Loss of engine braking Cupra

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
Yesterday, I had a VAG Sport res delete on my 16 plate Cupra 290, APR lower dogbone insert and an oil service using millers nanodrive. I noticed that I needed version 1 of the res delete but they installed version 2 as they said it would work. Car sounds good but I feel like it's possibly missing a bit of power it used to have. I also feel like when high in the revs I no longer have the engine braking I used to have which makes the handling feel a bit weird on corner entry now. I thought if anything the APR insert would make the car feel a bit sharper but it's ultra smooth now. No vibrations even at idle or in reverse. Any ideas or anyone experienced the same? Car is stock power but planning a stage 1 remap and clutch upgrade (manual).

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
All I can say is, on my 280 a good few years ago, I did feel like I had less power after the res delete. But that was only because it made much more noise and I realised I was only taking the car to 3k rpm before I changed gear, when I stretched it to the limiter, it was exactly the same.

But I cant answer the lack of engine braking, that shouldn't change at all. I also don't gave the dogbone insert, but fly knowledge of cars says that would not affect engine braking.

Maybe it's just the car feels and sounds a lot different and it's playing on the mind ??

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
I was taking it out to redline. I accept the perception of loss of power might just be in my head but it definitely feels a bit flat to me which is a bit disappointing. I wondered if the normal engine braking feel came from the standard Bush allowing the engine to rock more when lifting off whereas now you don't get the jolt of the engine moving so much on sudden lift off at high rpm. The revs do seem to me to hang a bit more though. Need that remap to recover some feeling of power.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
As the guys said the res delete won't slownthe car down or make it faster just give it some more grunt.

It won't affect engine braking either mine still drops a gear going down a steep hill or drops the gears earlier if I brake harder.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I can't see how engine braking could be affected unless there's a serious restriction in the exhaust. That would also affect the power output.
I hope they didn't leave a rag or something in there, it seems unlikely if it is noisier as well.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.