does the mk3 have side impact protection / bars?

andycupra

status subject to change
hi all,

can anyone confirm if the mk3 leon, (2013 in this case) has side impact intrusion protection / side impact bars.

Bit embarrassed i have not been able to find this out myself!

A friend has damaged there rear door and has two garages telling them the other is lying regards the bar being broken or "it doesnt have impact bars"

thanks

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
hi all,

can anyone confirm if the mk3 leon, (2013 in this case) has side impact intrusion protection / side impact bars.

Bit embarrassed i have not been able to find this out myself!

A friend has damaged there rear door and has two garages telling them the other is lying regards the bar being broken or "it doesnt have impact bars"

thanks
I suppose it depends what they mean, I wonder if they're arguing of whether it has a separate bar that can be replaced, or if the construction is effectively makes it 1 piece from a crash structure point of view.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Not specifically relating to the Leon, but side impact protection on Seats in general - from the Seat website;

https://www.seat.com/car-terms/s/side-impact-protection.html

There is specific reference to Seat cars using side impact bars, and they can be seen in cutaway diagram (Seat Alhambra?).

I’d be very surprised if the Leon didn’t have side impact bars. The mk3 Vauxhall Astra I had in the early 1990’s had side impact bars in the doors. Not fitting them would surely have a significant detrimental impact on Euro NCAP crash test scores for side impacts.

Reactions: Walone

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, the passenger whacked the back of his head off the door pillar. So that's reassuring.

andycupra

status subject to change