Facelift or pre facelift

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
They aren't rubbish, just not a lot better than halogens. Post facelift are almost as good as the best Xeons, on dipped, but every bit as good on full beam.

Also, having full link included as standard so Android Auto works is well worth having.

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Don’t let dealers touch my car; I have a part time car detailing company; i’m really into Detailing. Quite hard to get the time to do it as a head chef mind!! no nothing at all mate touch wood! I have only had it a couple of months I had a 67 plate Ibiza FR but was a bit boring and I have always wanted a Cupra since before I could even drive! I really like the copper mate! What’s winter pack include? Mine has heated seats what else does winter pack give?
Fair comment, if I had the time and space I'd sort mine out too. I added paint protection but it doesn't really help that much.

I realise that part of your spec was heated buckets.
The winter pack also includes heated washer jets for the windscreen and lights - not sure how effective they are.

2x week makes sense now with your profession and all :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hi,
Thanks for the replys I wasn't aware that the lights are rubbish on the early ones as I do a lot of driving at night that's a consideration.
I noticed a massive difference between the LED lights on the pre and the facelift.

The facelifted lights are much more effective.

That said i was originally impressed with the pre-facelift headlights when i got them (although i was coming from a standard MK2 FR)

NotificatorZeth

Aug 10, 2018
Estonia
I wonder if there really is much difference between the facelift vs non facelift LED lights other than their age. I am pretty sure I've heard rumours of them getting dimmer over time.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I wonder if there really is much difference between the facelift vs non facelift LED lights other than their age. I am pretty sure I've heard rumours of them getting dimmer over time.
May be, but I only lease my cars and had the 280 for 3 years from new.

I'm now in a 2019 290 and I have noticed a difference. Not sure what it is but the beam pattern has changed. Some have mentioned that they seem to project further too.

I was happy with the lights on my 280 when I had it though.

There is a thread on it here.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....lights-vs-mk3-facelift-led-headlights.438476/

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
When I arrive at my place of work I have to select sidelights and in my 2017 CUPRA 300 this just leaves the DRL’s lit. I was actually told to turn my lights off by the security guard as they were too bright. I told him that they were at the lowest setting and he wasn’t impressed with his bright the lights were!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
:bleh:Ehe
When I arrive at my place of work I have to select sidelights and in my 2017 CUPRA 300 this just leaves the DRL’s lit. I was actually told to turn my lights off by the security guard as they were too bright. I told him that they were at the lowest setting and he wasn’t impressed with his bright the lights were!!

where do you work? Mi6?

Reactions: Maypack

Deleted member 103408

nobody knows he is special but we cant get the truth from him and we have tried

its either top gear or a car magazine in my opinion.

but he is a nice guy and does a great sausage.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The facelift does look much better in my opinion and the larger infotainment screen is nice

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
I don't like auto braking systems, esp when they brake when not required, which I've experienced with another manufacturer. I do like my LED's headlights, only used them once so far mind. So I'd go for the pre face lift without auto braking, which I did on my 2016 Leon, recently. Also my tax is cheaper too (£30 for the 1.2t dsg).
The face lift does look a little better, but I'll cope. Generally I tend to just buy what I fancy.

Deleted member 103408

By auto braking I presume you mean the car sensing something in front of you and if you don't react quick enough to the warning it applies the brake. In which case this is on the Pre Facelift (well on my 2014 Cupra anyway). What I would say is based on the feedback on this site the older cars (eg mine) are much less sensitive than the newer models (as many complaints about leaves and bags causing issues).

Reactions: Boroboy

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
By auto braking I presume you mean the car sensing something in front of you and if you don't react quick enough to the warning it applies the brake. In which case this is on the Pre Facelift (well on my 2014 Cupra anyway). What I would say is based on the feedback on this site the older cars (eg mine) are much less sensitive than the newer models (as many complaints about leaves and bags causing issues).

Agree totally. MrsMaypacks 2017 Leon Xcellence nearly put her through the windscreen when it applied the brakes due to a rogue bag.

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
Yep my pre facelift se does not have it, I've experienced the self auto braking system on a previous Astra K I previously owned, not a fun experience, when it nearly put myself & passenger through the windscreen for no apparent reason. Also had to turn it off during every ignition cycle (annoying), as the Astra's became newer the system became less easy to turn off too, having more setting functions to access first. I found it to be more of an hindrance, than a help. On the max setting it would activate a dash buzzer/light whilst passing parked cars. Even on the min setting it was not reliable.
We seem to be the guinea pigs for future so called safety tec systems. Although my last Astra system was activated my radar, whilst the previous Astra was by camera (less reliable).

Last edited:
May 3, 2019
I leased an 2017 FR 150 (facelift) for a couple of years and enjoyed it so much
When it went back, for financial reasons I decided to buy a 2015 FR.
What surprised me most was how well built the older car felt in terms of drive etc.
Obviously, with facelift you get your tech upgrades, lights, emergency braking etc. but I guess I was kind of expecting the older car to feel like a slight downgrade, which definitely isn’t the case.
Both cars had similar mileage and because they overlapped It gave me a good opportunity to compare them.
The 2015 car has SEAT sound, auto lights etc so it made the switch a lot more bearable, while the only thing I really miss about the facelift model is apple car play but I can live without that.
Throttle response is a little different on both cars with ACT staying on for slightly longer at times in the older model but performance wise I found both to be virtually the same.
I am definitely pleased with how well the 2015 FR drives and couldn’t find any negatives in comparison to the newer facelift.

Oddmanout

May 19, 2019
Hi,
Looking at getting a Leon fr have seen a few about reg march 2017 so was wondering what the difference is between the two.
I know that the front bumper/foglight are different, the facelift one comes with an electronic handbrake and a bigger info screen, also the 17" wheels look different.
The main reason is are the facelift ones worth the extra.
Thanks.

I had this same choice a couple of months ago and went for a later model pre-facelift due to: 150bhp engine (easier to find pre-facelift) - personally 125bhp wouldn't have been enough as my previous Golf SE had that power level and I wanted a bit more; and it was thousands cheaper not just hundreds. Mine is a 2016 so its the 'newer older' shape but still has a top spec. I'm happy with my choice.

Also, on this car I didn't want the adaptive cruise control/auto braking module. I had this on my previous Golf and when it works its great but its connected to absolutely every other sensor so if it gets damaged (happens often - stone chips etc) or stolen like mine (VERY common issue - you can read about it online) then its an absolute nightmare that even VW weren't able to fix after several visits. The radar being stolen caused issues with all the other sensors - start/stop, tyre pressure, traction control the lot. So what would happen is the car would find so many issues that sometimes it wouldn't start, telling me that there were serious errors.
On one occasion I had to get a lift home and leave the car where it was overnight - thankfully it started the next day. Anyway long story short be very wary if you get ACC. It cost almost £2k to replace as it can only be done by a dealer (for coding reasons).

Last edited:

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
By auto braking I presume you mean the car sensing something in front of you and if you don't react quick enough to the warning it applies the brake. In which case this is on the Pre Facelift (well on my 2014 Cupra anyway).
Does your car have the optional ACC? Don't the two systems need the same radar, so cars without ACC wouldn't have emergency braking (I'm not aware of having it on my 2015 280)?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Does your car have the optional ACC? Don't the two systems need the same radar, so cars without ACC wouldn't have emergency braking (I'm not aware of having it on my 2015 280)?

It wasn’t on my 280 either.

I believe that you are spot on regarding the pre facelift.
You can tell by the radar on the front.
IMG_0011.jpg

All facelift cars have the radar as standard and the emergency braking (UK at least) ACC is still optional though.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley

Yeah it's odd, the sidelights when the ignition is on are the full brightness of the DRL, but when the ignition is off they dim to an actual 'sidelight' level. It can be adjusted with Carista though as I saw the option there when I used it last.

Deleted member 103408

Agree totally. MrsMaypacks 2017 Leon Xcellence nearly put her through the windscreen when it applied the brakes due to a rogue bag.

Just to add to this, my motor is in the garage having upgraded fuel pump fitted and i have been given a brand new 1 litre Polo and the emergency brake warning has gone off twice on the 20 minute drive home, my 280 nothing happend.

Reactions: Maypack
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.