Black wheel nut covers

lfc84

Jul 23, 2018
Hi

I've got a Leon SE Dynamic Technology TSI - June 2018.

Some wheel nut covers fell off a few months ago and Seat told the dealer who I got the car off to post some to me. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the part numbers when they arrived and I'm reluctant to remove them off the car to find out the part numbers in case they don't fit on properly afterwards.

Now, 4 of the locking wheel nut covers have come off.

Seat told me to contact my local dealer, not the one I purchased the car off 300 miles away. They also said they wouldn't be FOC since the car is 13 months old now.

I'm reluctant to pay over the odds for bits of plastic ! Particularly if they are going to keep falling off.

Is anyone able to recommend alternatives off ebay ?

Thankyou !

Stoob

Apr 21, 2018
Hope you have better luck than I did. the covers on my locking wheel nuts fell off within a week of me picking the car up. Delaer flat out refused to replace them so ended up getting a set off Amazon

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Had a couple of covers fall off the wheel bolts on my VW and cost literally pennies to buy replacements at the VW dealer.

I stuck a small piece of electrical insulating tape to the inside of the covers to ensure they where a tight(er) fit when pushed into place on the wheel bolts. They never fell off again, but could still be removed easily when needed by using the removal tool from the car’s tool kit.

lfc84

Jul 23, 2018
I've ordered them using the ebay link above - thanks for replying

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Father had about 3 of these fall-off the car within a year/3K miles.
Local stealer, (not the same that supplied the car) replaced them for 'free' when they did
the first service, (not needed, but his request)
- but then they did shaft him on the overall service, so in reality he paid quite dearly for them...

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
When I went to buy some from my dealer, 94p each, he told me they had been having issues with the locking wheel covers coming off, VW apparently updated the design to make the tighter, mine have been spot in for over a year now!

Hemo83

Mar 10, 2019
Mi need to get some fresh one’s as my car arrived with white pitting all over covers. Looks a right bogger. Almost like salt abrasion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Mi need to get some fresh one’s as my car arrived with white pitting all over covers. Looks a right bogger. Almost like salt abrasion

Mine were like that on a VW, i'm sure it was some sort of wax (it was thick), i tried Tardis, etc to get it off without much luck so sprayed them gloss black

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

The white discolouration of black plastic wheel bolt covers is often caused by harsh (acid based) wheel cleaning products. When you’ve replaced them, it’s best to just use a good quality car shampoo on the wheels / wheel bolt covers, which should be sufficient to remove any dirt / brake dust build up if the wheels are well protected with a sealant or wax.

If you do feel the need to use a dedicated wheel cleaner, ensure that it’s a ph neutral product, so it shouldn’t degrade the colour of the black plastic bolt covers.

Reactions: kazand

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Are you guys sure you have them put on correct? The bolt covers on my Passat and my dads Skoda are damn rock solid.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
The white discolouration of black plastic wheel bolt covers is often caused by harsh (acid based) wheel cleaning products. When you’ve replaced them, it’s best to just use a good quality car shampoo on the wheels / wheel bolt covers, which should be sufficient to remove any dirt / brake dust build up if the wheels are well protected with a sealant or wax.

If you do feel the need to use a dedicated wheel cleaner, ensure that it’s a ph neutral product, so it shouldn’t degrade the colour of the black plastic bolt covers.
Both the hand car washes and the IMO/arc car washes have done this to my bolt covers , they manually pump and spray your wheels before you have your wash.

I avoid them these days.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Are you guys sure you have them put on correct? The bolt covers on my Passat and my dads Skoda are damn rock solid.
It's a quality issue with some of the older covers. I lost 7-8 of them from my 280 within the first 2 months of ownership. Bought some third party ones from ebay which seem to be much tighter and I have to use more force with the tool to remove them.

Reactions: KernelOkey

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Both the hand car washes and the IMO/arc car washes have done this to my bolt covers , they manually pump and spray your wheels before you have your wash.

I avoid them these days.
Yes, the hand car wash places generally use quite harsh cleaning products as time is money to them - not just on the wheels, but on the car’s paintwork too. By using these products, it’ll be quicker and take less effort to wash a car, and more cars washed per day = more profit.

The big downside for the poor customer is that in addition to there being a very high likelihood of swirls being inflicted on the car’s paintwork by the car washers using a poor wash technique, the harsh products they use will strip off any wax or sealant protection on the car after a few washes.

Acid based wheel cleaning products are particularly bad for diamond cut alloy wheels, as it can damage the clear coat on the wheels. If (or more likely when) this happens, it’s only a matter of time before white worm corrosion takes a hold.