Cupra 290 wheel spin / wheel hop

Tricepz

Dec 11, 2014
Hey guys,
My front tires probably needs a change but anyways i was wondering if theres aby damage from wheel spin? Sometimes when i want to accelerate a bit i get this, and the sound is real hard in the cabin when it happens.

Should i change the front tires?
It happens once in a while i was just wondering if it damages something?

Thanks,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

ray

Jan 7, 2016
lol into an engine mount insert, or dogbone mount insert. They’re easily fitted and cost around 30 quid. That will stop the “hop” however the wheel spin will probably be the same until you change to decent tyres. I had terrible tyres on at first but the insert mostly cured the terrible wheel hop. Now with decent tyres it never happens. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tricepz

Tricepz

Dec 11, 2014
Its so bad i can barly accelerate in the city to over take someone when needed.

I really wanted to drag it another 4 5 months but its real bad.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
If the your lower mount it already shot, the insert won't help sadly and you'd be better off replacing the whole mount. However that's a lot more than the inserts.

Tricepz

Dec 11, 2014
If the your lower mount it already shot, the insert won't help sadly and you'd be better off replacing the whole mount. However that's a lot more than the inserts.
Well, i dont hear any noises when driving regularly..
Or accelerating in highways above 60 mph.

I had it also in my leon 1.8 fr long ago, but overtaking in the city became real hard.

Not sure if i need to replace mounts.. Im preety sure theyre ok.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Well, i dont hear any noises when driving regularly..
Or accelerating in highways above 60 mph.

I had it also in my leon 1.8 fr long ago, but overtaking in the city became real hard.

Not sure if i need to replace mounts.. Im preety sure theyre ok.

Didn’t say mounts, just the lower one.

Depends on the state of the mount. Putting a stiffer insert into a mount that is already damaged is no use.

Reactions: Tricepz

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I doubt there's any long term risk from that flex in the mount bushing, it's what was designed in. What can be a problem is using parts to prevent it, but which transfer stress loading elsewhere.
So far there hasn't seemed to be any mount failures.

MifSal

Feb 7, 2019
yesterday it was wet and i was being a bit silly tried to pull off from the lights and spun up pretty badly and got the thumping wheel hop for a couple of seconds. after that now i have this sound coming from the front of the car its like a rattling sometimes sounds like scraping when accelerating. does anyone know what this could be? had the car checked for any loose bushings and there was nothing but the noise is still there under heavy load when accelerating

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I doubt there's any long term risk from that flex in the mount bushing, it's what was designed in. What can be a problem is using parts to prevent it, but which transfer stress loading elsewhere.
So far there hasn't seemed to be any mount failures.
Leaving the bush standard but overly worn is probably fine for a time, but wheel hop will be awful.

The YouTube guy on here had a, not sure how to put this without it sounding rude, overly worn bush? Sloppy bush? Sagging bush? Who knows. Anyway he put the insert into it and ended up having to buy a new subframe.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Leaving the bush standard but overly worn is probably fine for a time, but wheel hop will be awful.

The YouTube guy on here had a, not sure how to put this without it sounding rude, overly worn bush? Sloppy bush? Sagging bush? Who knows. Anyway he put the insert into it and ended up having to buy a new subframe.
That would make your eyes water. I wonder if the subframe was cracked because of the sloppy bush and the new tight bush finished it off?

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Do the inserts increase vibration and noise in general use? I maybe get one fitted straight away when my car arrives if it helps that much.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Do the inserts increase vibration and noise in general use? I maybe get one fitted straight away when my car arrives if it helps that much.
The 034 motorsport one I got increased vibration a little in reverse, but nothing major.

That was on the 280 and the Bush was still in good nick.

Not bothered on the Carbon it being 4 drive, but tempted to as it seems to improve the gear shifts and general feel in corners under power.