Aftermarket Uprated Headlights?

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Has any got any recommendations for aftermarket uprated headlights?

I have a pre-facelift mk2 Leon FR.

Ta in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
What blulbs?

A set of Osram Nightbreakers are pretty decent, Mtec do some super-white ones as well.
More of the HID type bulbs would be good or Xenons.

I currently have the standard headlight cluster, but would like to upgrade them really.

I've got GE 130+ bulbs in atm, but would rather replace the whole cluster for something a bit more modern.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Well you'll just have to fit the Xenon units out of a later Leon.

You can't fit HID kits to standard headlights anymore

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Trouble is, if you want them new, you'll be looking at around £900 a side.

Jeez!! Really?

I'll start shopping for the S3 early then.

This modification thing is getting pricey.

However, those white ones mtec ones a go then for now.

I have led white sidelights and the look great and the headlights are fully functional and give off great light and I've not long bought the buggers, hate replacing stiff that aint broke unless it's a noticeable upgrade.

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
I got a set of LED bulbs that hold the patern bang on and that was the quote from an mot tester. and they give better light output .
BEAMTECH H7 LED Headlight Bulbs,CSP Chips Headlamp 50W 6500K 8000Lumens
Philips 18952C2 CANbus LED Control Unit (H7).

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
I got a set of LED bulbs that hold the patern bang on and that was the quote from an mot tester. and they give better light output .
BEAMTECH H7 LED Headlight Bulbs,CSP Chips Headlamp 50W 6500K 8000Lumens
Philips 18952C2 CANbus LED Control Unit (H7).

A quick Google is showing them on Amazon for £22 or so.

They the right ones?

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
yer got both things on amazon
the resistor cost the most but its worth it and i would not go with cheap resistor as it will melt your car and still not work. that was the only one that would work on my car 100% without setting the car on fire with the heat

Last edited:

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
yer got both things on amazon
the resistor cost the most but its worth it and i would not go with cheap resistor as it will melt your car and still not work. that was the only one that would work on my car 100% without setting the car on fire with the heat
Took your advice and they arrived today.

Are they easy to fit?

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Done in minutes.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Cheers for the recommendation!

Fitted them after a while of realising that they have the plastic retainer that goes in first, then the bulb, doh!!!

Great light output and even better, the headlights now match my sidelights.

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
@SpiderWelsh do you have any before and after pics? Did you just buy the H7 LEDs and the control unit or anything else?

I have Osram night breakers but they're too yellow for my liking, and the light output isn't great at night on country roads.

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
@DavieTDI thanks, ordered them from Amazon and they should be here tomorrow. £48 for a pair of LED bulbs + control unit.

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
Just read the instructions. To get the light in you need to remove the heat sink other than that it's a piece of piss to install

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Just read the instructions. To get the light in you need to remove the heat sink other than that it's a piece of piss to install

I'm not sure you even need to remove the heat sync tbh.

I noticed on my bulbs there was a plastic bit that the bulb effectively screws into, but it looks like part of the stem of the bulb.

Excuse the shoddy screeny and explanation, but...

The bit in the circle is like the retainer metal on a normal bulb, but it screws off these LEDs and then you put that into the car's bulb slot, apply the retainer clip to hold it in place as you would a regular sized bulb, then finally screw the LED back into the plastic retainer.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Took me ages figuring out, how the F can the retainer clip fit over the LEDs fat backside?
5ab904bd9b37120b3620295ee90ebd5a.jpg

Marky N

Jul 15, 2014
London
More of the HID type bulbs would be good or Xenons.

I currently have the standard headlight cluster, but would like to upgrade them really.

I've got GE 130+ bulbs in atm, but would rather replace the whole cluster for something a bit more modern.

I would like to upgrade mine to something more modern but I'm fearful of naff ones. I don't like the cold blue White lights that some of these l.e.d's give off.i an envious when a new model Mercedes drives past at night time and illuminates like daylight what my headlights have tried to. This is the light I'm after.

Sent from my MI 8 Lite using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members