FMIC Question

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Both of those look rather small, easy to install though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
The Direnza one is not looking good reading the spec, although 640x185x63 it suggests the pipe work is only 51mm.

and I think the ally one is the same too :-(....okay that rules them out

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
The Direnza one is not looking good reading the spec, although 640x185x63 it suggests the pipe work is only 51mm.

and I think the ally one is the same too :-(....okay that rules them out
There is something about keeping the pipe small from turbo to intercooler and then larger from intercooler to intake mani . It's a staggered setup and works well when done right, better efficiency less pressure drop before and in intercooler and better flow after intercooler. Look into it!

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I'm not sure but I cant see any real benefit of installing a little front mount when its already got a twin side mount set up.
If you're going to the effort of changing things at least make it a worthwhile upgrade or you're simply wasting your time and money.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I thought that . Would a small fmic be better than the 2 smic's??
Yes, alot more efficient. SMICs heat soak easily and have worse efficiency due to more piping and the charge going through 2 separate cores. As far as best intercooler setup goes from worst efficiency to best.

Single SMIC
Double SMIC
Top Mount Intercooler
FMIC double pass
FMIC single pass horizontal flow
FMIC single pass vertical flow

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I'm not sure but I cant see any real benefit of installing a little front mount when its already got a twin side mount set up.
If you're going to the effort of changing things at least make it a worthwhile upgrade or you're simply wasting your time and money.

Also depends on the thickness of the core. FMIC will always be more efficient than SMIC. The size is only relevant to HP goals. Surface of cooling fins etc.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Na...I almost bought the same one mate but decided i wouldnt be happy with the red hoses on my car so bailed on it.
It looked really good condition actually.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
It seems to be , It looks like it wasn't on the car for long and I got to see it come off the car . I think I would still have had it even if the hoses were pink :)

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Seriously ****** off now !! How the **** do you get the front bumper to slot into the wing , the ******* cunting headlights are in the way and you cannot move them ...at this rate im cutting those stupid ******* slide things off.

Right now I do not recomend fitting any kind of intercooler without A. someone whose do it before and B. Is there with you .

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Chill mate, its easy once you know how.
I never slide them off or on.
Always unbolt the mounts from the wings with the mount slid into position on the bumpers.
You'll need to access the two 8mm nuts from behind the arch liner.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Bro... try removing this ******* transmission without dropping the subframe and in my case the angle drive for 4x4... I was ready to torch the car last night... still working on removal now.

You'll get it sometimes it's best to take a brake grab a beer

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.