Cupra Wheel Downsizing (Recommendations?)

Which size wheels for a Mk3 Cupra?

• Total voters

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
Hi all,

I drive a 2014 Leon Cupra 280 and I've heard about the many benefits of downsizing from 19" alloys, namely less noise, greater ride comfort, cheaper tyres and the best of all, lower rotational mass for faster acceleration!
The noise is a real issue for me too.

So realistically, do you recommend remaining with the 19"s, downsizing to 18", or even 17"?

If so, do you have any wheel recommendations? I love the look of my current alloys (refurbished stock 19"s from the 280) and would prefer to exaggerate the effects of the lower rotational mass, so lighter the better.

Thanks all!

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
OZ Ultraleggera are a nice light wheel and offer good brake clearance if you still wanted a BBK.
I found OZ Leggeras but no ultras yet. Never seen such a big £££ for a wheel! Look awesome though

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

I have the 19" OZ Wheels and they are very nice and great for track work as well.
brake 3.jpg

If you have any plans for a big brake kit then I suspect you have to have 19"

I would say the Cupra is not a 0 - 60 machine much more about 30 - 150 so not sure how much you gain in time with dropping to 18"

Also the ex cupra youtuber aellis got himself some 18" and when he put them on he released he had to lower the car to make them look better.

You should check out the threads on here about cabin noise and what people have done to improve it (sound deadening and different makes of tyres)

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I have the 19" OZ Wheels and they are very nice and great for track work as well.
View attachment 8447

I would say the Cupra is not a 0 - 60 machine much more about 30 - 150 so not sure how much you gain in time with dropping to 18"

Also the ex cupra youtuber aellis got himself some 18" and when he put them on he released he had to lower the car to make them look better.

You should check out the threads on here about cabin noise and what people have done to improve it (sound deadening and different makes of tyres)

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
View attachment 8447

370mm kits (like the Sub8/PP/Carbon/CupraR) will fit under Ultrealeggera 18's. Just.

Your 380mm kit and the new 380mm Racingline kit need 19".

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I'd say the only draw back with lighter wheels on a Cupra would be increased wheel hop on accelaration but you could improve comfort , I've found from experience that if you start looking at ways to improve comfort and fix rattles the writing is on the wall lol.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Aren't the 18s also a thinner tyre as well? 225 vs 235?

Deleted member 103408

I think that is what he has now and they are 19" (well at least mine were)

Reactions: Kothaex

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
Depends on your priorities I guess but Pilot Sport 4S (my tyre of choice) isn't available in 18". That would be the biggest drawback for me.
I got some Goodyear eagle A1 aymmetrics for my front two corners and the difference was massive. Still have some bargain bin rubber on the back though. Yet to check if the A1s come in 18" as I would buy them again in a heartbeat

Personally can't see mps4s being much more of a step up but I know they get good reviews from you guys.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.