Approved warranty not covering full cost of repairs!

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I bought a Leon Mk 3 late last summer from a Seat dealership. It is out of the 3 year manufacturers warranty, but still covered under the 12 months approved used warranty.

I travelled over 2 hours to buy the car last year as it was the right age, mileage, condition etc. It was my first time doing this, and the salesman assured me that I could take it to any Seat dealership for warranty work (I move around alot with work so I specifically asked this).

My car has developed a problem, and today I took it to my local Seat dealer. They did fault diagnosis and need to replace parts. However, there is no warranty showing on their system.

I contacted the dealer I bought it from, the warranty I have got actually only applies to the franchise of dealership I bought the car from, of which there are none nearby.
So if I want the vehicle fixing, I have to take it to a dealership further away for fault diagnosis and rectification, and I have to pay the local Seat dealer out of my own money for the fault diagnosis they did today.

I am trying to avoid specifics as it is an ongoing case. Has anyone else ever had this problem? This could be the end of Seats for me. I had a bad buying experience, it broke down within 2 weeks of ownership, and now this has happened. Any replies and advice gratefully received.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
You could try phoning Seat UK. Explaining the situation, tell them which dealer it is and see if they will sort something for you.

Reactions: louiskopite

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
At the end of the day the customer is always right.

By the sounds of it you have been mis-sold something by the sales person. If you either have the time or patience to escalate this matter (I'd go straight to the CEO Richard Harrison - https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-80974) you should be able to get this matter solved. The trouble you might have is proving that the salesperson actually said you would be covered at any dealership (is this mentioned/ noted in your paperwork?). If this fails you can take it to the Motor Ombudsmans (https://www.themotorombudsman.org/consumers/case-creation).

Fingers crossed for you mate, hope you get this sorted.

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
Didn't you get the warranty in writing when you bought the car? I never trust dealers/car sales people so I always make sure everything is evidenced. Maybe you should check the paperwork you received to see if it is mentioned anywhere?

By the way this is a fraudulent misrepresentation under contract law - i.e. they misrepresented the facts to induce you to enter into the contract. The remedies for this under the law are rescission (i.e. the contract is set aside and you are put back in the position you were before entering the contract) and/or damages. Make sure you mention this in your complaint.

Reactions: louiskopite

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If you bought your car as an approved used Seat, then I’d have thought it would’ve come with a Seat manufacturer-backed warranty and that you could take it to any Seat dealer for warranty work. I can’t see a link to the warranty booklet on the Seat website, but assuming it’s very similar to the VW approved used warranty (Das Welt Auto), then you can take your car to any VW retailer / authorised repairer, and I’d be very surprised if it was any different for Seat.

Whether the warranty is an official Seat warranty or a dealer-specific one, you should have a booklet outlining what is covered under the warranty, and this should clarify the position on who should carry out repairs. Irrespective of whether this is any Seat dealership or the specific dealer group you bought your car from, the dealer should’ve made this clear at time of purchase.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Most Seat dealerships advertise ‘approved used’ that suggests that the 12 month warranty is covered by Seat itself.

Documentation on a warranty may of been provided saying the warranty was supplied by the dealership, however it doesn’t get last the issue, did the salesman specifically outline the details of the warranty correctly. If not it is still been miss sold T&C’s or otherwise.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Thanks for the replies and advice so far.

I have the warranty paperwork here. I have a 'Pentagon Approved Used Vehicle Warranty' because I bought it from a Pentagon Seat dealer. But I was definitely told I could take it to any Seat dealer for work, otherwise I wouldn't have travelled so far to buy the car.

Looking back, I should have known they were just wanting the sale. Before buying, I asked for pictures of the car from all angles and a description of its condition. The salesman said it was mint, no damage or marks anywhere. He only sent me pictures of 3 of its wheels, I figured he forgot to attached the 4th. And on collection day, funnily enough, it had a kerbed wheel, the one he didnt send a picture of.

Sisqo_uk

Nov 9, 2017
Don’t be discouraged by seat. The warranty is not seats fault it’s the dealer that misrepresented the deal to you.
I buy seat used car warranty every year and it fine and will let you go anywhere without limit.

What is the fault?
And if I was you I’d pay. Get a receipt for the diagnostic. Take it to pentagon and force them to reimburse you as well as resolve the problem.
In fact I’d want to take a copy of the diagnostic and what’s required to fix it from seat so if they (pentagon) try to say otherwise you can show them on paper they wrong and get a copy of what they claimed they fixed “allegedly”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
It's pentagon who have screwed you, they have given you there own private warranty instead of paying the fee for the approved seat used warranty.

To be fair aswell if it was me I'd have noticed straight away on looking at the paperwork I'd been given a third party warranty and questioned it. Lesson learned.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Have you called the warranty company directly and discussed it with them?

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
Thanks for the replies and advice so far.

I have the warranty paperwork here. I have a 'Pentagon Approved Used Vehicle Warranty' because I bought it from a Pentagon Seat dealer. But I was definitely told I could take it to any Seat dealer for work, otherwise I wouldn't have travelled so far to buy the car.

Looking back, I should have known they were just wanting the sale. Before buying, I asked for pictures of the car from all angles and a description of its condition. The salesman said it was mint, no damage or marks anywhere. He only sent me pictures of 3 of its wheels, I figured he forgot to attached the 4th. And on collection day, funnily enough, it had a kerbed wheel, the one he didnt send a picture of.

I also have an extended Seat warranty, a 2 year bolt onto the end of Seat's manufactures warranty. Mine was with Arnald Clark, I too had a bit of a drive to pick my car up (60 miles). I've looked at the small print of my warranty & they'll authorise repair from another vat registered garage inc Seat, if my nearest Arnald Clarke was over 25 miles away, which it is. I've not had to use my warranty yet, but the garage was very helpful. Unlike previous experiences I've had with Evans Halshaw. The Seat garage even rung me up a week later, after purchase, to see if all was ok with my car. Which it was. It was 3 years old at the point of purchase, one previous private owner (not lease), low mileage (15K). I traveled, as It was the car I wanted.
My extended warranty is with "Autocare", through a Seat main dealer (Arnald Clark). Including two years breakdown cover too. I've also rung the warranty company to confirm what I've already said above. Neither do I have to service my car with Seat, just a vat reg garage. I could have as many claims as I like over the 2 year warranty period, max single claim limit of 3k, all parts & labour covered. All within the small print, I suppose.
It's my first Seat in over 30 years of driving, fortunately for me I've had an positive experience. Smoothest auto transmission I've ever owned (dsg), very smooth 4 cylinder 1.2t engine too. Having previously owned a 3 pot 1.0t engine (different manufacturer). Doubtful I'll ever buy another 3 cylinder turbo engine from any manufacturer.
What's the issue that you are having?

Last edited:

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Ok so some more specific details, it is a 65 plate Leon ST with 40k miles on. At slow speed over bumps, the rear suspension makes a slight knocking noise. Dealer diagnosed it as both rear shock absorbers need replacing.

I contacted the warranty company this morning. They have said the issue isn't because it is a Pentagon warranty, they wont cover the repair cost because they say the shocks have reached the end of their life and are a wear and tear item. I am lost for words. The car is under 4 years old, has 40k miles on, and they are saying the shocks have just reached the end of their life because of wear and tear.

Even the technician at the dealership has said it is mechanical failure, not wear and tear. But the warranty company wont take his diagnosis, they will only offer to send out an independent assessor, and if they decide it is just wear and tear, then I will have to cover all their expenses. As it stands, I already have a bill for over £200 for just doing fault diagnosis.

I am currently waiting for a phone call from a manager at the warranty company, but I am sure he will just say the same thing. I am a little overwhelmed by the situation. After paying a premium to buy from a main dealer, and the car being sold with 12 months manufacturers warranty, I am speechless that they are not covering the cost of these parts that have prematurely failed.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Ok so some more specific details, it is a 65 plate Leon ST with 40k miles on. At slow speed over bumps, the rear suspension makes a slight knocking noise. Dealer diagnosed it as both rear shock absorbers need replacing.

I contacted the warranty company this morning. They have said the issue isn't because it is a Pentagon warranty, they wont cover the repair cost because they say the shocks have reached the end of their life and are a wear and tear item. I am lost for words. The car is under 4 years old, has 40k miles on, and they are saying the shocks have just reached the end of their life because of wear and tear.

Even the technician at the dealership has said it is mechanical failure, not wear and tear. But the warranty company wont take his diagnosis, they will only offer to send out an independent assessor, and if they decide it is just wear and tear, then I will have to cover all their expenses. As it stands, I already have a bill for over £200 for just doing fault diagnosis.

I am currently waiting for a phone call from a manager at the warranty company, but I am sure he will just say the same thing. I am a little overwhelmed by the situation. After paying a premium to buy from a main dealer, and the car being sold with 12 months manufacturers warranty, I am speechless that they are not covering the cost of these parts that have prematurely failed.

Sounds like your warranty is with Pentagon, not SEAT.

Shock absorbers are a wear and tear item. The car is not new. I'm not surprised they won't cover you.

However, them getting out an independent assessor is simply a way for them to say no to you again.

Get what SEAT have said in writing, from their master technician, and use this as your bargaining chip. The £200 you have spent in diagnostics could be worth your while for the evidence alone.

Aside from that, be civil on the phone. Read the warranty terms and conditions as YOU received them in writing. Pose your conundrum to the manager. Seek a resolution, not a dispute.

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
Sounds like the warranty is not worth the paper it was written on. I certainly wouldn't spend anymore money with the Seat dealership, just put everything into writing, contact the warranty companies customer services, explain to them that Seat consider this to be a mechanical failure. As the dealership have stated it was a mechanical failure, not down to wear and tear. See what sort of response you then get back.
Otherwise have the shocks changed by an independent if you get no where with the warranty company, as this will save you some money in the long term. Avoid purchasing another car from the Pentagon group if you are unhappy with their service or warranties.
I've equally had bad experience from Evans Halshaw in the past with sales and service.

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Also had this problem with my old focus st

Bought it from Evans Halshaw Ford

Local dealer was Arnold Clark Ford and they werent interested.

The evans halshaw ford was a tank of fuel away so just swallowed the cost and fixed it myself

Reactions: Boroboy

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand

They have a point that will be hard to argue. Shocks have a limited life, even shorter on rough roads or carrying heavy loads.
The only way to prove disprove that will be to disassemble the shock.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I also have an extended Seat warranty, a 2 year bolt onto the end of Seat's manufactures warranty. Mine was with Arnald Clark, I too had a bit of a drive to pick my car up (60 miles). I've looked at the small print of my warranty & they'll authorise repair from another vat registered garage inc Seat, if my nearest Arnald Clarke was over 25 miles away, which it is. I've not had to use my warranty yet, but the garage was very helpful. Unlike previous experiences I've had with Evans Halshaw. The Seat garage even rung me up a week later, after purchase, to see if all was ok with my car. Which it was. It was 3 years old at the point of purchase, one previous private owner (not lease), low mileage (15K). I traveled, as It was the car I wanted.
My extended warranty is with "Autocare", through a Seat main dealer (Arnald Clark). Including two years breakdown cover too. I've also rung the warranty company to confirm what I've already said above. Neither do I have to service my car with Seat, just a vat reg garage. I could have as many claims as I like over the 2 year warranty period, max single claim limit of 3k, all parts & labour covered. All within the small print, I suppose.
It's my first Seat in over 30 years of driving, fortunately for me I've had an positive experience. Smoothest auto transmission I've ever owned (dsg), very smooth 4 cylinder 1.2t engine too. Having previously owned a 3 pot 1.0t engine (different manufacturer). Doubtful I'll ever buy another 3 cylinder turbo engine from any manufacturer.
What's the issue that you are having?
That's not the seat extended warranty that's Arnold Clarks own in house warranty autocare, 2 different products.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Sounds like the warranty is not worth the paper it was written on. I certainly wouldn't spend anymore money with the Seat dealership, just put everything into writing. Contact Seat customer services, explain to them that it's an approved Seat warranty. The dealership have stated it was a mechanical failure, not down to wear and tear. That the warranty company will not now cover the cost of this machanical failure. You would not have took this warranty out in the first place, as it's not fit for purpose. See what sort of response you then get back.
Otherwise have the shocks changed by an independent if you get no where with Seat or the warranty company, as this will save you some money in the long term. Avoid purchasing another car from the Pentagon group if you are unhappy with their service.
I've equally had bad experience from Evans Halshaw in the past with sales and service.
It's not an approved seat warranty, his warranty is with the dealership company he has purchased from "pendragon". Seat offer there own warranty which can be purchased from dealerships, the dealership will always sell you there own wether that be autocare or whatever pendragons is called as its a big earner selling there own product unless you specifically ask for the seat official offering.

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
It's not an approved seat warranty, his warranty is with the dealership company he has purchased from "pendragon". Seat offer there own warranty which can be purchased from dealerships, the dealership will always sell you there own wether that be autocare or whatever pendragons is called as its a big earner selling there own product unless you specifically ask for the seat official offering.
Thanks for pointing me on the right track, I've edited my initial post, managed to confuse myself on that one.

I had a 60 day Seat used warranty initially, then was asked if I'd like to extend it for another 2 years, with a Seat dealer approved warranty, which I took. Hopefully won't have to use it. Yes it is an "Autocare", warranty. It covers shock absorbers too. Yes it's an Arnold Clark warranty, approved by a Seat dealership, not Seat, as I initially thought. In over 30 years of driving, I've never changed a shock absorber. I'd consider brakes to be wear & tear. Not shock absorbers within a 3.5 year old car that had covered only 40k. I mainly took out my warranty to cover major items, including my dsg box, which is covered. Wear & tear can mean a lot of things, one of the reasons these after market warranties get away with not paying out. Just about everything on your car could be down to wear & tear.
Does state that shocks are covered with an Autocare warranty.
I've gone over the small print of my warranty, hopefully all major items would be covered, some after market warranties are OK. I certainly wouldn't take one out with Evans Halshaw. Neither would I buy another car from them. The service I received from Arnald Clark was good, they even rung me back a week later & asked if my car was OK. That's unheard of, with all other garages I've ever previously dealt with.
https://www.arnoldclarkcustomerservices.com/aftercare/autocare/autocare.pdf
At least with my current extended warranty I can also take it to any vat reg garage to have my car serviced & keep the extended warranty. Neither do I need to take it to an Arnald Clark garage to have it repaired. As I live further than 25 miles away from an Arnald Clark garage (all in the small print). I also have 26 months brake down cover from when i bought my car. Discount on their warranty too, after an haggle with them. No doubt proof would be in the pudding, if I ever needed to use it.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise