Space saver

Apr 12, 2019
Can anyone confirm the sizing of space saver I’ll need with the 18” performance wheels. Going away in a few weeks and need a wheel and kit

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Yep, as the link above. I've got the 18" performance wheels and ordered the spare kit when I ordered the car. Its an 18" spare (plus tools). Needless to say on the day of delivery the dealer called to confirm collection followed by the news the wheel was here but the tools hadn't arrived. What the :censored: the car was ordered weeks ago. Some waffle about can't order without VIN. Not Happy/Rubbish I said, if I walked into the parts dept. and flashed my credit card they'd order the kit. Twenty minutes later phone call...its all sorted we had a tool kit in a stock car!
Keep the inflation kit and transfer back if buying again, did this with a string of Honda and couple of Nissan.

Apr 12, 2019
Thank guys, I think I’m going to try and get another alloy as a spare as I’ll only need to raise the floor circa 15-20mm and space savers and tool kits cost a fair bit even in fleabay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolverine_uk

Oct 18, 2018
I was lucky with mine and got it for £90 off sphock with insert, but otherwise yea expensive.
Mite be worth maybe even looking at a steel wheel if your gonna raise the floor and save a little more.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know what the actual size/spec space saver I need to get for my FR184 with factory 18" alloys? I'm looking to buy the wheel, jack etc separately and not from dealer.

I've done a fair bit of searching but get confused with the info I find.

Thanks

TR

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Must be a fair chance T125/70R18 but see if anyone has other ideas.

Put that one and yours into a tyre size calculator and see if they are within a close % the same diameter.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
There might be a couple or more different ET or offsets versions of the 18" space saver, so going only with the tyre fitted is not always the best plan. I think that this has been pointed out in another thread.

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
There might be a couple or more different ET or offsets versions of the 18" space saver, so going only with the tyre fitted is not always the best plan. I think that this has been pointed out in another thread.

thanks for pointing this out.... in that case, is there any kind of reference number for the space saver I need to look for to be sure it fits correctly regarding offset etc??

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Pretty sure the space saver will be the same for all of the wheel sizes. They are almost always smaller in diameter than the alloys anyway, which is why you shouldn't run them on the driven wheels. One of the reasons.

Gota love the ST! Room for a full sized 17'' alloy in there :0)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Sure, but the space saver is not the same diameter as the standard road wheel so if the OP looks for one that is he might be looking for a while!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes I appreciate that, the wheels diameter option is only there to allow for front brake clearance and so not directly connected with the standard wheel diameter.

davebnly

I LOVE BOOST!
Aug 27, 2006
Lancashire
As above, the fact that your FR came with 18" Alloys from factory is irrelevant as they can also come with 17" from the factory and both have the same rolling radius.
I had the same issue, car came with an inflation kit but i wanted to have a spare spacesaver. You need to buy the 18" one (as VAG 16" spares will not fit over the front brake calipers on the FR)
125/70/18 is the size that you will need if you are running 225/40/18 standard size tyres.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You need to buy the 18" one (as VAG 16" spares will not fit over the front brake calipers on the FR).

Are you sure? a 16'' saver came with my 2.0 TDi Golf GT. Besides, you shouldn't be putting the space saver on the front anyway.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.