The Electric / Hybrid car will be the only choice soon

• Thread starter Deleted member 103408
  • Start date

Deleted member 103408

check out https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-c...1-eu-emissions-fines-study-idUKKCN1TR0B7?il=0

Autos

Large carmakers including VW, FCA could face 2021 EU emissions fines - study

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Volkswagen and FiatChrysler could face penalties of up to 1.83 billion euros (1.64 billion pounds) and 746 million euros respectively, if they fail to meet the European Union’s emissions targets set for 2021, according to AlixPartners.
The study by the consulting firm, which was published on Wednesday, shows how hard it is for carmakers to meet European rules for cutting average fleet emissions for passenger cars to 95 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre by 2021.

AlixPartners forecast the size of potential penalties based on the vehicle emissions levels reported by carmakers at the end of 2017. Since then, major carmakers have reduced carbon dioxide emissions through higher sales of electric and hybrid vehicles.

Volkswagen said it plans to comply with the European rules while FiatChrysler has said it will pursue the cheapest option for complying with the rules, a step which may include paying fines.

Volvo and Toyota are the only major carmaking groups which do not face penalties, and could sell their surplus emission credits to other carmakers, the study showed.

Volkswagen Group, faces the biggest fine because it is Europe’s biggest carmaker by market share. To meet European Union emissions rules it plans to mass produce electric cars in 2020.

“If you build heavier cars and have a large market share of diesels you have some homework to do if you want to mitigate possible penalties,” said Elmar Kades, Managing Director at AlixPartners.

“Customers are switching to petrol and this needs to be compensated with

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Volkswagen said it plans to comply with the European rules while FiatChrysler has said it will pursue the cheapest option for complying with the rules, a step which may include paying fines.

“Customers are switching to petrol and this needs to be compensated with

I like the fact, they might just stuff it and pay the fines. Yeah, customers are switching to petrol cause the government knocked the sales out of the diesel market declaring it dead.

My biggest fear with this, aside from the fact I don't think we have the infrastructure to support a mass exodus to electric, is the fat cats at the electric companies are going to kill us on price. Electric prices has risen every year since I've had a bill. Once they get all our cars plugged in, we'll have no choice but to pay whatever markup they add on. Of course "demand" will be greater and they'll use that to ramp prices up and capitalise on it.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
how long do you guys think it will take to expand though? even though electric cars are "popular", theyre still fairly rare all things considered

Deleted member 103408

They are rare but because of the climate change regulations VW Will in my opinion just stop making cars that are not either hybrid or full electric.

Apart from stopping them getting fined it will also reduce there staffing numbers as you need less people to make them.

Hopefully I am wrong but I forsee us all having to have 3 cars, Electric for driving in any built up area (as the congestion charge will penalise you)
Hybrid / small petrol to do any long journeys and an old Petrol for fun at the weekend.

Still I am going to be in my electric wheelchair by then assuming i can still charge it

:)

Deleted member 103408

I like the fact, they might just stuff it and pay the fines. Yeah, customers are switching to petrol cause the government knocked the sales out of the diesel market declaring it dead.

My biggest fear with this, aside from the fact I don't think we have the infrastructure to support a mass exodus to electric, is the fat cats at the electric companies are going to kill us on price. Electric prices has risen every year since I've had a bill. Once they get all our cars plugged in, we'll have no choice but to pay whatever markup they add on. Of course "demand" will be greater and they'll use that to ramp prices up and capitalise on it.

I agree but you are assuming that any govt is rational in planning for any big event.

You need to get yourself some solar panels and a generator.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I agree but you are assuming that any govt is rational in planning for any big event.

You need to get yourself some solar panels and a generator.

Plus... if the government gets about 60p a litre in fuel duty, plus 20% VAT. Where they going to get that revenue from if we all drive electric? Then if they put duty on the electric, we'll all suffer on our household bills further.

I could be placated by having an electric dune buggy in the boot that I can launch like Thunderbird 4. Failing that, I'll buy a pre-gpf petrol and try and keep it on the road till I die.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
They are rare but because of the climate change regulations VW Will in my opinion just stop making cars that are not either hybrid or full electric.

Apart from stopping them getting fined it will also reduce there staffing numbers as you need less people to make them.

Hopefully I am wrong but I forsee us all having to have 3 cars, Electric for driving in any built up area (as the congestion charge will penalise you)
Hybrid / small petrol to do any long journeys and an old Petrol for fun at the weekend.

Still I am going to be in my electric wheelchair by then assuming i can still charge it

:)
Bet you will start modding it and soon be flying around the area in the most souped up bathchair ever.

Deleted member 103408

Check out the video on my build thread, and yes. I went on a cruise with the family couple years ago and got talking to guys on there mobility scooters and they were having drag races up and down the deck, they also told me it is possible to upgrade the Electric ones as well :)

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I have no problem with electric/hybrid cars, as long as they perform well and have the range I need. Performance isnt an issue it seems, the top models are hugely fast and range is getting better, but they dont want to tell you that its one or the other. Use the power and the range plummets.

The primary issue is charging, I just cant do it at home, so until they put charging points everywhere its just a no go.

Car emissions are a red herring anyway. The top 5 cruise ship lines in the world generate more carbon than all Europes cars combined, and just one cruise line generates more SOx than all europes cars. Concrete causes more air pollution than vehicles do. Stopping fossil fuel use in cars wont do much to solve any problem.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
You can stick a hybrid system in a car and declare it low emissions but it doesn't mean it is. The BMW 330e is a hybrid with a 40l fuel tank and a 15 miles electric range. As soon as the batteries are empty it's a not very efficient heavy (extra 230kg) 2l turbo petrol and does mid 30s mpg at best but claims 44g/km co2.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
TBH I forgot about the petrol / hybrid thing. I should really know this... but does that mean Hybrids have a battery in the boot for the engine and one in the engine bay for electrics?

If so, surely I can just let the one in the boot run out and it's a petrol again? If so, it'd be my first mod!!

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
TBH I forgot about the petrol / hybrid thing. I should really know this... but does that mean Hybrids have a battery in the boot for the engine and one in the engine bay for electrics?

If so, surely I can just let the one in the boot run out and it's a petrol again? If so, it'd be my first mod!!
Yes, there's usually a standard 12v battery somewhere. But you still end up dragging round a quarter tonne of dead weight, have a car that is set up for battery power, might have a stupid cvt gearbox, gutless Atkins cycle engine and looks like a spaceship.

Reactions: Legojon

Deleted member 103408

with regards to the 330E here is a comment from @AndrewJB

Got a BMW 330E (hybrid petrol / electric) while my 3.4 Aspirated Porsche is in for warranty work.

on the book 25 miles range electric driving, in reality 9 miles. Can't even do my daily 12 mile commute with it.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
with regards to the 330E here is a comment from @AndrewJB

Got a BMW 330E (hybrid petrol / electric) while my 3.4 Aspirated Porsche is in for warranty work.

on the book 25 miles range electric driving, in reality 9 miles. Can't even do my daily 12 mile commute with it.

It was a terrible experience! car was like £33k new, all plastic interior, didn't feel quality at all. The range of the electric was a right let down, the only thing it had going for it was the 0-60 in electric which felt very quick.

Until SEAT release the E-Racer for road use ill stick to Petrol/Diesel.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Was reading the e-golf review last night (for college research - don't panic). 0-60 in 10 seconds and 124 miles range. And here was me feeling sorry for myself the Cupra's nearly in the red @ 174 miles. You too can have none of the thrill and get nowhere.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.