DirectLine.. Useless or just me?

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
So My current insurance is with Directline, and its among the cheapest quotes for my Astra. Ive tried all day to add my Cupra to a multicar policy since I have to keep the Astra for 2 months.

First DLs website seems to make multicar all but impossible because it explains nothing about NCD, offers no way to apply it to whichever car you want or what the discount is or how its applied, and second, they wouldn't accept the reg number because its not on their system. Their web chat couldnt add it or help. I phoned them and they cant see the online quotes so did a new one.. Its hundreds more than anyone else and more than the online one. Its more to add the Cupra than to insure both cars from scratch with Admiral!

So.. I call to cancel, they are after all open from 8am to 9pm. Well nope, no they arent. No answer since 6pm. Web chat is supposed to be open until 11pm, but the links disappear at 6pm.

How are they still in business? They wont even participate in comparison sites!

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Done the best quote for my house and lockup for the last two years, by a country mile. But were nowhere near for the Cupra, Sheila Wheels have had the best for that for 3 years now.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
The price was bad enough, but the hassle was ridiculous.

For reference Direct line wanted an extra £675 for the Cupra, on top of the £310 I was paying for the Astra. Admiral charged £660 for both, same terms except for slightly higher excess on the Cupra. The added bonus is a refund of £130 on the Astra by cancelling Direct line early, and will get a partial refund on the Astra portion of the Admiral cover when it goes back to the leasing company in August.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
I was with DL when I wrote off my Cupra and they were really useless when it came to claiming. I was still paying the monthly payments on the Leon 4 months after it went to the scrapyard because they hadn't sorted everything out. I was also paying for its replacement at the same time.

I stuck with them for a few years because going on the comparison sites meant I had to cough up about the claim, which I was happy to do, but there was a question that asked how much the total was and I didn't want to know! This year, though, their renewal price was a total joke and I had to bite the bullet and phone them to ask for the figure. It was £94K. Oops!

Reactions: kanyewest

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
A Ford C Max. Initially.

Then my car bounced back and under the artic I was overtaking (not fast, maybe 40 in a 60 limit). Lorry then pushed me and the Ford across the road into oncoming traffic. Result was 4 cars written off, one damaged lorry and several whiplash claims. I held my hands up to the whole thing and got a 3 month ban for careless driving. Not my proudest moment!

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
A Ford C Max. Initially.

Then my car bounced back and under the artic I was overtaking (not fast, maybe 40 in a 60 limit). Lorry then pushed me and the Ford across the road into oncoming traffic. Result was 4 cars written off, one damaged lorry and several whiplash claims. I held my hands up to the whole thing and got a 3 month ban for careless driving. Not my proudest moment!

Ouch!

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
A Ford C Max. Initially.

bloody hell, glad youre able to type this up

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
There was only one panel on the whole car that wasn't crumpled and it was the driver's door. I literally just opened it and stepped out. The green lorry in the background is the way I was heading before it happened!

Toledo TSI

Sep 20, 2017
I was with Direct Line many years and one Saturday afternoon I parked my car in a reasonably busy road, when I got back an hour after two windows had been smashed and one of the door locks removed by a screwdriver and the steering wheel had been sawn ( the Stoplock prevented my car from being stolen)..
When it came back after being repaired the same steering wheel was still on, so back it went and the steering wheel was replaced after a couple of hours but was at a 30 degree angle. Months after when I came to put the spare tyre on it had two nails hammered into it, presumably from the Direct Line garage.
The motto is "it's cheap for a reason".

Reactions: simonali

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
When I asked they said they weren't on comparison sites because of 'security'. More likely is they aren't on them because their systems are so antiquated.
Remember they have no app for phones, they dont even give you the option to download your documents or view them online.The web site and its services dont appear to have changed in 15 years. The online system cant even talk to the call centre staff, quotes have to be transferred manually between the separate teams.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
A Ford C Max. Initially.

Bloody hell. Glad you are ok, that looks horrendous.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.