Mk3 FL Whispbar/Yakima Roofbar Mounting

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I have recently purchased some Yakima aero-profile roofbars. I chose these bars as I could swap the Smartfoot, so that I could fit the same bars to both the ST and 5dr variants that we own.

Whilst fitting the K1000W Smartfoot (universal to Yakima and Whispbar) to the bars for the ST, I noticed that there are no locating spigots on the inner clamp to locate/secure the Smartfoot to the holes on the flush roof-rails.

Has anyone else purchased these bars - is the Smartfoot supposed to have the locating spigots?

As an engineer by trade, my assumption would be that the locating spigots ensure that the roof is loaded at the strongest point of the vehicle roof structure.

I have sent this same question to the supplying company, but thought that I may get a quicker response here.

Thanks in advance.

2:25 to 3:08 in the video may explain a little better.

Last edited:

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have an ST and use Thule roof bars and load equipment.

The Thule footpack doesn't have spigots to fit into the 2 holes in the roof bars either, so I just sit the footpack over the holes as this is obviously where they are designed to go.

Reactions: black_sheep

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Brilliant. Just what I wanted to confirm. The supplier has confirmed the same too whilst I’ve been fitting to the 5dr this evening.

I can’t recommend the supplier enough (www.roofbox.co.uk) to be honest. They recommended the Yakima/Whispbars due to the fact that the Smartfoot pack for 5dr was £25 vs £120 for the Thule bars, and the bars were a few mm wider than the Thule equivalent to allow fitment of qty x 4 bike carriers.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I have to say im really pleased with my Thule ones

5BD88A9C-B007-40B0-8E2C-DE2C49A211DB.jpeg

A3E57C7B-6507-4CE1-8F7F-D8F1427C71A8.jpeg

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
It's very unusual for me to break my OCD and not have matching everything (brand, colour etc)... If it was fitment to just the one car, then there was £5 difference between the Thule, Yakima and Whispbars (Yakima has now acquired Whispbar I believe) and like you would have selected the Thule bars, for the guaranteed fitment.

I do have the Thule Proride 598 in silver and black Yakima aerobars; took them out for a quick spin this evening and all is good.

Thanks for the input/assistance.

Reactions: chrisRibiza

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I have actually emailed Thule with some feedback on the 598 bars, they could do with being 6” - 12” longer to keep up with modern MTBs.

I have 2 more bikes I reglurary use and both are a bit long for the rack, if it was a bit longer it would be perfect.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.