17, 2019
Yeah so group N is what was on the advert for sale. I’ve not even had the wheels off yet but planned to put different disks on. Was recommended to use OE disks from Ian at Carbotech as all the work is in the pads, the ds2500 won’t cut the biscuit.

I’ll take donations for a go pro ha ha the KW’s were £1900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nizza

May 17, 2019
Also I started to trim some fat from the doors....

8e4f220c048b085ab53c8c86f7863415.jpg
8bcc4f6ba455c15e895e78c3947c533a.jpg

And trimmed the central locking too ha ha
a1660086d82b69e1e6c3fafef517c9dd.jpg

Need a small dreamer now to get into the smaller areas

Reactions: vwtrev

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Funny you say that I spoke to Carbotech years ago to discuss why his pads were £100 more than DS2500's and he said difference is night and day, in my honest opinion I can't say I found the XP10/Pagid discs combo as good as my current setup, but I was always on the side of plain is better for surface area contact patch, but I was never happy with my brakes, then the Forge discs were recommended by a highly modded Ibiza owner and are one of the best brake improvements i've made.

The DS2500 I had as spare pads, so went on with the new discs, so I don't have an exact like for like comparison. But before and after, after was better. I would say the XP10's lasted 3 years/ 3000 miles were as with the Tarox discs (grooved) the pads wear much quicker (softer pads).

I will probably try XP12's next as more intrigued than anything to see if they can make my braking even better. Considering the level your car is at, I wouldn't recommend the XP10's, you atleast want XP12's.

Nizza

May 17, 2019
Some useful experience there!

So I guess this is the perfect place to get peoples view on a front brake setup that works best for the Leon as I’ve not ordered them yet.

I’m going to keep the Brembos definitely for now so advice on disk / pad combo is welcome!!

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Ofcourse, these are only my experiences and others will have other brake setups on here they may recommend.

Based purely on what i've read in the past, XP12's / Pagid RS / Carbone Lorraine (same as CarboTech really) may meet your requirements + highly recommend Tarox F2000 discs.

Nizza

May 17, 2019
What wheel set up is everyone running on their track car. Ie offset,spacers etc? Currently got the standard 18” on and standard brembos.

Need to source some slicks for it but also need the wheels to put them on, does anyone know if you can get a slick tyre to fit standard rims.

Has standard brakes so can I run 17”s?? As I’ve seen some wheels and can get slicks for 17”s

Any help would be great

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
What wheel set up is everyone running on their track car. Ie offset,spacers etc? Currently got the standard 18” on and standard brembos.

Need to source some slicks for it but also need the wheels to put them on, does anyone know if you can get a slick tyre to fit standard rims.

Have a look here

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/motorsport/radial/18-radial-slick

Has standard brakes so can I run 17”s?? As I’ve seen some wheels and can get slicks for 17”s

Any help would be great

Reactions: Nizza

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
I run TD 1.2s, with Yoko AD08 18". Standard Brembo caliber but Ferodo DS 2500 pads with EBC grooved discs. Just upgraded to Brembo discs and feared DS 1.11 pads and first outing at Donny, last week if June. Need to get some cooling ducts though as warped the last ones

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
I've a spare set of standard Cupra R wheels with 225/40/18" R888R's on. Did toy with the idea of 245's but the price difference is massive. Also spacers, better for track width of car but I don't like the idea of extra unsprung weight so not done that yet, although might look at getting some aluminum ones made in the future.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Spacers is a big NO for me on track.
Have 2 mates had spacers. One had a wheel fall off in London.
The other lost 2 bolts on a track day.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Deleted member 103408

I changed the offset on the wheels rather than putting spacers on.

Reactions: vwtrev

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Spacers is a big NO for me on track.
Have 2 mates had spacers. One had a wheel fall off in London.
The other lost 2 bolts on a track day.

Why would that happen? I check my wheels torques when I was my car (which is a lot lol) and I’ve never found them to be loose... is it the curbs on tracks or the generally higher forces involved? Genuinely interested as I may well track my car at some point and do t want to lose a wheel!

Nizza

May 17, 2019
Top man.
Exactly what you should be doing. Only way to go.

What is the optimal offset you’ve found?

Nizza

May 17, 2019
I've a spare set of standard Cupra R wheels with 225/40/18" R888R's on. Did toy with the idea of 245's but the price difference is massive. Also spacers, better for track width of car but I don't like the idea of extra unsprung weight so not done that yet, although might look at getting some aluminum ones made in the future.

Ah sounds good. Will have to let me know how you get on. What brake ducts are you going to source as I am in need of some not even managed to get underneath mine yet with all the interior work

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Why would that happen? I check my wheels torques when I was my car (which is a lot lol) and I’ve never found them to be loose... is it the curbs on tracks or the generally higher forces involved? Genuinely interested as I may well track my car at some point and do t want to lose a wheel!

Exactly that.
The forces you put on the components are way higher
Main thing is its for prolonged periods too.
Your tyres get a beating, your oil under hard braking and long cornering, gets pushed up the walls of the engine leaving the sump lacking oil.
Oil temperatures become very high 118-120 is common without an oil cooler.
Suspension is taking a hammering too.
Was talking with an instructor at the Nurburgring and he estimated that every lap was the equivalent of 3000 miles of road going for your suspension.
I would never have spacers.
My pal is really cautious with stuff like torquing the nuts on his wheels. 2 weeks earlier BMW had the wheels off and re torqued them. Still came undone on track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Sharpy

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Exactly that.
The forces you put on the components are way higher
Main thing is its for prolonged periods too.
Your tyres get a beating, your oil under hard braking and long cornering, gets pushed up the walls of the engine leaving the sump lacking oil.
Oil temperatures become very high 118-120 is common without an oil cooler.
Suspension is taking a hammering too.
Was talking with an instructor at the Nurburgring and he estimated that every lap was the equivalent of 3000 miles of road going for your suspension.
I would never have spacers.
My pal is really cautious with stuff like torquing the nuts on his wheels. 2 weeks earlier BMW had the wheels off and re torqued them. Still came undone on track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks good to know! At the very least I’ll take them off for any track time I may do! It’d be an expensive day out if I lost a wheel.

Really appreciate the response.

Nizza

May 17, 2019
Hi does anyone know if these will go in my mk1 Lcr as I think I can source some slick tyres that will fit these rims. They are 5 x 100 et35
f3d89c47d387e2f40d98681d9867ab28.jpg

I can get slicks for the standard rims but they’re a little too wide which I would not prefer to have ie would need an 8.5j wheel.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.