Good price or not?

Jun 1, 2019
Hi guys and girls. Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. Am new to this forum. I use to have a hybrid turbo golf mk4, but the gearbox has decided to stop playing ball and it has a host of other problems so it's RIP time and I need a new car.

Have been looking at the mk2 leon fr 2.0 tdi 170, they are within my budget. I have seen one but not sure if its a good price or not. I would post a link here but don't want someone else to bag it so will put the important details and see what you guys think.

It's a 2009 Leon FR 2.0 TDI 170, less than 40k miles, full service history, 100% standard

Am I right in thinking they revised the Mk2 in 2009? Not sure if its the revised model or not.

The price is bit less than 8k. Would you say its overpriced / underpriced / about right? I think it should be more like 7k but I'm not really sure. Some feedback would be awesome!

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
I think the facelift (FL) was late 2009. I have an April 2010 model and have owned it for over 9 years. Top car. I've done over 126k in mine so don't expect it to fetch much (I have been quoted around 2.5 to 3k)

The car you are looking at has very good mileage for its age. If it's the FL I'd snap it up

I think 7k is probably about right

Some early FL models came with matching black wing mirrors covers if you spec'd the black wheels

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

ChocoMilkShark

Jul 25, 2018
Well depends on the car if it's the white one I found with the btcc kit (matches all you said) then it's meh price. get a proper check done before you buy as the first owner couldn't park and kept messing the front tyres up I don't know about the 2nd owner but the MOT it has now failed first time with the following.

2018-Oct-23
FAILED
MILEAGE 37037
FAIL

Offside Rear Coil spring fractured or broken (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Nearside Rear Coil spring fractured or broken (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Rear Position lamp has a product on the lens or light source which significantly reduces light intensity both (4.2.3 (b) (ii))
Exhaust emissions likely to be affected by an exhaust leak centre of exhaust leaking (8.2.1.1 (b))

Passed a week later with 300 more miles on it and no issues or advisers.

do what I did when I got my car is compair that car with others so you can get a idea if that cars the best for your needs and money value is there. like you can get a A3 -2010- 42k miles for the same money.

be careful when seeing it as I don't trust used car dealers at all they don't care about you just want your money.

Choco

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
8 grand for a ten year old FR? Are you ******* mental?

Clearly it's done nothing but short trips it's entire life, thats just waiting to give you trouble.

Jun 1, 2019
Thanks for replies :).

Pretty sure its a pre FL as its has no honeycomb grill and wing mirrors colour match wheels.

Yeah thats the one. Where did you get that info from? Something sounds a bit fishy to be fair.

I was also thinking about the low mileage and the DPF filter, its probably real clogged and other short journey issues. Averaging 4000 miles a year for 10 years really is not what diesels are built for.

Think will steer clear. Thanks for the help. Need to search for another one. I would rather spend less than that anyway, more like 5-6k but can stretch it a bit.

I don't necessarily need an FR. I was after a TDI, I love the diesel torque surge you just don't get with petrol unless its high BHP, something around 160 - 200bhp, more towards the upper end preferably, handles half decent, and is good value for money. Basically a more modern version of my RIP golf. You seem to get more bang for your buck so to speak with the SEAT compared to like a VW golf or a Audi A3 which is why i was leaning towards an FR more.

I have been known to be a bit mental :)

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Looking at the photos on eBay it's definitely a facelift... also definitely overpriced.

The black wheels and mirrors look like mods. The Ibera alloys came in silver only from the factory.

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
Thanks for replies :).

Pretty sure its a pre FL as its has no honeycomb grill and wing mirrors colour match wheels.

Yeah thats the one. Where did you get that info from? Something sounds a bit fishy to be fair.

I was also thinking about the low mileage and the DPF filter, its probably real clogged and other short journey issues. Averaging 4000 miles a year for 10 years really is not what diesels are built for.

Think will steer clear. Thanks for the help. Need to search for another one. I would rather spend less than that anyway, more like 5-6k but can stretch it a bit.

I don't necessarily need an FR. I was after a TDI, I love the diesel torque surge you just don't get with petrol unless its high BHP, something around 160 - 200bhp, more towards the upper end preferably, handles half decent, and is good value for money. Basically a more modern version of my RIP golf. You seem to get more bang for your buck so to speak with the SEAT compared to like a VW golf or a Audi A3 which is why i was leaning towards an FR more.

I have been known to be a bit mental :)

The MOT info would be from the Gov MOT website https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Yeah it is overpriced and not 100% stock.

Jun 1, 2019
Ah thanks. Have found a 2011 one which has 78k miles for £4995, long MOT, FSH, looks immaculate very tidy. About the best priced one I can find to be honest have been looking a fair bit, quite a lot of them seem overpriced. Is that an Ok price or still on the expensive side?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.