Fitting Aero Side Skirts

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
Hi Everyone

I have just purchased and are on their way....... some Aero side skirts for my Leon SC.

They are factory painted so will just be a matter of fitting them.

Can anyone advise me on how this is done. I know they attach underneath and at the ends but what I want to know is.....

Can I use double sided tape where they attach to the car as I want to be able to remove them when I sell the car. So I don't want a permanent adhesive fix.

Any advice/ instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Danny

Reactions: donoli74

niallain

Apr 9, 2017
Cardiff
There is double sided tape already applied to the top of the skirts, but this is next to a channel to apply adhesive so it's more to complement and hold the skirt in place whilst the adhesive dries.

Only other advice I can provide is to have the front up on ramps and jack up the back to remove the rear wheel, made it a lot easier to fit mine.

donoli74

Oct 13, 2018
Hi Everyone

I have just purchased and are on their way....... some Aero side skirts for my Leon SC.

They are factory painted so will just be a matter of fitting them.

Can anyone advise me on how this is done. I know they attach underneath and at the ends but what I want to know is.....

Can I use double sided tape where they attach to the car as I want to be able to remove them when I sell the car. So I don't want a permanent adhesive fix.

Any advice/ instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Danny
You have link where you purchased this skirts?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Pixel 3 XL met Tapatalk

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
Reactions: donoli74

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
There is double sided tape already applied to the top of the skirts, but this is next to a channel to apply adhesive so it's more to complement and hold the skirt in place whilst the adhesive dries.

Only other advice I can provide is to have the front up on ramps and jack up the back to remove the rear wheel, made it a lot easier to fit mine.

Thanks

Did you use adhesive or just double sided tape?

I don’t have any ramps ☹️☹️☹️☹️ Is it going to be a nightmare lol

niallain

Apr 9, 2017
Cardiff
Thanks

Did you use adhesive or just double sided tape?

I don’t have any ramps ☹️☹️☹️☹️ Is it going to be a nightmare lol

I used adhesive, the double sided tape already applied to the skirts seems to be strong enough, however I certainly wasn't going to test it alone.

Having the front up on ramps helped, however having the back jacked up and wheel off is part of the provided instructions.

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
I used adhesive, the double sided tape already applied to the skirts seems to be strong enough, however I certainly wasn't going to test it alone.

Having the front up on ramps helped, however having the back jacked up and wheel off is part of the provided instructions.

Ahh I may have a couple of axle stands so I’ll do it that way.

I don’t know what to do as I don’t want it permanent

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I would fit them with additional proper adhesive. When you come to selling the car, they can only complement the car and make it more desirable.

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
I would fit them with additional proper adhesive. When you come to selling the car, they can only complement the car and make it more desirable.

I know what you’re saying. It was just in case I wanted to remove them.

I didn’t really want to do something permanent to my car as I am fitting them also, in case I make a mistake.

I have seen other members selling there skirts off there cars, so I wondered how they had done it.

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
I fitted mine with the clips that screw to the sill and tiger seal

The adhesive strip is just a weather seal and to hold the panel in place while the adhesive cures

I dare say without the adhesive they would be strong enough but I fitted mine permanently with the adhesive

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
Ahh I may have a couple of axle stands so I’ll do it that way.

I don’t know what to do as I don’t want it permanent
I took the wheels off the front and back it made it much easier though you could just turn the steering I suppose

I have Audi jack pads under the car which made it easier as obviously you can’t use stands in the pinch welds when fitting these

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
I took the wheels off the front and back it made it much easier though you could just turn the steering I suppose

I have Audi jack pads under the car which made it easier as obviously you can’t use stands in the pinch welds when fitting these

Thanks... it sounds like it’s going to be fun

I’m going to get some double sided good strength strips and see. I know they are also screwed at the end and underneath. I just worry I’ll lose one on the motorway but never lost a number plate with the sticky pads as long as clean the surface properly

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
It’s not a bad job to be honest

I reckon you could do without the glue to be honest they seemed pretty solid with just the adhesive strios

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
It’s not a bad job to be honest

I reckon you could do without the glue to be honest they seemed pretty solid with just the adhesive strios

Right if they fall off it’s on you

Cheers for the advice mate! I’m gonna put an extra strip on in case but I’ll see how solid! I trust your judgement

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
No worries. They defo wouldn’t fall off cos they’re well stuck in with the clips and screw-in the wheel wells but the worst that could happen would be there would be a gap at the top I think

dannytremendous

Apr 4, 2019
No worries. They defo wouldn’t fall off cos they’re well stuck in with the clips and screw-in the wheel wells but the worst that could happen would be there would be a gap at the top I think

Brilliant. Well I will see and if a gap appears I’ll use adhesive. I’ll post updates when I’m done

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.